HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Help!
Wild controls with PhonenixRC 4 & DX6i

Greets to all!

Total RC noob - just got a mQX, PhoneixRC4 and a DX6i to get things going.

I plugged the PRC4 into the DX6i, and selected their mQX... YIKES!

The controls all seem to be on 'ultra hair-trigger' mode, and I can't come close to getting the mQX or any of the other helo's to hover or start without immediately, heavily drifting off and away.

I've created blank new models in the DX6, set them as a heli, and go into PRC4. With aileron/elevator centered, as soon as I get up off the ground, the bird starts to drift away, and with speed. Any amount of correction generally results in the planes heading off in to the distance..

I do understand I need to learn to control things on my own, but the very ultra-sensitive controls make it nearly impossible. Is it really this hard?

So my question is: Should I be able to go into PRC4 with a 'default' DX6i heli model, and not have it heavily drifting and moving on it's own?

Intensely frustrating to say the least

=Alan R.
Harrzack is offline Find More Posts by Harrzack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Helis aren't easy. Keep practicing. I thought my sim was broke too, when I flew a heli on it.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
I get it that quads aren't easy, but...

The current situation seems plain wrong. I've read many posts of people take the mqx right out the box and it went right up to a basic hover.

What is bumming me out is that I can barely get a chance to fly, hard as it may be, with, what appears to, the controller adding drift and movement of its own.

When I try to dial in a click or two of trim, the bird goes more out of control in the other direction. Then when I reverse the trim, the quad goes off in the other direction. There never sees to be a point of balance.

=Alan R.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
You got it!

You have to fly the helicopter. It won't fly itself.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
You aren't hearing me. I am more than well aware of the huge amount of practice and developed skill needed to fly quads and helos. My concern is with the extreme, ultra sensitivity of the controls, as well as what appears to be motion command being generated when the sticks (aileron/elevator are in the centered and neutral position.

It takes such a hairs-breadth of movement of the stick to produce major motion... Just doesn't seem reasonable. Nothing to do with practice...
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
If you have Phoenix installed on a laptop, take it to your local hobby shop. Ask them for advice. See how a guy familiar with helis and Phoenix handles your setup. Maybe you have a problem with your hardware, but I'm still inclined to believe otherwise.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
851 Posts
Have you calibrated the controls in the settings? Go to the option on the top left (not the close button though) select 'my transmitter' and go through the calibration steps. Is everything reversed right? Wind off? Is a good way to learn the controls. And as the other people have said don't expect it to fly its self as you have found out.
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:00 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
http://ginnylee.hubpages.com/hub/Set...ight-Simulator
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Answer found!

The answer to dealing with the apparent high control sensitivity in Phoenix is (sort of) hidden in the "edit model" option. The very first slider, at the top of the list, allows one to reduce the overall performance of that model. The little info box at the right even says it is for beginners.

So now with the mQX at 25%, I can actually control it and begin to learn!
I actually got a hover going now, and am working on turns.

The advice that "heli's are hard to fly - just practice" is certainly true, but did not give me any way to actually get ahold of the bird to try.

To see my point, you would need to bring a non-flying friend to the sim, set in default aero model, select the mQX, and hand them the dx6i. Then just before the are ready to throw the controller at you in utter frustration, dial down that performance slider and see a new light in their eyes... NOW the practice can begin!

You guys/gals have been at it so long and have gotten so good at this, you no longer can understand the new guy's frustration.

Alan R.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrzack View Post
You guys/gals have been at it so long and have gotten so good at this, you no longer can understand the new guy's frustration.
Not true at all. I well remember thinkning my sim was broke when it came to flying helis. I was exactly as frustrated as you. Small inputs is the key. In my line of thinking, real models don't have a "beginner mode."

I also remember buying my mSR a couple years ago. That damn thing didn't want to fly. It just wanted to fall over to the left. It took me a couple hours to learn what to do. When you buy a real heli, the same thing will happen to you. You are experiencing nothing that everyone of us didn't experience (and still remember.)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:12 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I tend to follow jeffpn's thinking. I would rather make small stick corrections than adjust the sim. If you can handle a squirrely model in a sim most likely the rw model is more tame than that, plus you can compensate with DR or expo to tame it.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,192 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but I experienced the same problem with Phoenix 4 using a dx6i. Admittedly, I'm a heli noobie, but I had been able to hover tail in and nose in on RealFlight 6 with all the stock settings pretty much as long as I wanted. I bought Phoenix so I could practice on some Blade Helis and use my 'real' controller.

What a shock on Phoenix! 2mm of stick movement on collective pitch/roll was enough to roll the heli instantly. I have a 300x and can manage a tail in hover for the whole pack. In Phoenix, I can't even keep a 300x still for 10 seconds. And I was using the same dx6i settings for both the real heli and the sim (except taking out the 'reverses' required by the real 300x)

Perhaps the stock settings in Phoenix are 'just right' for experienced pilots, and the BeastX in the 300x makes me feel like I can over, but I can't understand why RealFlight is so different than Phoenix and feel closer to the few real heli's I've practiced with. I'm not bashing Phoenix, if you crank up the expo's and lower the rates, or adjust the physics, it gets a little better.
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Apr 09, 2013, 03:02 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Mar 2013
19 Posts
Don't know if you ever solved your sensitivity issue, but I recently followed these instructions for setting up my DX6i with Phoenix. mQX is very controllable with this set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngjvk...tYK8rw&index=6
MaXKiLLz is offline Find More Posts by MaXKiLLz
Old Apr 09, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,192 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a sensitivity issue, although I appreciate the help. My 'solution' has been to just fly heli's on Realflight. Even with very high expos and low rates, the heli's won't stay still. I fly real heli's on higher rates and less expo with no problem though. The only thing that works for me on Phoenix is to turn down the simulation speed to 80%. I guess you could call that cheating, but is seems like more 'real life' as my real helicopters.
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Apr 09, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I say forget the numbers, and do what feels real. Sounds like you're better off with Real Flight.