Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 28, 2014, 02:49 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,365 Posts
Discussion
eHawkeye Weekender

I just received my Hitec eHawkeye Weekender in the mail yesterday, so like a kid at Christmas, I put it all together along with a 2.4 receiver, bound it, and found a battery for it. Turned out that a 360 mah 2S Lipo (35C) from Dymond balanced it right out.

At first, I balanced it at the recommended 1" back from leading edge. Well, THAT's wrong. On test flying it, all it wanted to do was dive. I have the FF Hawkeye glider also, trimmed out for perfect glide slope. So I set the eHawkeye's CG further aft, probably about 1 3/4" back from the leading edge. This is a significant departure from Hitec's recommendations.

Well, that turned out to be perfect, and it is SUCH a sweet flyer. A hawk was thermalling at the end of the flying field and I flew over to catch the thermal but it was moving away from the field too far away. I wanted to see if it would actually thermal. It needs almost no trim. It's set up very nicely.
Just watch the CG, because the factory recommends way too nose-heavy of a CG.

I didn't care much for the factory decals, and I had an extra set of Canadian Royal Air Force decals from my Vampire jet; so I used those. With the orange wings, it looks almost like a CRAF plane too, since they did use that shade of flame red.

I think Hitec is a little too fond of this plane, for $100 bucks, but for its size, it does fly impressively.

IT NEEDS AILERONS THOUGH, BADLY!!!
Because it's just crying for barrel rolls. I might have to do some modifying and make it a 4-channel.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2014, 08:43 PM
Destroyer of foamies
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Very cool!
Two micro servos and you'll have your wish.
Foam Addict. is offline Find More Posts by Foam Addict.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 08:50 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,365 Posts
Just was thinking about how to do that. What would be nice is to direct-drive the ailerons from the servos. I will, I just have to figure out how I want to go about it.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:41 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,365 Posts
Today, I broke a prop.
No problem, I thought.
Until I realized the folding prop hub is integral with the motor.
The prop blades are not meant to be replaceable. You'd have to buy an entire new motor just for a new prop.

I thought that was nonsense.
So I brought it home and tinkered with it.

Taking off the prop hub means taking half the motor off. But I was able to press out enough of the pin that holds the folding prop so that I could grab it with a pair of pliers. I modified the smallest folding prop I have to work in this prop hub, pressed the pins back in, and it's fixed.

My only concern is if this prop is slightly bigger, which would create more current draw.
I have no idea what Hitec's specs are on this motor and ESC. It's unknown.
But if I end up burning it up, fine, I'll replace them with an aftermarket motor and ESC.
I felt like it had trouble fighting a 15 mph wind, so a stronger motor would be good anyway.

We'll see. Next time I take it up.