Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 02, 2007, 10:52 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Discussion
Blade 400 or TRex?

Hey guys, have a ? Iím interested in getting into mini class heli's and I'm trying to decide on which one of these birds to get. Blade 400 or TRex. Any suggestions? I've been flying gas heli's for many years and my skills with one are very good (3D'n for a while now). Thanks in advance.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2007, 11:08 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,602 Posts
If you can afford it, go for the T-Rex. It has a proven track record. The Blade 400 is still an unknown.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Oct 02, 2007, 11:09 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
I'm biased with metal heads. But I believe that there is little to go by in telling how the Blade 400 and DX6i stack up.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Oct 02, 2007, 11:42 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
The Trex has the great advantage actually being available. No one on these forums has even tried a Blade 400 that I know of. From what I can tell from the specs though, even E-Flite would probably agree that the Blade 400 is intended for beginner and intermediate fliers. If you already have years of experience flying helis, I don't think an RTF really makes sense. The 400 looks to come with better components than most RTFs, but it's still going to be low end compared to a typical Trex setup with good electronics. I would also think a Trex SE or similar heli from other manufacturers will probably be closer to the quality that you're used to in your gas helis.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:44 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
T-Rex, certainly. More options for winding it up to full 3D.

Or, you haven't mentioned the Mini-Titan. A plastic Mini-T performs pretty much as well as a T-Rex SE, and apparently the metal makes a significant difference (I say apparently because the package containing my upgrades has vanished in transit...)
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:51 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
From what i have seen of the blade 400 it really suits someone who is in need of a new basic radio along with a heli. If you already have a reasonable radio there is nothing to gain by getting the 400. There is also a wealth of info on Trexi that will take time to build up with a blade.

Personally i am well over the trex fad and prefer other machines i this size but thats not the question.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:53 AM
heli on the brain
Apple Valley/Victorville, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
544 Posts
IMO spend a little more and youll be happy you did. get a trex SE.
dezflyer is offline Find More Posts by dezflyer
Old Oct 08, 2007, 07:17 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Thanks for the input. T-Rex 450 SE it is.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Oct 09, 2007, 11:11 AM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2007
1,237 Posts
Had I to do it over again, I'd have just gone with the RCT-450 instead of building up a 450S. I think it's the best bang for your buck... <shrug> just my 2cents.
hurleybt is offline Find More Posts by hurleybt
Old Oct 09, 2007, 11:35 AM
It was a nice heli.....
Kansas City
Joined Feb 2007
261 Posts
The real question here is if you're up for building one. There is no replacement for the experience you gain when building. You will understand how things work much better than buying a RTF. If its too much for you go with the RTF, then once you have your feet wet you can get a kit and build it up.

no matter which way you go you will enjoy it

I personally bought a 450SE and while building it I purchased a blade cp pro to feed my need for flight while I took my time building the Trex.

Now there are much better low cost solutions out there like the honeybee king 2. I highly recommend them for instant gratification
deity is offline Find More Posts by deity
Old Oct 09, 2007, 10:43 PM
I fly by wire
Amish paradise - Lancaster, Pa
Joined Aug 2007
288 Posts
I bought a 450s and built it myself - not rocket science but there's a few things I had to get help on. There's some great videos that help a lot - see the finless sticky. My advice would be to not get the basic model - 450s. I've replaced just about all the plastic parts with aluminum and probably wasted a few $$$'s. If you're not into building the heli yourself check out the 450sa which comes almost fully assembled - 90% according to align. I have a Blade CX2 and it's quite toyish. The other Blade products seem a little that way too. I've never seen the 400 so I won't comment on it. One thing for sure, the t-rex is not a toy and getting parts is pretty easy. Good Luck!
j'flyr is offline Find More Posts by j'flyr