HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:12 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Help!
Zagi-33HP Motor and ESC setup! IT SMOKES!!

I have a Zagi-33HP with the Thunder Power lipo, the 40A ESC and the 3300kV brushless motor that came with it all in the kit. I have the radio (DX6i) bound to the rx (AR400), I can move the servos as they need to move. But when I plug the motor in, and give it some throttle, the motor dose this chatter while it spins super slow, and then it wants to start to smoke.

I cant seem to find any wiring diagrams for this ESC and motor. Everything I see says "Just plug all the wires in". THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE!!! ALL of my years of RC and playing with energy says "NO!! THIS IS WRONG! ITS GOING TO BLOW UP!!!".

There are no clear directions as to what to connect to where.

Any and ALL help would be much MUCH appreciated.
4x4jay is offline Find More Posts by 4x4jay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:09 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,886 Posts
Sounds like a bad motor or ESC to me. I had a bad ESC do that to motors. If you have some parts you don't mind using for testing, try spinning up a different motor, then change the ESC. See where the problem goes. Keep throttle low to prevent killing any good components, but it is possible, so keep that in mind when selecting parts to test.

As for wiring, ESCs usually have 2 leads on one end, 3 on the other. The 2 are battery input polarity matters. The 3 are the motor leads, and they cannot be connected incorrectly. The only thing that can happen is the motor direction reverses. If that happens, swap any 2 wires.

If you know power, the motor is basically a 3-phase AC induction motor.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Jul 30, 2014, 04:00 AM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,470 Posts
Sounds like a bad ESC to me. I've had a similar problem multiple times and I can't remember it ever being the motor.
MadMonkey572 is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey572