HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Aug 2010
123 Posts
Help!
Programming DX7 for Flaperons on an AR500 using rudder channel

I've found plenty of DX7 programming methods to do flaperons using the aileron/gear channels on an AR500, with the associated limitations. But I expect it would be easier and more flexible on my rudderless glider to use the aileron/rudder channels. I found a YouTube video on how to do it with a DX6i for a Parkzone P-51 type plane that specifically has a fixed rudder. I guess I can translate from the DX6i method to the DX7. But I expect someone here has done the same with a DX7. I just can't find it with a search...the search always comes back with the gear channel method.

If you know the program, or know where the thread is that has the program, I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks
G

PS...the reason I want to do this is that I have several unused AR500s around that are good for glider range, and a few AR6200s and Orange receivers with satellites that are all currently in use. An "old" plane with no rudder has an AR6200 and a new plane with rudder could use it. The old plane should easily work with an AR500 if I can get the program set, thus freeing up the AR6200 for the new plane.
glidefly is offline Find More Posts by glidefly
Last edited by glidefly; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: PS
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,548 Posts
Do you just want it as a second Aileron or it has to be flaperons.

All that would be required is to cancel the rudder stick by creating the proper Rudder > Rudder and using 100% values for rates and use +/- in the proper direction to cancel out the Rudder Stick.

Once that is done it's just a matter of mixing the AUX1 channel to the Rudder channel. Since AUX1 is the channel assigned to the Left aileron/Flaperon when you select the proper wing type.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Aug 2010
123 Posts
I think I have had this issue before. I don't seem to have access to AUX1 for the mix "in". Just AUX2. The AUX2 mix just does one of the right side toggles. So I can't get this to work as described, at least so far.
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Do you just want it as a second Aileron or it has to be flaperons.

All that would be required is to cancel the rudder stick by creating the proper Rudder > Rudder and using 100% values for rates and use +/- in the proper direction to cancel out the Rudder Stick.

Once that is done it's just a matter of mixing the AUX1 channel to the Rudder channel. Since AUX1 is the channel assigned to the Left aileron/Flaperon when you select the proper wing type.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:15 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,548 Posts
You wouldn't have access to it if a wing type was using it.

Unfortunately I do not have a DX7 (discontinued) and so my helping is based on a DX7s/DX8

You could mix Aileron to the Rudder channel if you just have a normal wing type.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
123 Posts
It looks like just using the same program as with the gear channel with the rudder (per http://www.scribd.com/doc/57502522/Flaperons-w-DX7) I get what I need. But then it appears to work just the same as if I used the gear channel. So seems there is no point in swapping in the AR6200 for this case. I will get both rudder and flaperons, and just give up gear which I don't need...no landing gear on my gliders...

I may be missing something. Maybe differential won't work, but everything else appears to, including trim, by using the "gear" program.

G
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jun 2007
341 Posts
Try this:
DX-7, AR 5000 & DUAL AILERONS

Dual Ailerons
Go to Mix#5 (Allows use of trim)
Setup: Master > Aileron
Slave > Gear
Rate +100%---+100%(May have to flick Gear SW
Go to Mix#1
Setup: Master > Gear
Slave > Gear
Rate –100% -100%(May have to flick Gear SW
This inhibits the Gear Switch

Go to Mix#2
Setup: Master > Flap(Aux#1)
Slave > Gear
Rate +100% +100%
This will allow use of Flap Switch
(Flaperons)
Codimasta is online now Find More Posts by Codimasta
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
123 Posts
Well, that is exactly what happened. Differential works on the right aileron (aileron channel) but does nothing on the left aileron (gear channel). So something is still amiss. Maybe I can try it on the rudder channel, then use the gear channel for rudder...?? Kinda messy...

Have others found this limitation with the AR500 gear program on the DX7? Or am I just missing something?

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidefly View Post
I may be missing something. Maybe differential won't work, but everything else appears to, including trim, by using the "gear" program.

G
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:59 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,548 Posts
I am not 100% familiar with the DX7 or actualy 0% familiar never having owned the original DX7.

What do you want to do exactly?
From what I can read you have a DX7 and AR500 and want to have FLAPERONS, real flaperons or just a Dual Aileron setup?

If you are going to use the Gear Channel for the second Aileron you must first disable the Gear switch and unless you have a Switch Menu to disable it the next best thing is to create a mix and using 100% with the right +/- for the proper rates you basicaly disable the Gear switch which based on my DX6i and DX8,DX18 should also center the Gear channel and make it ready for your second Aileron.

So far So go?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
123 Posts
A Trick

I think I found a trick to simulate differential. Example: Setting Differential to 60% makes the Aileron channel at 100% up and 40% down (differential defined as down Aileron XX% less than up). OK. To get the Gear channel to work, set :

On Mix#5 (as previously set)
Setup: Master > Aileron
Slave > Gear
Rate +100%---+40% (changed from +100%)

The last line manually replicates the differential setting as 100%-Diff. In this case, 100%-60%=40%. Not cool, but hopefully functional. Careful not to change one without the other.

Maybe I'll fly it tomorrow to confirm goodness.

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidefly View Post
Well, that is exactly what happened. Differential works on the right aileron (aileron channel) but does nothing on the left aileron (gear channel). So something is still amiss. Maybe I can try it on the rudder channel, then use the gear channel for rudder...?? Kinda messy...

Have others found this limitation with the AR500 gear program on the DX7? Or am I just missing something?

G
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:21 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jun 2007
341 Posts
Did you set up your ailerons on Mix#5 or Mix#6 these are the only Mixes that you can use TRIM
Codimasta is online now Find More Posts by Codimasta
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
123 Posts
I basically used your program from above (or maybe a very slight variation from http://www.scribd.com/doc/57502522/Flaperons-w-DX7) with Mix 5. So TRIM does work. I think with the addition of the manual differential entry, it all works. This is a hassle, but still better than losing differential or going back to setting it up with the physical servo arm offset method.

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codimasta View Post
Did you set up your ailerons on Mix#5 or Mix#6 these are the only Mixes that you can use TRIM
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Aug 2010
123 Posts
Pretty much want the same things you would get with a 6 channel, except no need for GEAR. That's FLAPERONS with separate SUB TRIM for left and right ailerons, and the ability to electronically set DIFFERENTIAL. And then standard stuff like DUAL RATES and associated D/R and EXP settings. Then things like MIX should work (at least to the extent possible) for AILERON->RUDDER and maybe to other channels. So, basically, I would like it all. I think I have it at the moment.

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
What do you want to do exactly?
From what I can read you have a DX7 and AR500 and want to have FLAPERONS, real flaperons or just a Dual Aileron setup?

So far So go?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:24 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,548 Posts
Have you tried your Rudder>Aileron mix?

Sounds to me like radio logic may not make it work for you and that you are going to run out of mixes.