HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:58 PM
Joined Mar 2004
507 Posts
Need idea for storage (PICS)at the field

What I would like to do is fly ,fill my 256mb card download the pics and fly again. A laptop would be ideal but not worth the money just for that purpose.
Is there some type storage device I could load to.Or should I just get some more memory cards. any ideas out there.
OceancityMD is offline Find More Posts by OceancityMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2004, 05:07 PM
American MoonMan
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceancityMD
What I would like to do is fly ,fill my 256mb card download the pics and fly again. A laptop would be ideal but not worth the money just for that purpose.
Is there some type storage device I could load to.Or should I just get some more memory cards. any ideas out there.
But not worth the money just for that purpose............ Why, that would be the exact purpose I would buy a laptop for............... More cards would most likely be your best choice, but they can quickly add up as I am sure you know. But, let me ask a question. Just how many photos do you need to take in a day? Seems that with a Aiptek SD and 256mb card, you have room for HUNDREDS of photos. That is not enough per flying session? GAD, you are an AP addict

Joe
Joe Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Joe Bennett
Old Apr 13, 2004, 05:19 PM
Veni, Vidi, Fragoris
Shreveport, LA
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
There are several devices that can read memory cards and store them on a larger medium. Archos' Jukebox, I think Creative makes one, and this thread has what is probably the least expensive version I've seen (but no screen to preview on, just basically a hard drive in a box).

Of course it all depends what else you can use it for. The Jukebox and the like are I think $300 or so, which is a lot to me for just a picture box - when you can get a pretty cheap laptop for under $1000 now and get so much more use out of it. But for $130 the I/O Magic unit Randy found might be a good value.

Chris
djslack is offline Find More Posts by djslack
Old Apr 13, 2004, 06:31 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I get over 90 pix on a 64Mb card... 256M would last for several days worth of flying, and way too many images to sort thru at one time.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:29 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Picture Storage

The Iomagic unit is really great for this purpose. I have one with a 20 gig hard drive and it is really user friendly. It will take several different cards and stores them in different folders automatically. You just plug your card in and press the load button. You can mix photos and videos in the same batch, it doesn't care. My wife and I are both photographers and have our own personal cameras plus I have a few AP cameras. It is nice to just dump them all into the Iomagic and re-use the card in the camera.
Regards, John
Extremeone is offline Find More Posts by Extremeone
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:06 PM
Joined Mar 2004
507 Posts
20GB Digital Photo Library from radioshack is what I need.I have a 256 card but on the cannon a70 it has a burst setting I hit the shutter and it takes 2.6 pics a second that card fills up fast.I need some good sunny days to test this thing out I went up one day so far but it was to hazy.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:19 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
there are lots of solution, but in my opinion, none cheaper or easier than just buying more cards. they're easy to carry, you don't have to worry about more batteries...etc.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:16 PM
Mentone, CA
Joined Jan 2004
242 Posts
I agree with Ozzie. More cards are the way to go. And if you have any other devices, like mp3 players, you can use the cards for them as well.
tvwebguy is offline Find More Posts by tvwebguy
Old Apr 14, 2004, 07:49 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
If you are on extended AP trips, here is a recent thread on image file storage:

"Digital Camera File Management":
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207698

I agree with the others, for home-based work, use one big or several smaller memory cards and transfer the images to the desktop 'puter daily.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Apr 14, 2004, 09:21 AM
Joined Mar 2004
507 Posts
For the price I can store it all on this and review later it would take a while to fill 20 gig.True I cant review but 20gig it dont matter.