HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2013, 04:58 AM
Australia, NSW, Wollstonecraft
Joined Sep 2012
69 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently bought a skywing sbach 48 inch from bestvaluerc.com. After around 50-60 flights, the motor mount completely ripped off(in the photos) during flight. I was lucky to get the whole plane back in one piece except some damage in the front. The motor mount is made of aluminum but I am surprised it is that weak. This is a good plane and has a good motor and I dont want to throw it away. I am quite new to electric rc planes but i have been flying nitro and gas rc planes for a couple of years. My question is where can i get a stronger replacement for this motor mount, or should I get a new motor which comes with a motor mount?
I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out.

By the way it is a 37 size motor 1000kv. I live in Australia so it would be great if you guys can recommend sites that have international shipping.
Ironaut is offline Find More Posts by Ironaut
Last edited by Ironaut; Aug 09, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
A few guys over in the Skywing Edge thread have been experimenting with 13x4 props and 4S packs. I'm going to do the same to my Sbach this weekend. It still tends to fly a little tail heavy so an extra cell up front should really help with the twitchy elevator. I've got to use these 4S packs for something!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:02 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,121 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sory_Pack.html

This is similar to what you have. Sometimes the hole spacing is even and sometimes it's not. Unfortunately they're not universal. It's commonly referred to as an x-mount. They're pretty much all aluminum and it's not too unusual to have one break. Motor or prop imbalance will definitely shorten it's life.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:20 AM
f3p
Joined Apr 2013
8 Posts
Here's a great video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=idA-hoInrOg
f3p is offline Find More Posts by f3p
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:24 AM
f3p
Joined Apr 2013
8 Posts
Here's a great video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=idA-hoInrOg
f3p is offline Find More Posts by f3p
Old Oct 12, 2013, 05:06 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
Ok. 13x4 on 4S... Lots of thrust but no speed at all. Need to set a throttle curve for more oomph at half stick. I almost plowed a wingtip on a low KE pass because I didn't have enough speed. Goes up forever but takes its time getting there.

Balance is perfect with the extra cell in the nose! This plane has never felt so good in the air before. Love the way it feels now. It really tamed the tail and now it flies a lot more like my bigger Hangar 9 Sbach 60.

I'm gonna give it another shot in the morning with the throttle curve and then decide if I want to keep it like this or relocate my ESC to build a battery ramp.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 01:55 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
I think I'm starting to like it. A bit of throttle boost around mid stick was just what it needed. The instant and massive thrust for spins and waterfalls is quite addicting. It sounds like it should be screaming across the field and then it goes creeping by at impossibly slow speeds.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Dual rate settings

Can anyone help me with the best CG setting

Low dual rates and expos - High dual rates and expos

Thank you for your help
cejas_99 is offline Find More Posts by cejas_99
Old Nov 11, 2013, 04:03 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
Just got your PM and responded.

I'll post this here too. These travels and expos are typical 3D plane starting settings and should make for a nice flying plane at any rate setting. Adjust to your own liking from there.

CG should be on the wing spar or a little bit forward of that. This plane flies better neutral or a little nose heavy. Sbachs get a bit twitchy when they are tail heavy.

Travels:

Ailerons = 35 degrees each direction
Elevator = 45 degrees each direction
Rudder = As far as it will go in each direction without hitting elevator

High rates = 100% travel and 65% Expo
Mid Rates = 65% travel and 50% Expo
Low rates = 35% travel and 30% Expo

Personal tates: I use one switch for all rates and I like my rudder to move a little farther at the lower rates. My rudder has 100% travel / 65% expo on mid rates and 65% travel / 50% expo on low rates.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 04:23 PM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
Just got your PM and responded.

I'll post this here too. These travels and expos are typical 3D plane starting settings and should make for a nice flying plane at any rate setting. Adjust to your own liking from there.

CG should be on the wing spar or a little bit forward of that. This plane flies better neutral or a little nose heavy. Sbachs get a bit twitchy when they are tail heavy.

Travels:

Ailerons = 35 degrees each direction
Elevator = 45 degrees each direction
Rudder = As far as it will go in each direction without hitting elevator

High rates = 100% travel and 65% Expo
Mid Rates = 65% travel and 50% Expo
Low rates = 35% travel and 30% Expo

Personal tates: I use one switch for all rates and I like my rudder to move a little farther at the lower rates. My rudder has 100% travel / 65% expo on mid rates and 65% travel / 50% expo on low rates.
Thank you very much for your help
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:27 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
Glad to help! Hope you have fun with this plane. It's one of the better Sbachs I've found but it's all about getting the CG right. I do not like flying an even slightly tail heavy Sbach. The tiniest elevator movement will pitch it wildly if the battery is too far back.

It looks like the Aerobeez version of this plane has a new battery tray that allows for much easier forward battery placement. I wonder if those changes have made it to this one as well.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 09:00 AM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
I put a motrolfly 2820-950 in mine with the battery cross wise right up next to the firewall and the CG comes out very nice.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:27 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Servos

Hi everyone

Can I use this servos for this sbach:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221274220770...84.m1438.l2649

or maybe thisone :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-Blad...item2c6eadc36b

Thanks