Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2015, 04:00 AM
Find More Posts by crasha
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
328 Posts
Thanks for following the build Castel!

More painting. Lots of masking and airbrushing.

I had trouble getting a perfect finish with the decals using decal pro. Some of the smaller ones are OK but it is no good for the large ones. After lots of wasted time I decided to do it the old fashioned way and printed out the stars and bars on sticker paper then hand cut each one out to make an airbrushing mask.

Very happy with the result. Way better than any decals I have seen and surprisingly less work than I first thought.

Also started some weathering. It will not be totally finished in time for the next jet event which is in 3 days so I will soon give it a coat of clear and get it ready to fly again. Then get back to the detailing after the event.
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Last edited by crasha; Apr 29, 2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:54 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
328 Posts
More masking and decal painting. Not finished yet but getting ready to fly again. Will have to finish off the decals later. The drop shadow on the tail lettering was quite a challenge to cut by hand!
Old May 03, 2015, 07:25 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
328 Posts
Had 5 perfect flights at the WA jet rally. The F-22 performed flawlesly and looked great with the new paint.

Still need to fit the gear doors and finish the decals. Probably take a short break on the raptor build while I work on a sport jet I am designing.

Jetlegend F-22 at Western Australian jet rally 2015 (7 min 12 sec)
Old May 08, 2015, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by gunradd
KingtechUSA
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Apr 2009
2,910 Posts
Fantastic work Crasha!! It really looks great. Looks like the same colors as mine. Its nice to see someone paint one right

BTW on my raptor I went ahead and did the RDS linkages and they are working great. Just did flight number 496 at topgun.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old May 10, 2015, 01:59 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
328 Posts
Thanks Gunradd

I copied your colours using the model master paints. Instead of using lots of tiny bottles I bought 2 and had them colour matched in acrylic automotive paint. Very happy with the result. Your posts in the sport jet paint thread saved alot of guesswork

Glad to hear the RDS works well. It sure must help to improve your static scores at Topgun! The rudder links especially look pretty bad on the JL F-22

I am still keen to try the RDS but may wait until I mold new fins with the rudder actuator bulges like the full size. New wings with the bulges and leading edge flaps would be great too. Just need to find the time to do it all