Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:54 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,896 Posts
Furthest away from the pressure nipple...OK.
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2014, 05:24 PM
Atl, Ga.
Joined Dec 2012
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
+1 McDavid123 with the thanks. The muffler information is useful stuff. I have a Macs and a Bisson I was thinking of trying however I have taken my Evo 10 out of my plane because of the continual deadsticks. I keep looking at the motor in the box thinking it should work ok and it must be me. The Revolver looks a good combination.
I have 2 of these motors and had a couple of deadsticks upon maiden. gave it a couple clicks richer and now deadsticks are no longer! Motor keeps getting stronger with every tank.
capt kurt is offline Find More Posts by capt kurt
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:57 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
578 Posts
The engine runs well now for us except for upline outside snap. It can outside snap horizontally without issue but an upline outside snap causes the engine to die instantly unless I keep full throttle through the snap. If I drop throttle in the outside snap its deadstick time everytime.

Level flight no back firing smooth sound, vertical flight without power loss, down line flight has slight burble like a rich setting. Transition from idle to full is near instantaneous with just a small delay.

It now has a Brison pitts exhaust. The highend is about 1.5 out and low is about 4.5 out. I am running out of knowledge and patience. Only a single maneuver dead sticks the engine but it is one maneuver the owner does the most.

If I lean the low end out any more the engine will die during transition. If I lean the top out it loses power on uplines. If I richen the top it back fires during level flight. Should I adjust plug gap possibly?

One gallon on the engine spinning a 13x6 prop on a 5.4lb airframe.
Nick_P is online now Find More Posts by Nick_P
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:23 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
Keep running it. Mine was doing something similar at first when I was getting stupid with it. Now handles anything I throw at it. I am keeping it on the rich side, especially the low speed. Seems to be more forgiving that way, if I don't feel like messing with it enough to keep it spot on.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:38 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,020 Posts
Al... I'm also running mine rich to the point that it four strokes when the nose is down but that is the way I like it as I'm not after more speed on the downlines or flats. In fact, it's running a 14x4 to slow it down. As a result, vertical lines are about as fast as the flats with the higher torque prop and going two stroke as soon as the nose comes up.

Was thinking there may be a generational issue at play. Older fliers are familiar with an engine four stroking on the flats as that is the way we used to run them prior to muffler pressure and using nitro. Those that have never run glow without muffler pressure and nitro will likely find the four stroking disconcerting.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:43 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
We're exposing ourselves as a couple of old farts here....

I'm just going to say these little guys handle differently. Not like a glow, not like a bigger gasser. Once in the air, forget the ground tune you spent all that time on, and listen to what it's trying to tell you now! Then adjust accordingly. Prior to a tuning session, try re-reading the article on tuning in the owners manual. It's VERY well written, and may supply you with the right info at just the right time. If your engine is not responding as the manual indicates it should, don't waste a lot of time. Don't hesitate to start over again. Trust me, you'll be way ahead for it!

And keep an eye on the tank pressure line! Inspect frequently at first. They pop off and/or burn off frequently - and I can assure you the engine isn't going to run worth a darn like that....
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:09 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,051 Posts
Viton tubing on the muffler line will not melt. Not all black tube is Viton. Be sure it is not neoprene and defiantly not yellow gas tube.
I buy 1/8" Viton from McMasters. Much better price than hobby shops.
I love my Evo 10. Been flying one since they first came out.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII