Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:30 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Discussion
A Mini-Telemaster Rebuild - Twin Time

The Mini-Telemaster was the first plane I had capable of taking off from the rough field our club has for a runway. It was the first plane I built from a kit, suffering some less than graceful moments and never quite flew straight. After one major repair, I found it lacked enough control to prevent it heading over our flight line. I swallowed my pride, cut the throttle, and nosed her in.

The plane survived the impact fairly well, but the motor shaft was bent, the firewall knocked free and numerous other small fractures throughout the fuselage. I couldn't throw it away with such minor problems, and I couldn't pass it along to somebody else in its sad shape, so I stored it for nearly two years. Since we're trying to move, I can't start a full kit build. So out came the Telemaster for a repair job.

Day 1:
I've stripped all the covering off this evening to assess the damage fully and consider my options. What I'd like to do is convert it to a twin. That's two engines and two tails. I've got a thing for twin tails. I'm going to need to rebuild the stab (the original is pretty twisted) and build a pair of matching tails. I'm also going to need to suck it up and bend some music wire this time for the landing gear. The aluminum short-cut I used before threw the force of each landing into the balsa frame. The wing is in pristine condition (of course) so I'm going to have to strip a bit of covering away for the nacelles and run the wiring. That's been the only reason I haven't attempted this yet. I'll do that later...

The fuselage is a little twisted. I think I may have to dampen the frame and pin it down to a surface while gluing the cross braces back together. From the picture you can probably note it's missing a few. They are piled inside the battery compartment. I suppose another option is to try and pry the two halves apart and try to start over. That of course would mean leaving things out as clutter for potential buyers to see, not an option... The third option of course is to ignore the problem but it'll bug me knowing what's hidden beneath the covering.

Since there's still snow on the ground, looks like I may have plenty of time to get this thing back together again.
Lag_Janson is offline Find More Posts by Lag_Janson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2013, 07:38 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
Did you ever get that project flying? I would be really interested in some photos.

I am looking to do a twin conversion of some kit this winter and the Telemaster is near the top of my list. I want something that will carry a small camera. Does anyone have any ideas on other aircraft that would make good twin conversations?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:22 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Nope. It's still on my list. Had a daughter and moved so it has ended up on a shelf. I still redraw the plans now and again so it will happen. I would like to do a "glass nose" for camera purposes so well. I have made canopies before, so it should work nice. The theory is simple enough. The practise... Well, this was one of my more embarrassing projects for how quickly it fell from activity.

I have other priorities on my build list though. Got a Chipmunk that must get finished first to get the table cleared. The wings are taking up all my table space.
Lag_Janson is offline Find More Posts by Lag_Janson