HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:41 AM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
Raidentech Extra 300 anyone?

I just purchased Raidentech's new .15 size Extra 300. For 70 bucks it seems like a good deal. To me it seems a bit overbuilt and heavy. I want to power it with geared Himax 2025 5300kv, Tanic 3s1p 2200 setup. Anyone tackled this little gem yet? I also bought the Omei 2000 wannabe "hotliner", I am very impressed with that kit all around. Axi 2820-10, Tanic 3s2p 4400 set for that one!
Mark Gund is offline Find More Posts by Mark Gund
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2005, 09:04 PM
Philly Area
Joined Mar 2005
97 Posts
I just ordered the Pitts. Have you received it yet?
flyboyanderson is offline Find More Posts by flyboyanderson
Old Nov 01, 2005, 11:28 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Holy wow that's a sweet lookin' plane. Hope it flies as good as it looks.
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Nov 02, 2005, 12:55 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gund
I just purchased Raidentech's new .15 size Extra 300. For 70 bucks it seems like a good deal. To me it seems a bit overbuilt and heavy. I want to power it with geared Himax 2025 5300kv, Tanic 3s1p 2200 setup. Anyone tackled this little gem yet? I also bought the Omei 2000 wannabe "hotliner", I am very impressed with that kit all around. Axi 2820-10, Tanic 3s2p 4400 set for that one!
Glow planes tend to be heavy compared to planes designed for electric power. One reason is that the glow motors vibrate like crazy so they have to reinforce the structure to handle. Electrics don't need that extra weight.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 02, 2005, 09:33 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,087 Posts
The Omei is quite a bargain plane - with some small effort it can be made to zoooooom qute well. Without a little glass/epoxy and TLC - it will fold up at the wings.

Have fun with it.

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 06, 2005, 03:48 PM
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
I put the Extra together but have not installed the electronics yet. I bought the Cap 232 and maidened it today, flew like on rails. What a deal at 60 bucks. Raidentech seems to be my new ARF hotspot. Unreal deals on planes IMHO.
Old Nov 06, 2005, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
The Omei is quite a bargain plane - with some small effort it can be made to zoooooom qute well. Without a little glass/epoxy and TLC - it will fold up at the wings.

Have fun with it.

JimNM
Yes you have to be easy on aerobatics with the Omei, mine is unlimited vertical with the AXI 2820-10, Cam 13-7 folder, Tanic 4400 3s. you cannot expect hotliner strength and performance for 70 bucks, but it is still a bargain!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 03:15 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
This may be a cold thread but - I'll post anyway. I purchased the Raidentech Extra 300 (same kit on AK Models) this week. Shipping was fast and the model arrived unscathed. This is a heavy Extra - all lite ply and balsa, not a speck of carbon to be found. I'm estimating an empty weight (no battery/motor/esc) in the 24 oz class. Very strong - not a bit of flex anywhere. The covering is great - top notch. The hardware - like they reached into my flight box and pulled out a bunch of screws, bolts, nuts, and washers. It'll work out. Control horns and clevises are .40 sized.

The build has been straight forward until tonight. All movable surfaces are pre-cut with the CA hinges installed. And they are (90%) in the right place! The model is sized for full size servos. I'm going to use HS-55 all around. A single servo for the ailerons, one for the rudder, the last for the elevator.

The wing is completed and is a testimonial to over design. After flying, you could probably chop wood with it.

The fuse and tail feathers went together with no issues. The wheel spats are very strong fiberglass but the cutout and the interior brace is wonky. After 45 min per side, they are installed and look great from above. Don't look on the under side - it was a hack job. This was my third experience with spats and by far, the most "challenging". The canopy looks just grand!

Tonight I was looking to the next days build (electronics) and noticed there was no servo tray. Or should I say, the servo tray is glued to the bottom of the canopy "floor" so when you cut through, the bottoms are exposed under the big expanse of lexan. That won't do - I'll have to make my own.

One other design "feature" I've run across so far. No easy way to get to the battery other than to pull the wing off. I thought about cutting the front turtle deck and making a hatch - but my modeling skills are still a bit modest for that hack yet.

Only one picture so far. I'll edit this post with other salient pictures and keep the build alive as I go,

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Apr 13, 2006, 03:42 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
More pictures.
The wing - very strong. I didn't notice until after I glued on the ailerons that the torque rods were a bit wonky. (Memo to self for next time)
The tail feathers - clean, strong. No issues.
Motor box and spats. - way overbuilt for an e-plane.
Test fit of the canopy - I sparyed the insde with a tint. Pretty good job but I did get a run in the center
Servo tray? We don't need no stinkin' servo tray! Will capture how I did it in later today.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 04:51 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
Nice... keep up the post. I have an E-flight E15 that's been looking for a home. It's rated for a 2-3 pound plane... this seems like the perfect match...

Gotta link to the vendors site?

FF
flatfenderman is offline Find More Posts by flatfenderman
Old Apr 13, 2006, 05:24 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
I got an Extra 300 from Raidentech and I plan to use the BM2915 motor on it. Plenty of power for this baby and I plan to use 4S on it as well.

I don't know about using HS-55s though as you might not have enough control at speed. I guess it depends how crazy you want to go on stunts, aerobatic moves, etc. I'll probably end up using HS-81's all around.

Too many projects....
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Apr 13, 2006, 05:31 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Herei s the Raidentech site <http://www.raidentech.com/aerobatics.html>
In addition to the Extra, there is a Cap 232 and Sukhoi-31 in the same size/price range. AK models <http://ak-models.com/welcome.htm> also has the same models under ARF Sport & Engines. Raidentech is slightly cheaper.

Jim
Last edited by jamesdr; Apr 15, 2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:58 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
I don't plan on doing wild acro or 3D on the Extra. I want a model to work on some smooth IMAA acrobatics, so the 55's should be sufficent. Otherwise, I'll let you know!.

Jim
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:21 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Fabricated the servo tray and one pushrod. The kit only had 3 threaded metal rods, and I need the fourth. Lucky for me I have a fellow RCer who has never tossed out anything that might be remotely useful.

Tomorrow I'll mount the servos and the control horns. No rush to finish---I'm still deciding on the power system.

Jim
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:35 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Nice build so far, seem em coming!!!!
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99