2,445 Posts
any flight video of the sea monkey?
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:22 PM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
I also have to say thanks to Thayer i bought 3 from him and they all fly great. I will try to upload a video to You tube later.
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:15 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,389 Posts
Footage of the Sea Monkey begins just after the two minute mark in the pond and park flyers video from my NEAT Fair coverage.

http://2bfly.com/newsstand/event-cov...eat-fair-2012/

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:56 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
I have to say one thing about Thayer,

I went to E-Fest the first year, I had met Thayer at the JR Indoor. I was awed by some of the planes he brought to the JR that year. Then at E-Fest, I saw him fly Ron's Bug. I asked him some questions about it, Thayer said, get this Bug, you will love it. It was rather inexpensive as planes go at the time, I got one, built it and I still fly it. Have seen some Bugs that were so beat up I wondered how they would fly.

I came to the conclusion that for my ability, when I ask Thayer about a plane, he is always spot on and so now when I ask him a question if that plane would be good for me, he is always honest and from what I have found, spot on everytime.

So Thayer is one of my heroes since he can build, fly and write great articles.

Also Thayer is a very good photographer and I have seen much of his work.

So the Sea Monkey will get flown soon, but right now here in Northern Michigan we have had almost a full force gale, but now the winds are calming down, no snow falling, but lots of wind. Supposed to be nice for a few days, but I will have to run to the airfield as soon as the wind goes down.

I don't have a video camera to shoot any video.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:30 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
Sea Monkey flies

I have made a couple trips to two different airports to fly my finished Sea Monkey. Everytime there was too much wind. Today my bride to our oldest dog to the vet to get her rabies shot, probably the last one she will ever get, she turns 14 in March. When Susan got home, she said there was no wind, so we should go to the airport and then go run the dogs at our property, which is on the way home from the airport.

I loaded myself, Sea Monkey, transmitter case, dogs, Susan and her camera in the car and off we went. Got to the airport, it was calm as heck, the tarmack was ice covered, with some snow on top of it. Very slippery. There was one area at the edge that was ice free, I parked there, Susan stood there to shoot the photos.

Crystal Mountain is in the background, they are making snow, since we have had such a mild winter and we lost a lot of snow last week due to the warm weather. 50 degrees on Saturday. It was 22-24 degrees today, no wind and I set the Sea Monkey down on the ice and snow. Throttled up and we were off. I need about 2 clicks of up trip, a couple of clicks of right trim, I need more throw on the rudder.

Flies great. Was the easiest trimming job I have ever had. First plane I built that didn't need lots of change.

Thanks to my bride for the pictures, she did a great job. It was very sunny, cold, but not terrible.

Thanks for looking
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:41 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Looks great Orin. As I recall it is a very easy plane to fly. Enjoy
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:47 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
It is nice and easy to fly. No pucker factor at all. Slow flying, easy to fly close and will be much more fun when I can fly it off the lake, which right now is between, semi-solid on the surface, liquid under the ice.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:22 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
The lake, which right now is between, semi-solid on the surface, liquid under the ice.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
IN the boating world we call the solid water Hard on the prop and bottom too
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:52 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
The ice right now is pretty thin. If I had a boat in the water, I could motor across the lake without a problem. Over a week ago, it could just about hold a person, right now it has just iced over with a thin layer, about 1/4 of an inch. If the cold weather holds up, we will have much thicker ice in another week. We have had a number of people go through the ice, none have died yet.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:48 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,389 Posts
Congrats Orin, you have some real keepers there! It really is a great little model.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:42 PM
Throw a glider!
Columbus Ohio
Joined Mar 2007
397 Posts
Replying to an old thread, but I wanted to thank Orrin for posting this. I picked up a Sea Monkey kit at the Horizon Indoor last week. I initially saw the model and thought "too homely looking" but then a buddy had one and I watched it fly off the lake inside, that changed my mind!
I wanted to paint it up to make it look a bit snazzier, and this thread helped me figure out that if you thin the paint it will bleed under the mask. I used Createx without thinning it at all and it worked out great. Now to get the wind to slow down.
~Jim
glider90 is offline Find More Posts by glider90
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:21 AM
United States, IN, St Paul
Joined Jan 2003
75 Posts
Really awesome job Jim!
Love that logo...

I agree, the SM is not a sexy plane, but it was designed to be the slowest, easiest flying seaplane in the world.
Besides, ugly planes always fly better.

Keep us posted on the flight reports.

Joe
Joe Petro is offline Find More Posts by Joe Petro
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 08, 2014, 03:01 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Had to find use for some old spray paints

Ben33914 is offline Find More Posts by Ben33914