HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2013, 07:03 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Discussion
Funjet EDF

Having being inspired by Junglegym's EDF Funjet Ultra http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2003381, I converted my own Ultra to take a 70mm Wemotec Evo unit and whilst it works extremely well I decided that I'd like to have a bash at doing a neater installation so after a rush of blood to the head, I've started another, but this time using the standard Funjet airframe.
The reasons for this are:
(1) I just happened to have one in its box stashed away.
(2) If I'm honest, I prefer the look of the wing tip tanks.
(3) It has a slightly thicker wing than the Ultra so it'll have nice handling characteristics at slower speeds during landing.
(4) As already mentioned I wanted to do much neater installation than I've achieved with the Ultra.
(5) I've too much time on my hands!

So far I've fitted two strips of 3mm x 0.5mm carbon (on edge) into the fuselage bottom for added strength in case of an unscheduled heavy landing, fitted a battery retention plate with Velcro strip similar to the Funjet Ultra, cut the rear top decking to shape and shaped the lower rear fuselage to accommodate the Wemotec fan duct. This time I've managed to leave a lot more foam in place at the rear of the fuselage and have managed to shape it to perfectly match the fan duct for maximum support. The shaping was done with coarse grit paper wrapped around a suitable form which in this case was a tub of Lightweight balsa filler.
The next task will be to let in some hardwood bearers and longerons for the duct mounting lugs to locate on prior to final assembly and hardware installation.
Any comments or useful advice gratefully received.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2013, 07:15 PM
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,026 Posts
looks good
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old Nov 28, 2013, 05:46 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc View Post
looks good
Thanks Airboss; Today I've made and the installed the fan duct bearers and these are simply cut from offcuts of Lite-Ply, but I still need to make load spreaders to go on the upper and lower surfaces, these give much needed rigidity to the rear fuselage assembly and prevent the fan duct from pitching up or down during flight. The $6,000,000 question is, do I fit the intake lip, or go without. I know Wemotec say there is a definite difference in performance if the lip is fitted, but will I notice that performance difference considering the nature of the Funjet's installation? Also, the lip weighs 14g and that's weight I don't really need behind the CG. I'll see...
Old Nov 28, 2013, 06:41 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
The $6,000,000 question is, do I fit the intake lip, or go without.
I would draw up a new custom intake and have it 3D printed
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:22 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Thanks Airboss; Today I've made and the installed the fan duct bearers and these are simply cut from offcuts of Lite-Ply, but I still need to make load spreaders to go on the upper and lower surfaces, these give much needed rigidity to the rear fuselage assembly and prevent the fan duct from pitching up or down during flight. The $6,000,000 question is, do I fit the intake lip, or go without. I know Wemotec say there is a definite difference in performance if the lip is fitted, but will I notice that performance difference considering the nature of the Funjet's installation? Also, the lip weighs 14g and that's weight I don't really need behind the CG. I'll see...
From everything I have read on the 70mm Evo, I would try with the intake lip. The Funjet is already poor for an EDF intake......you need all the help you can get with a 70mm fan.

I am really looking forward to some video of this one!
pylonboy is offline Find More Posts by pylonboy
Old Nov 30, 2013, 03:00 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Here's a pic of the colour scheme so far, but there's more detailing to be added before final assembly and hardware installation.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,020 Posts
Very nice looking bird!

Two advantages going EDF on a funjet, much quieter with a real jet sound sound (using the right fan), and it won't cut your fingers off during launch!
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Dec 03, 2013, 09:52 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
The project is finally finished........maybe, but I still can't make my mind up about an intake lip or maybe some sort of shroud. Meantime I will carry out the first flight to see what's what and make a decision based on that.
The AUW with a Zippy 2650mAh 4s on board is 836.4g (29.5ozs) and 38.5g of that is the scale-ish canopy conversion: the standard foam canopy weighs just 14g. I have off set some of this extra weight by replacing the standard wing spar, which weighs in at 20.1g, with a carbon one which is only 8g. It's not much, but every little helps!
I'm not sure when the first flight will be due to work commitments and the weather, but hopefully it'll be sometime within the next 7 days. At some point I will endeavour to obtain some video footage of a flight as the sound, or rather lack of, has to be experienced to be believed, not to mention the performance.
Old Dec 03, 2013, 06:46 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,256 Posts
Very Nice!! I can't wait to hear the EVO on there. What motor is it? ESC?
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:10 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Very Nice!! I can't wait to hear the EVO on there. What motor is it? ESC?
Motor is a HET 2W-20, ESC is a Black Mantis 70A and servos are MKS DS6100. The motor came already fitted in the Evo, and the servos and ESC were from my Funjet Ultra.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 07:17 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Looking good BEN
I like the 'Stars &Bars" scheme , very cool mate
junglegym is offline Find More Posts by junglegym
Old Dec 04, 2013, 07:38 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
You're too kind!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:58 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
The maiden flight was 100% success with only two 'clicks' of up trim need with no thrust line issues. This is one seriously cool Funjet to fly, the handling is so much nicer than the Ultra airframe and the performance is more than adequate with unlimited vertical. I hope to include a short video clip shortly, but I have to edit it first and my day job is getting in the way!
Some pics meantime:
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:49 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Video

What the heck, here's a short unedited video just to give an idea what the Evo fan sounds like, and the performance.
Apologies for the quality, it was filmed using an old iPhone.

Funjet EDF (0 min 55 sec)
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Dec 22, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 02:19 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
I've never been happy with the simple piece of tape holding the motors wires in place to prevent them being ingested by the fan so I devised another method that is more pleasing to my 'neat' mind. The picture shows what I've done, but basically it's two ply bearers cyanoed in place, a piece of thin plastic and 4 steel screws, after all why just ingest one piece of sticky tape when 4 steel screws, 2 pieces of ply wood and a sheet of plastic will ensure absolute and catastrophic failure of the fan? Way to go!
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Dec 15, 2013 at 07:30 AM.