Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:12 PM
silicon valley CA
Joined Mar 2004
436 Posts
Discussion
Couple of Nike build questions

I ordered a Nike II about 4-5 years ago in a sale and it's been hiding in my rafters ever since. To cut a long story short, I must have pulled the instructions out when I initially purchased it to read them over and must have put them somewhere stupid since as now I have no idea where they are. It doesn't look like a terribly fun build but I imagine it won't take more than a couple of hours anyway. It looks fairly straight forward.

I do have a few questions...

1) The winglets don't have any holes for guide pins, nor do the wing tips. I see some wooden dowels in the box and can't think of anywhere else these would go. Is the idea that I should drill holes in the winglets and wing tips and use these dowels to secure the two?

2) The front of the fuselage is not open as one would expect. The mold appears to have been made with a flat front and they never lopped the end off. Inside is a piece of wood that looks fairly thick. I'm not entirely sure what their intention was here. Is the idea here to lop off the FG in front of the wood and use the wood as a motor mount, use the wood and FG together as a motor mount (perhaps they are glued together)? Cut both out and put in a new motor mount (I don't see anything supplied with the kit that I would imagine should be used as the mount)? If a new mount needs to be installed, what should the thrust angle be? 0?

I figure answer 1) is yes and 2) is cut off the FG and use the wood as the motor mount (I'll reinforce it with some CF tow on each side).

I'm only going to be using a b50-6s 6.7:1 w/ a 16x13 on a 3s lipo (under 2kw), nothing too crazy.
combatflier is offline Find More Posts by combatflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:10 PM
silicon valley CA
Joined Mar 2004
436 Posts
I have found my answers with a bit (more) searching. Provided I get my spinner in the somewhat near future I'll be good to go this weekend.

For those of you that find this thread in the future and are wondering the same things...

1) The dowels are for the winglets. Drill the wing and winglet for the dowel, glue it all together (my explanation may not be the best, but put the pieces together and it's pretty obvious).

2) FG/Ply together make the mount. I found that one person had the ply glued in at the wrong angle and with air pockets between the two, requiring reworking of the firewall. Hopefully I do not run into this problem. If I do I will cut out the old one and put in a FG or CF plate.

New question. Anyone know decent starting throws/cg? I've found that they recommend 65mm for the cg and people have gone as far back as 80mm, but nothing in regards to throws. Aileron throws are easy to figure out in the air but I'd rather not overdo the fully flying elevator .
combatflier is offline Find More Posts by combatflier