HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2006, 02:07 PM
Joined Feb 2005
544 Posts
Question
E-Tucano is flying inverted. Why?

Hello,

I just built an E-Tucano and it has a Super Cobalt speed 400 in it so it has plenty of power. Now, I made sure the balance is right, and the wing is nice and straight. As soon as I launch it, it will stay level for about a second or two and then it will want to flip over and fly inverted instead of upright. I don't get it. What could be causing this?

Thanks guys!!!!
Bookstar75 is offline Find More Posts by Bookstar75
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:07 PM
Just call me .... Bill
Greenville/Anderson area of SC
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
Aaron, is it trying to fly inverted or torking? If you are sure your surfaces are neutral and you are flying into the wind, it may be power torking. If it is trying to flip to the left, that is what I would suspect. If so, try holding a little right stick to compensate until itís air born. I usually build in a little right thrust to compensate when mounting my motor.

-Bill
Solid Hit is offline Find More Posts by Solid Hit
Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:20 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,230 Posts
I think your wing is on UPSIDE DOWN!
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:04 PM
Joined Feb 2005
544 Posts
Or it could be that I'm upside down
Old Apr 17, 2006, 07:18 AM
Joined Feb 2005
544 Posts
Bill,

I will try to put some right stick on it and see what happens. I'll let you know if it works. I think there's too much motor for such a light weight plane and so it doesn't know what to do with itself. I have to set the "B" dual rate to 20% or it will turn way to quickly for me. It's super responsive. That could be part of the problem too.

I'll keep you updated ;o)

Aaron
Old Apr 17, 2006, 07:19 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,688 Posts
1/. Its stalling..needs more speed at launch

2/. Ailerons reversed.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Apr 17, 2006, 07:33 AM
Just call me .... Bill
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
[QUOTE=vintage1]1/. Its stalling..needs more speed at launch
QUOTE]
Good point. You could be giving (or i'ts build in) too much elevator at takeoff.

Try to let it take off by itself and hold a little right stick.

Aaron, it could also be a little too much plane for you right now - slow yourself down. I made that mistake went I went back to flying several months ago. I crashed a beautiful P-51 because I thought I could pick up where I left off 30 years ago!. Had I waited until now, I would not have wrecked that plane.
Last edited by Solid Hit; Apr 17, 2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 07:51 AM
Joined Feb 2005
544 Posts
Yea, you're right. I will keep practicing with the wing for a while. Then I may have someone out hear fly the plane for me and see what they come up with. I'll let them know all your suggestions.
Will the Stearman be too much for me also? I would suspect if I can fly a wing, then I could fly the Stearman, but I'm not sure. What do you think?
Old Apr 17, 2006, 08:04 AM
Just call me .... Bill
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
I don't see any trouble with the Stearman. For the first flight on any plane I build, I set my controls on the outer limits of the control horns and set my dual rates to 50%. I then fly the lower rate until I am comfortable with the plane and it is all trimed out. Then I'll switch to full control in the air and try it.

After that I'll reset the rates again. I usually land at the lower rate regardless of how I fly. That gives me time to correct without over correction which I have a tendency to do on landing.

I wish there were radios like that when I first started!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:48 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Hit
I don't see any trouble with the Stearman. For the first flight on any plane I build, I set my controls on the outer limits of the control horns and set my dual rates to 50%. I then fly the lower rate until I am comfortable with the plane and it is all trimed out. Then I'll switch to full control in the air and try it.

After that I'll reset the rates again. I usually land at the lower rate regardless of how I fly. That gives me time to correct without over correction which I have a tendency to do on landing.

I wish there were radios like that when I first started!
Don;t go too far with that..my one and only time I flew my slimer cub, thats how I started, and it ended up upside down...wouldn't turn right at all..eventually I cut the throttle when it went behind some trees.

Turned out I had low rate on ailerons and full left trim...too panicked to actually work out what was happening till it was too late. Only way I kept it up was full dwn upside down..till it rolled right way up again
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1