Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Question
Anderson Powerpoles

Currently I am using EC3 plugs for all my lipos. I came past a video about the powerpoles, and I was quite impressed on how easy they look to assemble. I have a few questions. Can you use just any crimper because the ones that I have seen are pretty expensive for just a one use tool, if not then what crimper are you guys using out there? Also, where is the best place to buy them? Do any local stores sell them? I have also seen that Duratrax makes something similar, any experiences with that?
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,578 Posts
You cannot use any crimper. Go to powerwerx.com
They are about 40 dollars. I got mine at a local ham radio outlet store.
You can also use a pair of pliers needle nose but it would seem to be a little difficult that way
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old May 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
^^+1^^

Definitely get the crimpers. Either the Powerwerx as indicated or the West Mountain Radio version. I would not fiddle with anything less.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,436 Posts
I don't use PowerPoles very often, so I just use a pair of long-nose pliers to make the crimp. I just do a bit at a time, making sure both sides close up evenly.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. So I take it the 15,30 Amp connectors should be good for pretty much any park flyer, with 1000-2650 mah 3S batteries?
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Last edited by Tubbster85; May 12, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:42 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,361 Posts
The amp ratings do not relate to our hobby. The 15-amp, 30-amp and 45-amp rated connectors each take up to a different gauge wire. Basically, if the wire can take the current, the connector can.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old May 12, 2012, 08:47 PM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
273 Posts
I know this isn't about the crimpers, but I just got some powerpoles and had a question.

It states the 30Amp ones are for 12 gauge wire, but when it seems like a very tight fit, the stripped wire keeps "fraying" so it is hard to fit into the 30amp connector.

Is everyone else using the 45amp metal pins instead? Most of my batteries have 12g wire so I wll need to do several of them.

Also, I bought the powerworx crimpers and they make it very easy to crimp the powerpole.
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Old May 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
What is the problem soldering them?
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old May 12, 2012, 09:27 PM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
273 Posts
[QUOTE=TheWoodCrafter;21596784]What is the problem soldering them?[/QUOTE

My soldering skills are lacking, that is why I thought I would go with powerpoles on all my connections
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Old May 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Ah, that would do it.

I didn't buy the crimper and solder all mine.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,404 Posts
+1 for Anderson Power Poles,one of the benefits of these connectors is that they eliminate the evils of soldering and the connector separation pull is VERY light.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old May 12, 2012, 10:50 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsky View Post
It states the 30Amp ones are for 12 gauge wire, but when it seems like a very tight fit, the stripped wire keeps "fraying" so it is hard to fit into the 30amp connector.

Is everyone else using the 45amp metal pins instead? Most of my batteries have 12g wire so I wll need to do several of them.
Use the 30A contacts. Simply fit as many of the strands as you can within the contact, crimp, and then trim the 'stragglers'. The loss of a few strands will have zero measurable effect on the voltage drop or mechanical integrity of the joint. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I personally don't care for the 45A contacts as all of the sources that I've ordered from sent the tin plated contacts rather than silver plated. Silver has lower contact resistance and performs better. All 15 and 30A contacts that I've ever seen have been silver plated.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
I didn't buy the crimper and solder all mine.
The crimper will RUIN you, Roger. You will never solder them again after just one crimp. It's that magical.

Will let you borrow my crimper if I ever run into you when I'm in OC.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 11:03 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I would love to try it Mark.

I have a crimper for standard wire ends.
That tended to flatten the piece and didn't fit the plastic holder after that.

I know, the right tool for the job, works best.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:13 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
I have the WMR version and it's crazy good. I understand the Powerwerx is basically identical.

I had used my trusty Thomas & Betts crimper on occasion before getting the WMR crimper and it was more of a hassle than it was worth.

The WMR crimper forms a perfect crimp and the contact slides into the housing and locks properly every time, like butter.

Mark
RCG Plus Member