HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Jun 2013
12 Posts
Discussion
FrSky Taranis - Owners thread

As one of the lucky few who managed to preorder a Taranis tonight, I thought i'd open an owners thread - if you got one, post how you are going to use it, and when you receive it, you are obligated to come back here and show us the unboxing and your setup

To start with - three months ago I got into multicopters after a long absence from RC planes. I bought a Turnigy 9XR to replace my dusty Futaba 6XA, but it lacks the telemetry options I am looking for and doesn't have enough channels, and I find the feel of the transmitter to not suite me well.

I plan on hacking the Taranis to send/receive telemetry data to my multicopter, and am excited to learn more about the new Smart Port, which seems really powerful.

Anyway, that is my reason for ordering a Taranis, please share your reasons!
mud99 is offline Find More Posts by mud99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:36 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
I will have a Taranis, hopefully sooner rather than later. I hope that the backlog clears quickly now that they are shipping. The evidence is clear that there are a lot of people wanting to buy one (or two).

I am getting one for two primary reasons. One is that all of my radios are getting to be quite old and my faith in their reliability is wanaing. athe biggest reason is the programming model. I find it rather easy to figure out how I want the controls to work, but up until finding OpenTx figuring out how to make the radio do what I want was often a BIG challenge. The OpenTx programming model makes absolute sense to me - I find it to be the easiest system to program that I have ever met. I could have gotten a 9x or 9xr but want the greater power and much higher hardware quality of the Taranis. The hardware may or may not be a heads up match for the Big Boys, but certainly looks to be close and at half the price or much less depending on which Tx you prefer.

The decision to buy Taranis was easy and made only days after I found out about it back in early/mid April. Not bad, only been waiting a bit over two months so far.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:45 AM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,149 Posts
Boy that didn't take long. I just hope all the hotheads from the other thread that didn't get one don't come in and start shooting the place up before we even get to talk Taranis.

Anyway, I was one of the ones that got lucky today. Got my preorder. Now it's just the waiting game (arms crossed, toes tapping)...
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Holy Tiny Transmitter Batman
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:56 AM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud99 View Post
Anyway, that is my reason for ordering a Taranis, please share your reasons!
My reason? I just got back into the hobby after a few year hiatus. I sold my 10c back then and needed to find a new radio, and sooner rather than later. I just lucked out on my timing. I posted a thread for opinions and was pointed to the Taranis thread.

I quickly started reading great things about it and after a LOT of that reading, I fell in love with the specs, let alone the open source software. I haven't had a radio this versatile, upgradable and expandable since my Ace MP8000 days and the Taranis just out did it by leaps and bounds. I just hope it lives up to what FrSky says it's capable of. At $200 with Rx and Case, I couldn't pass up the chance to find out.

I feel a little bad though. I've been looking at the Taranis for only a week now and I got one, and guys that have been watching since day one didn't. I'm sure I'll get over it though...
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Holy Tiny Transmitter Batman
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:40 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,002 Posts
Glad someone started a new thread the other one is no longer about the actual transmitter
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:10 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,282 Posts
And this one is ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:43 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,031 Posts
Well, it has to start somewhere, and we don't know any more about the actual transmitter than we did yesterday. So there's nothing new to add yet. But it will be nice to have a place to discuss the transmitter and its programming.

I was lucky and got my order in for one from the first batch by 10:05 yesterday. I had decided to get one when their availability through Aloft was announced back in March. My reason for going to Taranis is to consolidate my radios around the OpenTX programming system. I have been mainly using a JR 9303 since 2005, first an XP (removable module) and then an X (DSM2 fixed module). I love the feel of the 9303 and the programming does anything I've needed, but the transmitter doesn't have any meaningful capacity to work with a computer. Moreover, even after all this time, I find its programming approach to be somewhat opaque.

The transparent, explicit and logical approach of ER9X was very attractive, so I bought a Turnigy 9X and one of the early SmartieParts boards. I didn't fly it a great deal, as the feel of the JR sticks was much better, but I did have fun learning how the programming worked. I also started using FrSky modules and receivers and dabbled a bit in telemetry.

So the decision to go to the Taranis was a no-brainer, as I'm expecting the hardware quality of the JR transmitters with the power and pleasure of the open programming system. I'm getting ready to migrate virtually all of my models to Taranis, with a FlySky 9x on Open9x as backup. I am shifting most models to FrSky receivers, but I have a Spektrum DM-9 module, so can also use DSM2.

I look forward to an interesting dialogue on this thread about using the Taranis.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:44 AM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Mudd, I would suggest you add the oprcforums.com link to the first post as there is a lot of info about the FW over there and the guys that write it are over there.

http://openrcforums.com/forum/
reacher10 is offline Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:12 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
I am on the list to receive one of the first batches of Taranis.

Does anyone know what is the largest size micro SD card the radio can use is?
Best Buy has some on sale I might pick up one.

thanks
Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2005
238 Posts
Not lucky enough to be in the queue yet....

As noted on the other thread, my little niche is R/C Model Warship Combat.

With the Taranis, you can unbundle a lot of the systems we had to bundle with old 6 and 8 channel radios, and address each turret direction, range, and fire clearance separately. The control layout is virtually ideal for setting a primary and secondary target and range, flip a switch to switch between them, and a single fire switch fires all that have come to bear on the chosen target. With helm (throttle/rudder) and pump controls, a 4 turreted ship requires 15 control channels, leaving a spare for firing port/starboard torp guns. Even the 7 turreted HMS Agincourt can run on 23-24 channels comfortably, and the Taranis can do 32 - opening up even more functionality with secondary guns.

The complex programming to converge or at least concentrate fire is straightforward with the Taranis and OpenTX - in fact I have it working on a stock Turnigy 9XR with 16 channels (not as elegantly as I could with the Taranis, and the Taranis control layout is far better, ergonomically, as far as I am concerned, for my purposes).

Of course, there are planes, trains and automobiles laying about, and the Taranis does run 60 different models, so....

Cheers,

Wreno
AdmEd is offline Find More Posts by AdmEd
Last edited by AdmEd; Jun 18, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:15 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,678 Posts
In message #1768 of the main thread, it says " the normal SD card is 2g, but it will accept 4g cards."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I am on the list to receive one of the first batches of Taranis.

Does anyone know what is the largest size micro SD card the radio can use is?
Best Buy has some on sale I might pick up one.

thanks
Frank
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg View Post
In message #1768 of the main thread, it says " the normal SD card is 2g, but it will accept 4g cards."
Thanks
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:58 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,282 Posts
4G are no more SD, but SDHC. SD were limited by design to FAT16, i.e. 2GB
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:01 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Even a 1 gig card should have gobs of room for any Tx related files. The audio files themselves are very small. The telemetry files will be simple ascii text which are tny and I would expect the graphis files to be very small as well. A 4 gig card is morethen plenty.

I'm using a 9x with the Sky9 board running ERSKY so I have first hand experience as to. What to expect. I will say hold on to your hats...the power of this FW is unlimited...enjoy the ride!

On my radio I have 16 physical channels and I needed every one of them for BH 120 size T-28. I put a momentary button in parallel with a switch so with the mix I have, I press it once and doors open, I get audio "gear extending". 8 seconds later when the gear is down, I get an audio "gear down and locked".

All I have to do is hit the momentary button again with fore finger and the gear retracts with an audio and 8 seconds later the gear doors close with the audio "gear up and locked".

All this with a press of a button.
reacher10 is offline Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:47 PM
Leonard
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Sep 2004
363 Posts
They're coming!

According to a post by Wayne from Aloft Hobbies on the FrSky Taranis-16.... thread, he received a call from FedEx this AM. The first Taranis order should clear customs today and they expect to be packing boxes in a day or two!

Second shipment due a bit later this week.

Leonard

PS: I look at the list posters and it seems like "Old Home Week."
mac44mag is online now Find More Posts by mac44mag