Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 08, 2014, 09:16 AM
Round Lake, IL
Joined Sep 2005
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner View Post
I installed the graphic after covering.

I also differed from the plans in that I cover the side of the fin and rudder with the bevel first then when I cover the other side I use a larger piece to cover the fin and rudder and provide the hinge without tape. I add 2 or 3 small strips on the bevel side (1/4" x 3/4") after to finish the hinge. I also used that on the stab.

Denny
Great ideas, thanks!
bjohnson80 is offline Find More Posts by bjohnson80
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2014, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2004
101 Posts
Beautiful jobs on those
Sweet Dreams! I finally ordered one for myself with the DuBro wheels and German graphics package. Hard to turn down that Toledo discount offer! Now if only we could get one on video!

Brian C
Brian C is offline Find More Posts by Brian C
Old Apr 10, 2014, 09:16 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnson80 View Post
For those of you that used the British finishing kit- did you cover the rudder and then apply the graphic from the finishing kit, or did you just apply the graphic to the bare wood? Thanks.
I covered the tail and then added the stickers.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Apr 10, 2014, 09:44 AM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
644 Posts
I painted the tail surfaces, then applied the graphics.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old May 09, 2014, 12:06 AM
Sandy, Oregon
Joined Sep 2006
121 Posts
Sweet Dream

Hello fellow Stevens Aero Friends,
I finished building my Sweet Dream but have a small problem. I sent Bill Stevens a note asking for help. I tried to make sure everything was plumb and true but somehow got the tail feathers a bit off level with the wings. I am racking my brain trying to come up with a way to return to level but so far I haven't come up with the correct solution.
This is my 20 something Stevens Kit and everyone has been a great building and flying model. My favorite is my FREDe 1x5. It fly's like a dream. I get lots of looks and comments on it every time I bring it to the field to fly it.
Lots of luck to all of you,
Michael
PapaMichael6464 is offline Find More Posts by PapaMichael6464
Old May 11, 2014, 05:22 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
Michael,

Looking awesome! Very nicely crafted!

Obvious approach to line-up the stabilizer to the wing is to either remount the struts on the tail or on the wing. Hard to tell from the photo which area is least square to the fuselage. Whichever one is off could be removed and redone. Not a big deal on a kit plane!
Old May 25, 2014, 11:47 PM
Sandy, Oregon
Joined Sep 2006
121 Posts
Sweet Dream fix

I was able to pull the tail into alignment by doing what Bill Stevens suggested. He told me to run a line from the tail skid to the wing and it worked great. I flew it 5 times with the fix and the only thing different about it is that I carry about 1/8 inch of left rudder. It fly's great and I love it.
Thanks for the help folks.
Michael
PapaMichael6464 is offline Find More Posts by PapaMichael6464
Last edited by PapaMichael6464; May 25, 2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Left out a letter.
Old May 27, 2014, 03:08 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
A nearly invisible adjustment. Very nice.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:05 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,689 Posts
My 1909 Demoiselle or Sweet Dream

Hi Guys,
We need Bill to make one this size! Wingspan is 43" Is better and flys Great
Flying weight 10 oz.
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:23 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Hi Guys,
We need Bill to make one this size! Wingspan is 43" Is better and flys Great
Flying weight 10 oz.
Joe
Ok... tell us how to make those wheels!!!
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:50 AM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,689 Posts
Spoked wheels

Ok,
They are made from ply wheel hubs, then you lace up the wheel with ultra pro
20lb. fishing line, you go over the top of the hub, go inside and under the ring, Or
over the hub, under the ring under the hub and over the ring!! Then paint. I use white rubber for the tires.
Joe
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:18 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Ok,
They are made from ply wheel hubs, then you lace up the wheel with ultra pro
20lb. fishing line, you go over the top of the hub, go inside and under the ring, Or
over the hub, under the ring under the hub and over the ring!! Then paint. I use white rubber for the tires.
Joe
You make it all sound so easy... Nice work... VERY nice work.
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:56 AM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,689 Posts
Hi Mike-A,
Thank you, Just time, and lots of patience and the passion to get them made!!!
Joe
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
21 Posts
Our indoor club met last night and we were able to bring together three Sweet Dreams.

As per the pictures in the instructions I built both the Allied and the Red Baron versions. My buddy mixed his own orange to go with green wings - the pictures dont do this combination justice which was really striking.

This time last week all three were still in their packet. Aside from the usual amazement we all seem to share about the quality of the Stevens wood, design and the general fit of the parts this was the first time we had come across any of the their decals which were absolutely spot on. The precision of the printing and cut is amazingly very good but beware, the stickers are so sticky they cant be lifted and relocated easily so be prepared to put them in the right place first time.

The only area both of us needed to give consideration was the attachment of the wheels. Finding it hard to make the final bend on the axle wire we resorted to making a shim/ washer out of spare ali tube (include in the kit for the faux exhaust pipes) this allowed us to use pliers without crushing the wheel. Hopefully the pictures explain.

Otherwise, all three weighted within 0.1 of a gram of 40g and flew very well. Just to share the expo settings: I went for comfort with 25% but my buddy who is learning 3D coped admirably with none.
All in all, very enjoyable kit to build and a real crowd pleaser in the air. Having run out of time the only thing left for me to do is the rigging.

As a member of their micro builder program we look forward to the next release which Im guessing can only be a couple of weeks away!

(I make no apologies for the Caudron sneaking into the pictures it remains one of my favourite models)
nicherotors is online now Find More Posts by nicherotors
Old Jun 22, 2014, 08:33 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
nicherotors,

Excellent to see the three ultralights all together and such sweet workmanship! Mine was out again this Sunday morning and had a great time pacing a couple of barn swallows and the visual appeal of the partially cloudy sky.

I also am a member of the Steven's Micro Builder program and received their 1919 Avro 534 "Baby" biplane for the 2nd quarter kit. Not sure if you should expect this one or wait until the third quarter release, which I have heard nothing about. Either way, good stuff!

Before assembling the Avro, I have the MicroMax 103 in my building queue.