HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2002, 01:16 PM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
Biggest motor & most powerful fan Which ones??

Hi guys - I to am bored of watching Christmas day tv (sad!!) I've been thinking of a new project for the new year and need your advice. I am thinking of designing a plane around a power source. (Strange Englishman I hear you thinking!!) Given a choice of what is avalable worldwide at the moment. What combination of motor and fan would give the greatest output of thrust ??? Do any of you have any figures and if so what kind of weight would a given combination come out at. Happy Christmas
robotman is offline Find More Posts by robotman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2002, 01:32 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Check out the twin motor single fan setup, it's probably the most expensive and takes the most work to get ready to run. Really cool! There is also I believe the Shubler fan (spelling?) and Plettenberg setup. 1:1 thrust to weight and 10 minute flights. I believe that provides the best thrust to weight and is the most well proven. Search for those two and see what you think. Yeah, the Christmas Day TV is kinda sad over here too; the thing is our media would rather say in their constant nuerotic and paranoid "end of the world" attitute.... No sense of decency on TV these days. Anyway, check with the experts for great advice, I am by no means one!
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
Old Dec 25, 2002, 05:13 PM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
Can you give me some more details on these two set ups - I havent got involved in EDF before and I dont have any start points. Any websites to check out will be of great help. Thanks
Old Dec 25, 2002, 05:46 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
www.wemotec.com
www.schubeler-jets.de
www.electricjetfactory.com

How big is big? How deep are your pockets?
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Dec 25, 2002, 07:06 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,591 Posts
the www.schubeler-jets.de site has been down for a few days......
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Dec 25, 2002, 09:47 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robotman
Any websites to check out will be of great help. Thanks
You're welcome. You've probably landed at the most imformative EDF site available in the english language. I would suggest reading the past and present threads. The search function works really well, too.

While you're reading, keep in mind that generally speaking, the larger the fan, the greater the thrust. The largest is the Byron Byro-Jet (6 inches), but it's a glow-powered and suffers a bit at the top end.

If you're looking for EDF, prepare to spend BIG bucks.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Dec 26, 2002, 01:54 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,444 Posts
Well if you have deep pockets the biggest baddest EDF is a Wemotec HW-750 fan. To power this you may use a Lehner 2250 brushless motor and a Schultze 40 cell 70 Amp ESC.

I'm not sure which wind is best but a 2250/17 with a Kv of 696 might work with up to 40 cells.

http://www.lehner-motoren.de/
http://www.schulze-elektronik.com/

price on this setup:

Wemotec HW-750 : 149 EUR
Lehner 2250 : 307 EUR
Schultze Future 40/70: 425 EUR
40 cell RC2400 : 250 EUR

Should give you power enough to fly a 6 kg plane with power to spare.

Arngeir
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Dec 26, 2002, 05:08 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,918 Posts
What Arngeir said.

Whilst you say you haven't been involved with EDF before, have you any previous experience in GDF or turbine?

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Dec 26, 2002, 08:45 AM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
Nope - Ive been flying electric now for a while. I'm a bit used to having a prop at the back or the front!!!. The project I am considering is ambitious and it must be edf. have a lot of power to weight.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 08:58 AM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
The Fan looks good but that Lehner motor looks expensive I wonder if I can get something cheaper from "nippon Dave" ( Ill put this address up later. What motor statistics am I trying to compare to. treat me gently - I am fairly new to brushless
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:10 AM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
http://www.aircraft-world.com/:)
Old Dec 26, 2002, 01:13 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,194 Posts
Unfortunately, "cheaper" doesn't really jive with your quest for the biggest/most powerful. Big motors take good controllers and big battery packs. Even without the fan, you're looking at well over $500.

How about a fairly big and pretty powerful fan?
Chris True has had good luck with Mega motors and WeMoTec fans like the Midi and HW620. That's a bit cheaper.

What are your goals? How big of a plane do you want to fly? Does it need landing gear? Tell a bit more and you'll get the answers. There's a bunch of great guys here to help you spend your money!

Steve C
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Dec 27, 2002, 04:38 AM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
OK dont laugh. I know there are a few threads out there at the moment on vtol aircraft. Doc Watson is nearly there by the look of it. There is this guy who just got a 50k grant to try and develop a working Harrier. I just want to have a go myself. Build a motor fan combo then design a plane around it. I guess I am a dreamer. but back 100 years ago loads of dreamer engineers were trying to get something to fly. When those guys did it for the first time eveybody was further inspired AND THEY DIDNT HAVE THE INTERNET.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 12:09 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,194 Posts
Don't worry about anyone laughing. I think it's a doable thing.

Are you interested in a Harrier? If so, you may need to make your own fan. Personally, I think it's going to require a pretty large diameter. Like Doc said, the turns in the ducting are a problem, especially at this size. Bigger would make it easier.

Take notice of what Doc is doing. Every ounce counts. It would only take a couple of ounces to make the difference between a craft that almost gets off the ground and one that does.

I have a rocket glider that I used to play with. I don't remember the numbers, but I was amazed how many feet of climb Aerotech said you loose for every ounce of extra weight.

Let us know what you decide on. Maybe one of the big Mega motors could work for you? I haven't heard of any edf experience with it yet, but the smaller versions are good motors.

Steve C
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Dec 29, 2002, 03:45 PM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
Thanks for all your advice. Ive been reading the thread on Harriers. Doc watsons thoughts prove very helpful. The thought of losing so much thrust when you move the nozells is staggering. I makes you marvel how the real thing actualy does fly.