Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddawg1 View Post
Wow those look good i don't know anything about them but for 36 bucks how could you go wrong i think i will pick up a set
yeah, the only problem is I'd like the nose gear of "C" and the mains of "A"
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:17 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
794 Posts
retracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan View Post
anyone know much about these servoless electric retracts sold by value hobby?:
http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...ing-gears.html

Brand looks to be "wlopro" or "wlo-pro" can't find much of anything out there.
These retracts were originally set up for the RC Lander Jets. The A's were for the Panther, the B's for the Cougar, and the C's were for the F-16. I have several sets of these and they work well. Never seen them this cheap tho. I have had several orders from Valuehobby without problems, if that helps.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:25 PM
Add Lightness
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
I and others I know have bought from valuehobby for years now.

do you know, are they metal? and heavy?

yeah the price is hot. but I wish you could mix & match the gear to get the right combo.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:50 PM
so-cal
Joined Jun 2010
684 Posts
When i got home i check the the size of the retracts on my P38 they are only 90mm long wonder if this can be cut down?
maddawg1 is offline Find More Posts by maddawg1
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:37 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
thanks all for the kind words. It was a labor of love...

I hope to remaiden her when the "perfect storm" (time, camera crew and good weather) of events come together...

TX
TX Flyboy is offline Find More Posts by TX Flyboy
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:20 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
614 Posts
is it true what they say about BH planes...to buy them, toss out the electronics and then it will be an okay bird?

I bought the 63" P-51 and to say I am less than satisfied would be an understatement
03svtsnakevert is online now Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
516 Posts
I think it depends on where the arf was originally from. I had a good 80+ flights with my v2 from BH before a lvc cut 1 motor on final turn and stalled the plane. Went in hard and was totaled.

The P51 is from Starmax iirc but I have no experience with their electronics.

But everyone's take on OEM electronics are colored by their past experiences and mine have been very good. I've yet to have any OEM electric failures (think I may have just jinxed myself) so ymmv.

Vincent
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Last edited by vhuang168; Dec 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:18 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Some, but not all.
Certain models give all BH stuff a bad rep, and others only need a little attention to be a great buy.
For the V1 P-38, the gear is the weakest point, in fact, they're horrible to say the least.
Rip them out and find different retracts or make it a belly lander.
Motors and ESC's are ok, prop hub is difficult to tighten correctly.
Get that straight and you've got a great flying bird.
The V2 has better retracts and motors, some complaints with the motors but not a whole lot.

For BH models in general, you just have to do a little research here on RCG to see what kind of issues to expect.
Some guys take quality components a bit too seriously and you'll have to take the complaints with a grain of salt.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
614 Posts
Ty for the info...I'm looking seriously at the v2 p-38
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:42 AM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
794 Posts
retracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan View Post
I and others I know have bought from valuehobby for years now.

do you know, are they metal? and heavy?

yeah the price is hot. but I wish you could mix & match the gear to get the right combo.
The ones I have appear to be changesuns or clones. The struts are heavy duty and probably overkill for the P-38. On mine the strut slips over a 3mm piece of wire, so you could shorten the struts and just drill and tap new holes for the set screws. One set has shorter mains, so that is the one you would probably need.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:14 PM
Add Lightness
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
1) it's not really BH, it's who makes the plane.
2) I have the big BH 49" A-10 and other than a bad mis-drilled motor up throwing off the balance of one motor/fan, the servos, esc's and retracts have held up well for almost 2 years now. but that kit is from J-Power, not BH. BH is just the retailer. you blame Best Buy if your Samsung TV goes poof?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:19 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
614 Posts
Well what I mean is that the products that bh carries/endorses may be of questionable quality which makes bh questionable

If best buy stocked crap brands then I wouldn't buy from best buy
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:22 PM
Add Lightness
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
I think it depends on where the arf was originally from. I had a good 80+ flights with my v2 from BH before a lvc cut 1 motor on final turn and stalled the plane. Went in hard and was totaled.

The P51 is from Starmax iirc but I have no experience with their electronics.

But everyone's take on OEM electronics are colored by their past experiences and mine have been very good. I've yet to have any OEM electric failures (think I may have just jinxed myself) so ymmv.

Vincent
I've had a few P-38's (e-flite, this one) and other twins. I believe what you experienced was lipo battery too low (lvc as you said). especially on twins when your lipo gets too low, one side shuts down before the other. on an A-10, it's not a big deal, when it happens on a P-38 for some reason, they flip up, roll over and spiral in, in an instant. (damn prop planes )
I woud not say that was any electronic failure, but battery to weak or too low. I had it happen earlier in a flight once when I had a bad weak lipo. I didn't know it was bad, it hand launched fine, I flew around the circuit, then throttled up, the pack sagged, one side cut, flip up, over and spiral in. and that was on the e-flite which is made of cheap foam. should be able to fix an EPO J-Power P-38 unless it starts on fire.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:26 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,322 Posts
Add the liposhield smartbec to the plane and you shouldnt have to worry about one sided LVCs.
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:34 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Had a motor come loose from the mount in a full throttle dive, just about murdered myself LOL
Managed to pull it up, turn 180 deg and land with no issues.
Second time (same motor, my fault for not using loctite) I was at cruise power in a shallow climb.
Motor stayed plugged in but hanging below the cowling, another fine landing.
You just have to chop power as soon as you see it yawing one way or the other.
After that it's a matter of getting it to glide back to a safe landing spot.

I set mine up with differential thrust just so I could practice engine out procedures.
Takes a good 5-7 seconds before it becomes uncontrollable.
That should be plenty of time, but in reality, when you're having a blast strafing kittens and whatnot, 5 seconds is over pretty quick...especially when you're doing aerobatics and it masks the yawing initially (like a roll or spin).
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing