Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:35 PM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Are you running 3.14?
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:43 PM
BB1
Registered User
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined May 2013
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
I got better video signal when phantom comes to home, after repositioning the VTX (transversal) so the antenna keeps side LOS with RX. See picts below.
I feel this is a very reasonable compromise for FPV, provided the majority of your flight time is spent traveling directly away from home and returning back. The majority of my flights seem to take on this pattern-- i.e. travel to a planned waypoint and then quickly return before my battery runs out.

My horizon antenna solution is also a compromise. While I can seemingly orient my Phantom in any direction without loosing signal quality at long range, flying too fast can cause the video quality to decline due to the highly elliptical shape of the antenna's radiation pattern.
BB1 is offline Find More Posts by BB1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 06:17 PM
Registered User
redrider2's Avatar
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Jul 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Are you running 3.14?
Yes 3.14 is what I downloaded last night.
redrider2 is offline Find More Posts by redrider2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 06:23 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
flboy286's Avatar
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider2 View Post
Yes 3.14 is what I downloaded last night.
This had nothing to do with the firmware, but rather pilot error.
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 06:44 PM
Registered User
redrider2's Avatar
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Jul 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286 View Post
This had nothing to do with the firmware, but rather pilot error.
Well if you consider trusting the programming to do what it is suppose to do and trying to figure out what each series of blinking lights means since no manual is sent with the quad to "save costs", then yes you are exactly right pilot error.

Anyway my point is if you recalibrate the compass, I would unplug the battery then plug is back in to let the system reboot unless you don't mind no home point being recorded.
redrider2 is offline Find More Posts by redrider2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 06:51 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
flboy286's Avatar
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider2 View Post
Well if you consider trusting the programming to do what it is suppose to do and trying to figure out what each series of blinking lights means since no manual is sent with the quad to "save costs", then yes you are exactly right pilot error.

Anyway my point is if you recalibrate the compass, I would unplug the battery then plug is back in to let the system reboot unless you don't mind no home point being recorded.
If you haven't been to DJI's website and watch the videos & downloaded ALL of the manuals, then whoms to blame?

But hey, it's your $$$$, not mine.
.
It's one thing to trust a program, it's another to know how it works.
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:00 PM
Registered User
redrider2's Avatar
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Jul 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286 View Post
If you haven't been to DJI's website and watch the videos & downloaded ALL of the manuals, then whoms to blame?

But hey, it's your $$$$, not mine.
.
It's one thing to trust a program, it's another to know how it works.
I went to the website and watched the videos before I ever even laid eyes on my phantom, but sorry no human can memorize every word and every image on the videos not to mention he never said "if you have to recalibrate the compass be sure to cycle the power off then on again so the home point is recorded".

But I am not blaming anyone...just passing along some info that might be helpful to someone else. Why don't YOU try that sometime instead of trying to put someone down who doesn't deserve it. You might feel better about yourself.
redrider2 is offline Find More Posts by redrider2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:05 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider2 View Post
I went to the website and watched the videos before I ever even laid eyes on my phantom, but sorry no human can memorize every word and every image on the videos not to mention he never said "if you have to recalibrate the compass be sure to cycle the power off then on again so the home point is recorded".

But I am not blaming anyone...just passing along some info that might be helpful to someone else. Why don't YOU try that sometime instead of trying to put someone down who doesn't deserve it. You might feel better about yourself.
redrider... Sorry, but many of us that have diligently followed the instructions and had little to no issues get really tired of hearing what the Phantom can and will do if you do not follow the instructions. This is not helpful info but hurtful info.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:14 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,536 Posts
Printed Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider2 View Post
Well if you consider trusting the programming to do what it is suppose to do and trying to figure out what each series of blinking lights means since no manual is sent with the quad to "save costs", then yes you are exactly right pilot error.
Anyway my point is if you recalibrate the compass, I would unplug the battery then plug is back in to let the system reboot unless you don't mind no home point being recorded.
I don't think saving costs was DJI's intent at all.
In a digital economy where technology changes literally overnight, printed manuals are history.
By the time the product gets to you, the manual has been updated.
The DJI product lines have moved that fast ever since I started using them.
I'm afraid that if a printed manual had been supplied, you'd be complaining that it is out of date...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Tx POI
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:20 PM
Quad Pilot
Jumanoc's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
redrider... Sorry, but many of us that have diligently followed the instructions and had little to no issues get really tired of hearing what the Phantom can and will do if you do not follow the instructions. This is not helpful info but hurtful info.
Agreed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider2 View Post
Just got my DJI Phantom yesterday and all I can say is...AMAZING!!!!
...
...
I love this quad and cant wait to try even more of my crazy ideas with it like hovering and filming while we jump dirt bikes on cam, spying on the neighbors, and the list goes on and on.....
In addition I suggest you to read about laws and privacy rights before filming on your neighbor's places.
Jumanoc is online now Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2013
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
Agreed !



In addition I suggest you to read about laws and privacy rights before filming on your neighbor's places.
When I read his post I actually thought someone was trolling the forum or making a joke. Clearly this type of irresponsible flying will cause the hobby to be more regulated which is why people on this forum are going to respond the way they are.

I hope redrider will take the criticism to heart and not blow it off.
Markinter is offline Find More Posts by Markinter
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:38 PM
Unregulated User
Sac D's Avatar
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2013
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I don't think saving costs was DJI's intent at all.
In a digital economy where technology changes literally overnight, printed manuals are history.
By the time the product gets to you, the manual has been updated.
The DJI product lines have moved that fast ever since I started using them.
I'm afraid that if a printed manual had been supplied, you'd be complaining that it is out of date...
I don't think redrider2 is interested in reading any manual... skimming through it and feeling they have it all down based on that seems to be the M.O. of a lot of new flyers joining the ranks... these are the same guys that come back later asking why their phantom got away from them.
Sac D is offline Find More Posts by Sac D
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:41 PM
Registered User
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
791 Posts
Thinking of getting into FPV, got the Zenmuse and my hero 3.
I don't think I want to use glasses, but a small screen that allows me to see what the gopro sees. What is the cheapest and lightest system to get the job done that can connect to the Zenmuse easily? With the Zenmuse my phantom is getting heavy and full, so I need light and small!

Or is DJI going to release an app that allows me to use my ipad to view soon?
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:56 PM
Registered User
QUESTPACT's Avatar
United States, NY, East Aurora
Joined Apr 2013
52 Posts
Hey guys after months of tweaking I finally achieved some good footage with our DJI Phantom

Check out the vid! and like you youtube!

DJI Phantom Video Contest - Niagara Falls (5 min 2 sec)
QUESTPACT is offline Find More Posts by QUESTPACT
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:06 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,536 Posts
The Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUESTPACT View Post
Hey guys after months of tweaking I finally achieved some good footage with our DJI Phantom
Check out the vid! and like you youtube!
http://youtu.be/cfoLYTKObiU
Exceptional!
Perfect use of this technology...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Tx POI
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Quadcopter Frame BUILD Thread Quad_Addict Multirotor Talk 78 Mar 17, 2014 10:20 PM
Mini-HowTo POSTING VIDEO: How to Upgrade a Gaui 330x quadcopter with a DJI NAZA Lucidity47 Multirotor Talk 5 Jun 07, 2012 12:31 AM
Video Multiwii Quadcopter Dji F-450 frame Updated Video Anda Inc. Electric Heli Talk 1 May 23, 2012 02:51 PM
Discussion DJI S800 Spreading Wings has landed at Quadcopters UK Headquarters QuadcoptersUk Multirotor Talk 8 May 14, 2012 01:27 PM