HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:42 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
19000RPM,

How long did it fly WOT on stock battery?
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
19000RPM,

How long did it fly WOT on stock battery?
I didn't time it for a full flight. The wind started to gust up a bit so I brought it in without really looking at the time. I'd say it was 2 1/2 - 3min's as a guess. Using the stock battery charger I couldn't see the mAh's either. Sorry.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:07 AM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
I used the LG even though I hand launched it just to see how it handled the weight and air resistance. It did just fine.

The only things I wished for was a symetrical airfoil and another 10-15mph. Those would be improvements, not neccessities, IMHO.
Remove the landing gear perhaps use a more potent battery of equivalent size will yield an extra 5MPH.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
Remove the landing gear perhaps use a more potent battery of equivalent size will yield an extra 5MPH.
I'll do both of those things Slaanesh; as a matter of course. Usually I jump ahead and don't even fly a plane stock anymore. This time I just wanted to see how it operated stock so I could compare it to the other reports on these threads.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:11 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,139 Posts
Quote:
I maidened it today. Nice little bird. Not too exciting, all stock, but it flew as advertised. Maybe 35mph. Is was hard to tell exactly because of the variable breeze.

Flown with a DX7 (not DX7s). The mapping had to be changed as per the Any Link instructions as did the reversing on the controls.

Stock battery and location held down with a bit of velcro. The velcro was the only thing I added. I left the pilot out for now.

I used the LG even though I hand launched it just to see how it handled the weight and air resistance. It did just fine.

I underhand launched it WOT (and kept it there for most of the flight) into a 5-10 variable breeze. It went straight as an arrow. Looped and rolled and looped and rolled. It was very stable considering the variable conditions. I detected no hint of either tail or nose heaviness using the 70mm CG.

What I found the most interesting was that it didn't need any trim it at all. Narry a click.

The only things I wished for was a symetrical airfoil and another 10-15mph. Those would be improvements, not neccessities, IMHO.

I did a maiden on Tuesday.

Flown with a DX6i and Anylink (after I somehow lost the cable for the Anylink like an idiot, but my LHS hooked me up...)

I used a Hyperion 2S with the UMX connector and an adapter for power.

I went thru an exhaustive (it felt that way anyway) effort to check the CG and it balanced almost exactly at 70mm with the Hyperion 240 all the way forward.

Hand launched it at about 1/2-3/4 throttle and it went straight up and straight into the ground.. Luckily, it was over some soft, thick grass. Essentially no damage except two small, hairline cracks in the foam leading from the batt compartment towards the nose. Didn't even really crumple the nose at all.

Thanks to everyone here, I brought along a dime and taped it in as far forward in the batt tray as I could. Tried again, and BOOM! It flew, essentially, perfectly.
I dialed in down trim on the elevator as I was worried about what is stated above but I was able to dial all of it out and all trims were centered at the end of the flight.

I only flew one batt as I did not want to worsen the cracks. I pumped 151mAh back into the cell after a 3 min flight. Could go a little longer on flight time but not much.

Landing was a bit rough too as it came in pretty hot. Need to bleed off quite a bit of speed to get a gentle landing.

I'm impressed for the most part. Still need to tweak it a bit. Adding the dime doesn't kill things but I was certainly disappointed that it went straight up and then into the ground when I THOUGHT I had it set up right per the instructions.

I can weigh my Hyp 240 if you want that info. It is the stock one you can buy with the covering stripped off to lower the weight.
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:48 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post
I can weigh my Hyp 240 if you want that info. It is the stock one you can buy with the covering stripped off to lower the weight.
I wonder, if you'd have left the heat shrink on the battery, if it would have needed the dime? To anyone running the Hyperion 240mAh 2S it looks like you can leave the heat shrink on.

According to R/C Dude Hobbies, if it's this battery ; Hyperion G3 CX 7.4v 2S 240mah 25C/45C Lipo - it weighs 17g stock.
g
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,139 Posts
Quote:
I wonder, if you'd have left the heat shrink on the battery, if it would have needed the dime? To anyone running the Hyperion 240mAh 2S it looks like you can leave the heat shrink on.

According to R/C Dude Hobbies, if it's this battery ; Hyperion G3 CX 7.4v 2S 240mah 25C/45C Lipo - it weighs 17g stock.
g
I can't remember the exact figures but I believe the heatshrink weighed about 1.4gm when removed. I don't think that would make the difference. I'll weigh the dime too for reference. You can certainly leave the heatshrink on as you said. I remove it to get the weight down for my other UMX planes (Beast, Sbach, etc)

The battery you referenced is similar but they now mass produce them with the stock UMX connector that Horizon uses.
I can't post the pic but here is a direct link:
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-6479.html

Here is a Hyperion Spec sheet as well with all weights listed:
http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/G3-Specs-EN.pdf
Look at product: LG325-0240-2S-UMX
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:53 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
550 Posts
Quote:

Flown with a DX6i and Anylink (after I somehow lost the cable for the Anylink like an idiot, but my LHS hooked me up...)

I went thru an exhaustive (it felt that way anyway) effort to check the CG and it balanced almost exactly at 70mm with the Hyperion 240 all the way forward.

Hand launched it at about 1/2-3/4 throttle and it went straight up and straight into the ground.. Luckily, it was over some soft, thick grass. Essentially no damage except two small, hairline cracks in the foam leading from the batt compartment towards the nose. Didn't even really crumple the nose at all.

Thanks to everyone here, I brought along a dime and taped it in as far forward in the batt tray as I could. Tried again, and BOOM! It flew, essentially, perfectly.
I dialed in down trim on the elevator as I was worried about what is stated above but I was able to dial all of it out and all trims were centered at the end of the flight.

I only flew one batt as I did not want to worsen the cracks. I pumped 151mAh back into the cell after a 3 min flight. Could go a little longer on flight time but not much.

Landing was a bit rough too as it came in pretty hot. Need to bleed off quite a bit of speed to get a gentle landing.

I'm impressed for the most part. Still need to tweak it a bit. Adding the dime doesn't kill things but I was certainly disappointed that it went straight up and then into the ground when I THOUGHT I had it set up right per the instructions.

Your experience sounds a lot like mine. I've found mine now flies alright with the Hyperion 240 full forward in the battery compartment. I've also velcroed it in and glued foam in the "penny slot" at the front of the battery compartment,to strengthen this part of the fuselage from further nosedives where battery would slam in to the front of the cockpit. I too had to dial a fair bit of down trim.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:31 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Here's a pic of the scratch built aileron linkage from the servo to the bell cranks. The bell cranks : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1226 .

The linkage is .032" music wire CAed into 1/6" OD round aluminum tubing.

g
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:33 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,220 Posts
I often add a dime to my UMX hyperion 240's

Quote:

g
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Apr 2004
106 Posts
Quote:

g
I use these batteries. They are pretty good as far as balancing the plane. I put them as far forward as possible and they work great for the CG.
AWDEVO8 is offline Find More Posts by AWDEVO8
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,069 Posts
Quote:

You might want to launch at full throttle. I've found this to be the most successful way to get smaller EDFs on step.

For some reason the underhand launch works best for me on 35-50mm planes and overhand on the larger ones.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:09 AM
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,139 Posts
Quote:
You might want to launch at full throttle. I've found this to be the most successful way to get smaller EDFs on step.

For some reason the underhand launch works best for me on 35-50mm planes and overhand on the larger ones.
If I would have launched at full throttle before I added the dime in the nose it would've just went up higher and then harder into the ground!

Once I added the dime I just tossed it straight out probably at about 3/4 throttle and it just flew straight away. Of course you need to make it a point to get up some air speed before you start maneuvers so there is sufficient airflow over the control surfaces...

I'm looking forward to more flights once the wind dies down... most likely not for a week or so
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:02 AM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627971 selling a NIB f86 if anyone is interested!

Thanks,
Matt
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:45 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,376 Posts
Just got my F86 yesterday. I have to say that the vertical fin is really flimsy, the worst one I've ever seen on any of the micros I own. Will be interesting to see what it is like on the Mig 15.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2