HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,345 Posts
See, I'm afraid to try a 1 cell lipo. I'm worried that my range will suffer too much. I know, you guys are doing it but I'm not sold on the idea..... Yet.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 12:00 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,006 Posts
Voltage has nothing to do with range. If the receiver has enough voltage to operate, it will be as sensitive as always. Servo response is another matter though; with less voltage, the servo will have less speed and holding power. That being said, I haven't noticed a difference in response from flying a single cell lipo.

The other advantage, is that by operating at a lower voltage, means that you get even more run time for a given battery capacity.

-l
dlgdude is offline Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old May 11, 2012, 12:12 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgdude View Post
Voltage has nothing to do with range. If the receiver has enough voltage to operate, it will be as sensitive as always. Servo response is another matter though; with less voltage, the servo will have less speed and holding power. That being said, I haven't noticed a difference in response from flying a single cell lipo.

The other advantage, is that by operating at a lower voltage, means that you get even more run time for a given battery capacity.

-l
Hey Lex, are you sure it is not our "Age" that is slowing us down, or our perception with age?

Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old May 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
See, I'm afraid to try a 1 cell lipo..
I was, too. When you get an old beater DLG that you never use anymore, put a 1S pack in it and give it a try. After a few hours you will likely be over your fears.
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,345 Posts
Well, I flew the Fr3aK again today. It was a bit breezy and there was also some good lift about. I caught a handful of big ones. What I found out was that this plane makes good use of less powerful lift. I was able to stretch out some nice extra time on some low level stuff. I'm getting better with it and more confident every time out. I think it may well be my #1 plane for next Sunday's contest. Hopefully will have the repaired B3 as a backup.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,599 Posts
Mike,

When I first flew the Fr3aK I thought to myself "Wow, this thing really moves." After a couple of contests with it though, I realized it's much better at staying home and working light lift. It's very simply the best light air ship I've ever owned.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,345 Posts
I'm still getting use to the way it turns. Its probably still some left over tendency from all those years of flying grossly overpowered airplanes but I still have the tendency to stall it occasionally. It really does slow down very nicely.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 11:50 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
I am finding the same thing with my Seba Z2 wing. Working little puffs down low is really fun. The ability to bank off the wind and gain 5'+ and hold most of it around the next turn is impressive. Tomorrow will be my first contest with a Zone 2 wing.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old May 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,345 Posts
Good luck at the contest, Dave.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,599 Posts
Yesterday was my 10 year anniversary on RCGroups. No cake, no fanfare...

Lots of stuff shipped yesterday. If you were waiting on parts from me, they're likely in transit. Bob, your kit goes out tomorrow.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 15, 2012, 01:19 PM
Afflicted with DDD
United States, CO, Berthoud
Joined Mar 2006
1,272 Posts
Whooo Hoooo

I'm ready to go; Gear is sitting on the bench.
Bob
Soarhead00 is offline Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Old May 16, 2012, 08:07 AM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Congrats Tom. You have contributed your share over that span. Thanks from all of us.

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2012, 08:35 AM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Have been busy getting ready for the marks contest, and BP Composites skunk works has released it's newest Fr3aK. They have also taken steps to increase tail production

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Thanks for your efforts Tom! Eat Cake!

Brian, that wing looks familiar........Cannot wait to get a turn at the sticks this weekend........hint hint!
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old May 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
Thanks for your efforts Tom! Eat Cake!

Brian, that wing looks familiar........Cannot wait to get a turn at the sticks this weekend........hint hint!
Add me to that list too, and to try out the FST Helios also. I wanna see what all the hype is about
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG