HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:59 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
Innovators

Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 07, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:37 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,765 Posts
This is a really good deal for you electronics experts out there.
I'm certain the battery circuitry could be reverse engineered and cloned.

I don't have the time or resources for such a project, or I would be hocking
stuff to buy them.

For someone who is retired, has plenty of electronics knowledge, and a small
lathe and machining center (for part replication) these would be an awesome
project, and a cheap way to get started with the "good stuff".
These things even wag the tail when the battery gets low.

He gave me some equipment to get started in CP birds a few months ago,
and all of it was in great shape and well cared for. All of it looked brand new.

If the equipment he gives away is in such great shape, you can imagine how well
these have been cared for.

Thanks again Balr14 for getting me started with the "good stuff"
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:11 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,765 Posts
Moved
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Jan 22, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:24 AM
cut cut cut... ****!
United States, PA, Birdsboro
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Well those two look to be in great shape and I must say Balr14 your knowledge from this and the monster thread seemed to be endless....
If you caught me 2 years later after college I might have been buying those haha

And I think the tail wag has more to do with the tail motor than the gyro, I have both the DD mod and a new pcb on its way so when they come in I will be hopping in on testing them out, I think(90% sure) my tail is going bad.

Pa I don't think I'm anywhere near that good at flying yet to keep the flybar weightless, I was only managing to keep the bird in the air for about 10 seconds before it tore away in a direction I didn't give input for...

John
jkoosh27 is offline Find More Posts by jkoosh27
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:44 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,765 Posts
Content Deleted.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 21, 2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
hey steve and mike, can those upgraded batts you guys provided links for on page 54 be charged with the stock charger ? if not what would be a good charger to buy ?
hawkfiend37 is offline Find More Posts by hawkfiend37
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:25 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,765 Posts
Stock 9116 Battery Charger on LiPo's

Content Deleted.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 21, 2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,470 Posts
[QUOTE=

And I think the tail wag has more to do with the tail motor than the gyro, I have both the DD mod and a new pcb on its way so when they come in I will be hopping in on testing them out, I think(90% sure) my tail is going bad.

Pa I don't think I'm anywhere near that good at flying yet to keep the flybar weightless, I was only managing to keep the bird in the air for about 10 seconds before it tore away in a direction I didn't give input for...

John[/QUOTE]

I sure hope that you're right about the tail motor. I have some doubts though because both my main and tail motors are new. The pcb was replaced just a few weeks ago.

I have the dd tail ordered also. (Actually two of them because I screwed up the order.)

I just put the stock flybar weights back on to see if they made any difference in the tail twitching: they didn't. I messed up my 11 gr weights taking them off and made new ones that weigh 9.5 grs. It still hovers with them but is even more sensitive to cyclic now.

I trimmed the blades to 18mm, but it will still lift off at less that 50% throttle so I'm going to trim them some more.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:24 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfiend37 View Post
hey steve and mike, can those upgraded batts you guys provided links for on page 54 be charged with the stock charger ? if not what would be a good charger to buy ?
As Steve said - let it charge in cool environment and drill holes in the case of the stock charger.
For a decent charger I can recommend only an Accucell6 - it is really well made, has accurate voltage readings and even a cooling fan built in - a feature none other of the clones offers.
OK, there are some REAL good chargers, too. but for 200 bucks +....

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:00 PM
cut cut cut... ****!
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Hey to those who turned the PCB around so the gyro is closer to the main shaft, did you guys move it closer to the main shaft or to the motor shaft? Right now i moved it so the gyro is a tad behind the motor shaft and in between the main and motor shafts.

I turned the pcb around and spooled up only to find it spinning in circles.... now I'm really thinking the tail motor is going bad, if not already past flyable condition.

But other than just moving the board was there anything else you guys did like on the transmitter to reverse anything?

John
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoosh27 View Post
Hey to those who turned the PCB around so the gyro is closer to the main shaft, did you guys move it closer to the main shaft or to the motor shaft? Right now i moved it so the gyro is a tad behind the motor shaft and in between the main and motor shafts.

I turned the pcb around and spooled up only to find it spinning in circles.... now I'm really thinking the tail motor is going bad, if not already past flyable condition.

But other than just moving the board was there anything else you guys did like on the transmitter to reverse anything?

John
if you turn it around but don't get the gyro past the main shaft toward the rear, the gyro signals will be backward causing the spinning.
resago is offline Find More Posts by resago
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:

John
The gyro on mine is exactly 1/2" IN FRONT of the main shaft (not the motor shaft). Didn't have to change anything on the tx and it flies fine.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:14 PM
cut cut cut... ****!
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
The gyro on mine is exactly 1/2" IN FRONT of the main shaft (not the motor shaft). Didn't have to change anything on the tx and it flies fine.
Yeah i moved the pcb back to have it behind the main shaft, and it just barely made it but was still spinning in circles.....

jury is out tail motor is definitely shot so now I am just waiting for the DD mod to get here.....Should have ordered it earlier...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,470 Posts
Something to try

Quote:
Yeah i moved the pcb back to have it behind the main shaft, and it just barely made it but was still spinning in circles.....

jury is out tail motor is definitely shot so now I am just waiting for the DD mod to get here.....Should have ordered it earlier...
Try going into the sub-trim menu. See whether the rudder setting is nor or rev and try the opposite of what it's set at. If changing that doesn't help then it is almost certainly the tail-motor.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Nov 2012
150 Posts
Whoo, the new chassis finally came in! This little bird is definitely more responsive with the slight CG change.

I reversed the PCB in the design without giving gyro orientation any thought, but these posts about having to move the reversed gyro behind the axis of rotation make sense. The strange thing is, I don't have any spinning issue with the new layout. I don't get it...

aphex4000 is offline Find More Posts by aphex4000
Last edited by aphex4000; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:54 PM.