729 Posts
Thanks.
Greg Gimlick is online now Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:51 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
I picked up one at the AMA Convention Saturday and found I have two servos that seem to have a mind of their own (rudder and one aileron)...The rudder one can be replaced easily, but the aileron one will require some surgery

Sure wish I had ordered the one from Hobby Lobby......looks like a GREAT upgrade!

Jerry
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:58 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
That's a big bummer Tailskid. I was lucky, all my servos are still stock and working ok (knocking on wood). I think you will love this plane once you get it all sorted out. It flies really nice and I love that giant fat fuselage. I was at the AMA expo too, I looked at the green P47 saturday morning, and it was gone in the afternoon when I tried to show it to my brother. I think you must have bought it. I like the green! I may paint mine.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:03 AM
Norway, Ostfold, Skiptvet
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
Hi,My name is Erik. I received my p-47 yesterday, She is soo big and beautiful .
Do you fellow pilots have any god tips on tail wheel wire.
acekire is offline Find More Posts by acekire
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:09 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
Maybe Saturday?

I'm almost done....don't want to rush it, but man this is one big bird (for an electric).

Might get out the air brush and add some 'character' to her.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:57 AM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acekire View Post
Hi,My name is Erik. I received my p-47 yesterday, She is soo big and beautiful .
Do you fellow pilots have any god tips on tail wheel wire.
Hi Erik, you will love the way this plane flies. This is my first pull-pull tail wheel so I am no expert at all. I originally hooked it up with the hardware provided but on about the 10th flight one of my crimps slipped. If I had a good crimper, that method probably would have worked fine. But I ended up adding some of those little servo arm connectors and a piece of metal control rod to make it really easy to adjust the the tail wheel centering. This way I could just tie a knot in the wire on both ends and slide the control rod to make adjustments. I also added some scrap-wood guides to keep things from flopping around when the tail wheel is retracted.

I also added springs in-line with the wires but that was overkill and really not necessary. If you feel like tinkering, the springs have worked out well for me. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=642
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:21 AM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
729 Posts
I did my tail wheel using the recommended method and provided hardware, so far it's fine. When it does come time to replace it though I will use the Dubro hardware so it can be adjusted to tighten the wires.

The only thing I changed was the CG which I set at 90 mm instead of the 110 recommended. At this setting it flys like a dream and inverted flight is easy with hardly any elevator.

I prefer the APC-E 18x12 two blade prop over the scale four bladed prop, but the scale prop does fly it and it looks good.

This will be a review in an upcoming issue of Model Airplane News, but I don't know the issue date yet.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:36 AM
ham
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Dragør
Joined Mar 2007
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gimlick View Post
I did my tail wheel using the recommended method and provided hardware, so far it's fine. When it does come time to replace it though I will use the Dubro hardware so it can be adjusted to tighten the wires.

The only thing I changed was the CG which I set at 90 mm instead of the 110 recommended. At this setting it flys like a dream and inverted flight is easy with hardly any elevator.

I prefer the APC-E 18x12 two blade prop over the scale four bladed prop, but the scale prop does fly it and it looks good.

This will be a review in an upcoming issue of Model Airplane News, but I don't know the issue date yet.
Beautiful photos I like the Eileen paint scheme much better than my Hun hunter. Looking forward to the review in model airplane news.
ham is offline Find More Posts by ham
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:10 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
815 Posts
Greg,

I am with Ham! Love the photos of your plane and look forward to the review.

Cheers,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:14 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
729 Posts
Thanks, my buddy Wayne flys when I do the photos and he positions it well for me, that makes it a lot easier. I submitted about 30 flight shots, but they'll only use a few.

I really like the flying on the 18x12 two bladed prop, but the scale prop looks nice.

I also can't wait to get back out to Denver and fly at Cherry Creek. We park the motorhome there when we visit our oldest son in Thornton.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:51 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,239 Posts
gorgeous plane greg! love it!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:46 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
815 Posts
Starmax P-47 at Cherry Creek

Hi Greg,

Glad to hear you like visiting Cherry Creek. Maybe I will see you out there. I am VP of the Denver RC Eagles RC club. I usually fly during the week.

In the meanwhile, you will enjoy this video of the Starmax P-47 which was shot at Cherry Creek.

Sincerely,

Jackson

Hun Hunter On Patrol Dec 2012 (5 min 13 sec)
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:46 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
729 Posts
Wow Jackson, really nice video! That looked great and the sound was very nice. That was a gorgeous flight and nice stills too.

I hope to see you when we're out this year. I want to come out in July for the national Smartcar convention and stay til September, but unless my wife retires ahead of schedule that won't happen. Looks like a September trip this year.

Greg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:19 AM
Norway, Ostfold, Skiptvet
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
Thanks CrashMaster for great tips, i like the adjustable rods.
This is why i love this rcforums
Great video Jackson:

Erik
acekire is offline Find More Posts by acekire
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:15 PM
Uruguay, Flores, Trinidad
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gimlick View Post

Hi. Have you changed the stock motor? I have a Turnigy 16x10 prop and a Master Airscrew 16x8 but I don´t feel like it has enough power. I was thinking if I should buy the ones that you have but I would like some more information. Any help would be really appreciated!
djberna is offline Find More Posts by djberna