3,077 Posts
and more pics...
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old May 30, 2004, 09:35 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
And here's what happens when you misjudge the length of your final approach, the wind balloons the plane a foot up, and the plane wraps its right wing around your right leg...

I sent an email to Bill, and hopefully he can send me another wing! Soon!
Doc
Old May 30, 2004, 09:58 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
OUCH!!! I hope your legs ok

I slept in late today...Didnt get back my esc for the E3D yet...
Maybe next weekend...

Sorry for the carnage...What a sweet plane man...

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old May 31, 2004, 09:38 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
She looks great Doc! I'm sure that you'll have her back in flying trim in no time.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old May 31, 2004, 12:05 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,072 Posts
Looked good!!! Fun plane to fly.

Next time land 50' out like the rest of us 'have' to do Ha. Less mishaps that way . Oh, and stand behind a pilots station -- won't help the plane, but will help the pilot !
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old May 31, 2004, 02:25 PM
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_z_123
OUCH!!! I hope your legs ok

Sorry for the carnage...What a sweet plane man...

Jon
My leg is fine - I didn't even feel it. Actually, I was surprised at the damage, the plane was just about to touch down and moving quite slowly...

I don't think I've ever done something quite so stupid before. I was knife edging along the field for Joe to take pics. Joe said I should land to check how the battery is doing on the 9x6 prop. I was out about 40 yards or so in a knife edge coming from the right about 4 feet off the deck. Since I was so low, I didn't think to go around - just rolled the plane, cut the throttle, and set up to land on my left. What I underestimated was the gusty wind: I was absolutely certain the plane will touch down ahead of me and on the left so Joe can take another picture on landing. Then, as the wheels were about ready to touch down, a wind gust picked the plane up a foot or so, and blew it into me. I tried to jump out of the way, but it was too late. The right wing broke near the fuse, but the rest of the plane is intact. I was thinking of rebuilding the broken part of the wing, but with all the high-G maneuvers I put it through, I'll always worry about it fracturing again and this time in teh air.

So I learned my lesson. The price for my arrogance and stupidity this time is only a broken wing. Hopefully Bill can ship me another one soon - the Groove has become my favorite plane of all time, and I can't stand not being able to fly it.

Doc
Old Jun 01, 2004, 09:39 AM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,415 Posts
Doc,
Are you still flying the 2808-20 or have you changed to the 2808-24? If you've changed, how did you like it?

Brad
byoung is online now Find More Posts by byoung
Old Jun 01, 2004, 12:11 PM
AMA 148796
Where it Rains
Joined Jul 2002
1,058 Posts
Beautiful covering job! How in the world did you do the eagle?
ken_keeler is offline Find More Posts by ken_keeler
Old Jun 01, 2004, 05:55 PM
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_keeler
Beautiful covering job! How in the world did you do the eagle?
Thanks, Ken. The eagle wing was precut out of black solite, and was "stitched" onto the red solite which was cut out in the same shape beforehand. The overlap between the black and red solite is 3-4mm.

The body of the eagle on the fuse was just overlayed - did the top of the fuse in red, the bottom in white, then cut out the eagle shape and ironed it on top of the other solite - didn't have to patience to do stitching on three colors and complex shapes.

I'm more or less happy with the way it all came out - I'm not very good at drawing, so this was as good an immitation of an eagle as I could get freehand. My "friends", though, insist that my bald eagle looks more like a "bald pigeon"...
Doc
Old Jun 01, 2004, 06:03 PM
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoung
Doc,
Are you still flying the 2808-20 or have you changed to the 2808-24? If you've changed, how did you like it?

Brad
Hi Brad,
Only a couple of people offered to buy the /20 and for ridiculus prices, so I decided to keep it. The pictures above were taken with a 9x6 APC-E prop, and it tested at 22.5-23A static at WOT on the wattmeter a number of times, so I take it the measurements are reliable. The battery after a 5-6min flight was barely warm, and the ESC was pretty happy too. The power was obviously not the same as with the 10x5 prop, but still plenty for just about anything including hovering and torque-rolling, and then pulling straight up without hesitation. Almost finished a knife-edge loop, but the wind swept me out at the end. So, I'll stick with the /20 and the 9x6 prop for now. Of course, my wing is busted, so further testing is postponed until I get the new wing from Bill. I'll keep you informed.
Doc

P.S. If I had to choose a new motor again, though, I'd pick up a /24 without hesitation.
Old Jun 02, 2004, 09:59 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Hi Doc, what battery are you using to power the 2808/20? I see you've also tried the 10 X 5 prop, what amps where you pulling with it? One more question, why would you switch to the /24?

I'm not trying to change the subject on your fine Groove but the reason that I ask is that I'm looking for an outrunner motor to replace the geared S400 in my GWS Corsair. You have tried the motors I was thinking about using myself. It's a bit overweight (22 oz.) with all of the additions I've made. Even on a 10-950 KAN pack it still doesn't have the performance I'm after, not fast enough.

The noise from the gearbox is also getting tiresome as all I'd like to hear is airframe and prop noise. I also plan on trying one of the new Hi-output 3s Lipo packs. What motor would you recommend?
Last edited by GregG; Jun 02, 2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2004, 11:12 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,072 Posts
Quote:
not fast enough
If I was looking for speed, I wouldn't look at the AXI. I think about a DD Mega 1615/5 with a 6x5.5 or 7x5 or even /4. My /5 flys my 21oz P-51 very well..... Fast enough for me . Mounting would be much easier as well....

Having said that, I have both the 2808/20 and /24 as well . The /20 will pull your plane faster than the /24 but not as fast as the mega . The /20 pulls my 52" 28oz Acrocub around plenty fast with a 9x4.5E on 9 cell CPB1050 packs. What the /24 buys for you is you can throw a bigger prop at lower RPM (in my case a 11x8E) which fits the groove rather well -- not after raw 'speed' here, just a good balance of 'enough' speed and good thrust for acrobatics .

Hope that helps.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Jun 02, 2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2004, 05:49 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
I was thinking that I'd need at least a 9-10" prop to pull the Corsair through the air. It's doesn't have the clean airframe of the groove and has a thick underchambered wing.

Hmmmm, hadn't even thought about the Mega motors. After looking them all over I kinda like the 16/25/4. It's rated at 25 amps max. and with a 9 cell pack and 8 X 4.5 prop, 11640 RPM at 17.7 amps. I wonder how many amps it'll pull with a 3s Lipo pack and a 9 X 5or6 prop?