Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:45 PM
United States, MI, New Baltimore
Joined Mar 2008
12 Posts
Discussion
Switch help

Is there a way to put a receiver harness switch like the pic below in a brushless sytem with the bec integrated into the esc? Or am I just not seeing how to wire this together . I am thinking it should go between the receiver and the esc but there are only 2 conductors on the switch wires and 3 on the esc.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
chrissinger is offline Find More Posts by chrissinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:30 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,467 Posts
you can put it between the BEC and receiver but the BEC will still be getting unused power and drain your lipo. OR, you could put it between the lipo and swicth to eliminate that and still work properly.
cale10 is online now Find More Posts by cale10
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:12 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,622 Posts
If you use a switch like that to turn off the receiver, the ESC is still powered, meaning it could start the motor at any time. It will also drain the battery. If you want some way to power down the system, you need a high-current connection you can break, between the battery and ESC.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:14 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,591 Posts
^^^That^^^^
Short answer, DONT use that.

That switch harness is for the RX battery on a nitro/gas plane, not an electric. The third plug there is to connect the charger to charge the receiver battery in the plane....

Tell us what you are trying to accomplish and we help you do it....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 16, 2014, 02:37 PM
Joined Mar 2008
12 Posts
Switch help

Thanks for the info guys - I appreciate it
It looks like the way I am thinking is backwards
if I put the switch (not the one shown) in between the esc/bec and the receiver
i was assuming no power to anything. BUT it looks like I need to cut off the power to the esc/bec on the battery side. Which means a little more work on my end but not horrible. I was hoping for an off the shelf solution. Thats the problem with hope LOL
Thanks again
Chris
Old Feb 16, 2014, 02:44 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,591 Posts
This is what you are looking for http://www.sharprc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=43 You install that on your ESC's + power cable. (actualy, negative would work just as well... but the wires are red so....)

If you us an external BEC, You can wire it in downstream of the ubec so when you plug in the battery, the RX and servos work (via the external bec getting power), but the ESC still has no power untill you plug in the shunt.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 16, 2014, 03:30 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,436 Posts
Normally we don't put any switch in an electric model; we just unplug the battery when the flight is finished -- it guarantees the motor will be dead, and we have to do it anyway to put in a freshly charged battery. A normal on/off switch that can carry the amps will be much too heavy for a model aircraft, and might fail in flight due to burned contacts.

If unplugging the battery could be dangerous, such as if you have to put your hand in the way of the propellor to do it, the usual solution is to put a shunt, like the one in dacaur's link, into the red lead from the battery to the ESC, in a position you can reach without danger.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 16, 2014, 04:18 PM
Joined Mar 2008
12 Posts
Switch help

Thanks, thats what I was thinking once I started to read thru these.
Thanks to all who helped and it looks like I have a plan.
I was thinking a switch would be easier BUT it could get knocked or lost.
Thanks everyone
Chris