Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 04, 2010, 05:12 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Flash

I know you've been patiently waiting.... so here's an update.... to the Coyote's OLY III

THE HORIZONTAL & VERTICAL STAB HAVE BEEN ATTACHED TO THE FUSE, SO THE ONLY THING THAT IS LEFT GLUE WISE IS TO GLUE THE CONTROL HORNS INTO THE FLAPS/RUDDER/ELEVATOR, BALANCE AND TAKE SOME PIC'S AND THEN THE MAIDEN WILL BE DONE,,,,, WHEN YOU SAY SINCE ALL THIS TIME HAS GONE BY.... WELL TELL YA THE TRUTH MAYBE 2011....... (NOT!!!!!!!) HOPEFULLY HERE IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS AT LEAST BUT DON'T HOLD ME TO EET...... Since the rain is holding off might as well get it done and fly.... still considering going down and maiden it off of a slope....

Wylie Shaw AKA Wylie E. Coyote....

Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 05:23 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Jan 2009
69 Posts
What I did over the Holidays

Hi Guys

Just a quick note and some photos to put some Woodie content back into this thread!

This is what I did over the holidays, yes I'm building two airplanes at the same time! One is a stock Marauder and the second one is a newer version of the 3m Woodie that I made last year. The one with the half Maple Leaf on the one wing.

At this point I'm going to say that mine will be lighter but not as bullet proof as the Marauder.

Blake
kenda1 is offline Find More Posts by kenda1
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:15 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Wylie.... well I'll be buggered!!!!!!! Thats great news mate. Sean will be stoked.

Thats one think I've not done yet, slope Patches, but if I do I'll dial up more flaperon throw to aid the rudder.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:21 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Hi Blake,
that's some fine and interesting work, I like the spruce post in the vertical fin and your use of CF, can't wait to see your wings for these newies. Were you happy with your last Kenda maple leaf glider? She still going strong?

Nice to see some real woody innovation happening, it'll help inspire me to pull my thumb out, cheers!
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:22 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenda1 View Post
Hi Guys

Just a quick note and some photos to put some Woodie content back into this thread!

This is what I did over the holidays, yes I'm building two airplanes at the same time! One is a stock Marauder and the second one is a newer version of the 3m Woodie that I made last year. The one with the half Maple Leaf on the one wing.

At this point I'm going to say that mine will be lighter but not as bullet proof as the Marauder.

Blake
I love that h-stab. That's gotta weigh nothing!
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:37 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Looking great Kenda! Am I correct in assuming that on your version you'll have the servos in line instead of side-by-side? Nice to see some actual building going on here again. (Just kidding guys )

Glad to hear that you should have the Oly done by next year Wylie! Also glad to see that you're still breathing. Been a long time man!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Last edited by scaflock; Jan 05, 2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old Jan 06, 2010, 06:58 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Jan 2009
69 Posts
Woodies

Hi Guys

To answer your questions...

Steve
Yes, the Maple leaf glider flew very well so it prompted me to "improve" on it with this build. It floated forever and was amazingly quick for such a large glider. The double poly wing was a treat as it turned so nicely, especially during tight, low altitude, save my ass type of thermal flying!

Scaflock
Yes, the servos will be in a tandem configuration. I made every effort to reduce the frontal area while still maintaining a bit of "user friendly" workspace in the fuse.

Why I'm doing this...?

I wanted to build the Marauder as a benchmark to gauge my design(s) against, as it will be a similar style of AC. I think Merrill did a great job with the Marauder as it builds into a very strong glider and goes together easily. Judging from the many posts here in the various threads it flies extremely well, so it will give me an idea if I'm on the right track or not with my stuff. Where I live, the closest glider field is 3 hours away and none of the local guys are serious glider drivers. I am building it stock and resisting the temptation to "improve it".
Building two gliders side by side is "interesting" to say the least, especially when one goes together so easily, and then I have to sit and think how I want to do the same task on my design. Do I just R&D* the Marauder or come up with a "better" way of doing things? I'm doing every step for each glider simultaneously and I'm finding it a lot a fun doing it this way!

That's it for now

Blake

*Rip-off and Duplicate
Old Jan 06, 2010, 10:12 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Kenda,
I know that the stock Marauder is designed as a RES ship. Are you going to go RES with yours or use some different controls? REF or Full House maybe? I'm thinking a Marauder with the wing flattened out a bit and taken to full house could be a great flying plane. With todays programmable radio gear and small servos there really isn't much we can't do with a little imagination and some work at the bench.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:10 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Steve,

How's it going with the scale ARF? Have you maidened yet? It has to look great against the blue sky .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 07, 2010, 12:00 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Jan 2009
69 Posts
Woodies

Scaflock

Both of these builds are going to be RES, although I did think briefly about doing something fancy on my design. The Marauder with flatter wings and wiggly bits on the wings wouldn't look right to me as the fuselage cross section is too wide in my opinion. A nice sleek wing with ailerons and flaps deserves a nice sleek fuse to complete the "look". The stock Marauder is not "sleek" in any sense of the word!

Blake
Old Jan 07, 2010, 03:17 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Don, haven't had a chance to fly it since Wednesday before last, it really hasn't stopped raining since Christmas Eve. Maidedned it, trimmed it up a lot, flies nice, scale. Have to fine tune it and sort it out for aerotow, also am going to cut flaps for sloping later. No pics, only whats over in the scale section for the Discus CS.

No woody action on my bench at present, but there should be shortly.
steve.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:35 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Steve,

Read your maiden report on the Discus and some other posts about the plane. It sounds like there is a lot to be done on this bird to get it into a reasonable Hi-Start configuration and you have conquered it big time. They say "you can't polish a turd, it just won't shine" but you've proven that old adage to be false. Would love some pics of it over the beach...sweetness!

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:24 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Blake, Your glider looks great. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. What is the approximate dimensions of your stab? What is the uncovered weight of the stab pair?

I'm building a set of stabs right now for a similar sized ship, but don't like the design or 'heft'. Yours looks like a great substitute and almost the same size and configuration.

Thanks,

Dion
dion9146 is online now Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:31 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Jan 2009
69 Posts
Stabs

Dion

Which stab are you talking about, the Aquila style or the Windfree one?
The Aquila style is stiffer than the Windfree one and eaiser to make, I will weigh them tonight when I get home, ok?

Blake
Old Jan 08, 2010, 02:10 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Blake no hurry. I'd be interested in both if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Dion
dion9146 is online now Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics