HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Question
What is the best landing gear for Multiplex Easystar?

I thought about putting landing gear on my easystar, however, I haven't been able to find a landing gear that looks like it will work with the easystar.
easystarfpv4 is offline Find More Posts by easystarfpv4
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:12 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
landing gear ??!! why the need for wheels..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:32 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
It's hard to do gear for the EZ* without adding a lot of drag and ruining the clean aerodynamics that allow it to fly with a small prop.

You need to lift the nose fairly high to give the wing enough indecence to take off, and you need wide gear to prevent it tipping over.

I really wouldn't bother - get a FunCub instead.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by easystarfpv4 View Post
I thought about putting landing gear on my easystar, however, I haven't been able to find a landing gear that looks like it will work with the easystar.
You could imbed a plywood plate in the belly, and clamp an axle to it, with a light-weight wheel on each end. (Make sure the axle is lined up with the leading edge of the wing). Or, you could imbed a retractable, single wheel unit, in the belly of the model. This last method will require nipping out a piece of the carbon rod, that is in the groove there, but that is not a threat to the integrity of the model.
This last method is more elegant, and more like a full-scale sailplane.
Good luck with it!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
It's belly!!
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:51 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,382 Posts
Considering you have no prop limitations regarding ground clearance, you can use basically anything you want. You could even just shove a rod clear through the bottom of the fuse (maybe 0.5"-0.75" up), epoxy it in place, and mount your wheels to it.

I would agree about just leaving it as a belly lander, though. Unless you have some very specific need for landing gear, you can land (and maybe even take off) using the plane's belly.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,492 Posts
Seems like a waste of time to me. But then again, we in the hobby love a challange. I have an EZ and don't know why I would put wheels on it.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:53 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
You could even just shove a rod clear through the bottom of the fuse (maybe 0.5"-0.75" up)
That works well for landing on a hard surface, but it doesn't give the wings enough incidence for take off. The plane ends up scooting across the ground at full speed until it hits a bump big enough to bounce it into the air.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:09 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,003 Posts
I installed a single wheel (40 mm dia.) as per gliders, level with the leading edge of the wing, on my Bixler. Only half the wheel sticks out into the airstream. It will take off providing the wings are held level as power is put on - hard. Takes off looking like a U2 on takeoff - full throttle, hard back on the stick.

To save holding the plane level you could put thin wire skids on each wing near the tips.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention