HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:50 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Help!
Hobby king HK450 V2 electronics help

Hey everyone! I love building RC stuff. I just bought my first heli kit from hobby king the HK450 V2. I know it's a popular one so I was hoping to get some ideas about electronics setups. I've never built one before but am very familiar with rc planes. I will eventually want to do Mild 3d stuff but not for a while and my budget is somewhat limited so some recommended power setups would be great. I'm in no hurry so stuff from HK is what I was mainly looking at. Thanks in advance for your help!

---Chuck
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:31 PM
Committed heli addict...
phoenixheli's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Basic 450 Heli Power Setup:

1800-2500mAh 3S lipo(s) with a min. 20C rating

11-13 T pinion for the motor and depending on the hs you want

3500-4400kv motor rated for 3S (4400 with 13T for strong 3D, 3500ish for sport)

25-50A esc with an internal sbec (50A for strong 3D 25-30ish for sport)

3x cyclic servos, micro only, you can save a little using analog or use digital for more precision, pick torque over speed and buy ones you can afford to replace or repair

1x tail servo, micro or mini, you can save here by using the same servos as on the cyclic since you plan to do sport and basic flight, but for 3D you will want a servo that is meant for the tail, they have very fast response and cost more

1x gyro, you don't really want to go cheap here, some pilots have had luck with $50 servos, but you would better off with at least a futaba gy401 or maybe a spartan quark, since they are fairly close in price, with the spartan being much better for future proofing your eventual needs
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:52 AM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Awesome!! Thanks for the help!! I'm looking at a 4400kv heli motor at HK, $14, I can't afford the gyros you recommended so I'm looking at the HK one FOR $11. When I'm rdy to tackle 3d, I will upgrade. Does the gyro only control the yaw?? Tail right?? Is that why they call it a heading lock gyro?!
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:02 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Awesome!! Thanks for the help!! I'm looking at a 4400kv heli motor at HK, $14, I can't afford the gyros you recommended so I'm looking at the HK one FOR $11. When I'm rdy to tackle 3d, I will upgrade. Does the gyro only control the yaw?? Tail right?? Is that why they call it a heading lock gyro?!
Which 11$ one? The Assan ga-250 isn't that bad actually, but it's longetivity is not that great. I'd recommend a high end gyro also, perhaps an Align 790.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Last edited by PHMX; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:10 AM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Hi PHMX, this is the one I was looking at.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10113

With a few minor modifications ( opening up, checking solder joints and hot glueing some areas, reviews made it sound good for now)

I will save up some $$ or sell a couple planes to get the futaba one. Just not right away...

Thanks for the help...
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
Registered User
funkindatrunk's Avatar
United States, TN, White House
Joined Oct 2008
137 Posts
You can find the Align gp 750s and 780s all day used for 30 to 50 bucks. Way better then the HK 401 or real 401. I have used most all of them and my fav is a Spartan. You can get a cheap heli and other cheap ele and have a ball but dont go cheap on the tail. Get a good gyro and tail servo. Setup is the key also. One of my fav hk helis was the 450gt.
funkindatrunk is online now Find More Posts by funkindatrunk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Hi PHMX, this is the one I was looking at.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10113

With a few minor modifications ( opening up, checking solder joints and hot glueing some areas, reviews made it sound good for now)

I will save up some $$ or sell a couple planes to get the futaba one. Just not right away...

Thanks for the help...
I see your point and it might sound like a good idea, but the HK401 is not nearly as good as the Assan ga-250. I see the HK401 is in stock though, so you could go for that one for sure.

Then buy a better gyro later.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:47 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkindatrunk View Post
You can find the Align gp 750s and 780s all day used for 30 to 50 bucks. Way better then the HK 401 or real 401. I have used most all of them and my fav is a Spartan. You can get a cheap heli and other cheap ele and have a ball but dont go cheap on the tail. Get a good gyro and tail servo. Setup is the key also. One of my fav hk helis was the 450gt.
I'll look into those, thanks so much! With all the research ive been doing lately, I definitely want to get as much as I can afford with the tail components. I did try a helicopter once before, it was from hobby people and it was called the sabre. Apparently the components that came with it made it unflyable! Of course I hadn't figured that out until I rebuilt it 3 times after crashing. But it was a fixed pitch... I enjoy building and upgrading stuff as I learn, which is what I've done with my planes and scratchbuilt foamies... This hobby is friggin killing my pocketbook!! My wife thinks I'm insane!! :-)
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:40 PM
Flying high
biker dude's Avatar
Tampa Florida
Joined Nov 2007
316 Posts
Just my 2 cents. The solar 11 gram servo from EXI have been a really reliable servo for me for the cyclic.
Also I use a logictec LTG2100t gyro that has been awesome. I'm not sure what they sell for though.
biker dude is offline Find More Posts by biker dude
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
Registered User
funkindatrunk's Avatar
United States, TN, White House
Joined Oct 2008
137 Posts
you can get the 2100 gyro used cheap. Most good gyros used sell for pennies on the dollar due to the fly-barless craze. A 2100 or 401 will prob due u fine unless you are doing hard 3d. 3d flying is where the better gyros shine. Another thing to remember is find someone in your area who knows alot about helis and setup. This helped me a ton. Finless vids on setup from helifreak were a must also.
funkindatrunk is online now Find More Posts by funkindatrunk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,595 Posts
+1 for funkindatrunk on both post's. I agree 100% ...Good gyros sell so cheap now days like said becouse of the fbl craze. I used gp-780 is very well worth the $50. I have them on 3 of my helis and they hold rock solid. No muss, no fuss and easy to dial in. A great tail servo to go along with it on your 450 is an align ds520. Just my opinion but always go with atleast mid grade electronics. cheap stuff just hinders your learning curve.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
+1 for funkindatrunk on both post's. I agree 100% ...Good gyros sell so cheap now days like said becouse of the fbl craze. I used gp-780 is very well worth the $50. I have them on 3 of my helis and they hold rock solid. No muss, no fuss and easy to dial in. A great tail servo to go along with it on your 450 is an align ds520. Just my opinion but always go with atleast mid grade electronics. cheap stuff just hinders your learning curve.
Fbl craze or not, people shouldn't save money on gyros when they're not that great even when very cheap. There really are only a handful of gyros that are both cheap and able to do some serious 3d, but for your best bet is always going to be a mid-range to high-end gyro. Thats how much a good gyro counts. A secondhand 780 or 790 will really pay off.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Ok, so it's normal for the most expensive component to be the gyro!! Got it!! I will look in to some align and Assan gyros and see what I can find. I will post in here the electronics I pick out and keep you guys informed. (So you can help me when I have issues) :-) thanks again everyone for the help!!
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:03 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Ok, so it's normal for the most expensive component to be the gyro!! Got it!! I will look in to some align and Assan gyros and see what I can find. I will post in here the electronics I pick out and keep you guys informed. (So you can help me when I have issues) :-) thanks again everyone for the help!!
Well, the mid-range gyros, like the align 780 and 790, really are'nt that expensive. Yes it might be close to hundred bucks brandnew, but it provides serious reliability. A well setup helicopter with a good gyro will fly dozens of times more comfortable.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Fbl craze or not, people shouldn't save money on gyros when they're not that great even when very cheap. There really are only a handful of gyros that are both cheap and able to do some serious 3d, but for your best bet is always going to be a mid-range to high-end gyro. Thats how much a good gyro counts. A secondhand 780 or 790 will really pay off.
why are you quoting me when that is what i said ?
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Hobby King Sbach 342 v2 balsa 1000mm kmdunnster Electric Plane Talk 76 May 24, 2014 04:11 AM
Alert Hobby King 450Pro V2 Flybarless Upgraded Heli New Release $58 Mahu Hot Online Deals 2 Jun 16, 2012 04:06 PM
Help! hobby king multicopter control board v2.1 colliams Multirotor Talk 1 Jun 08, 2012 08:50 PM
Discussion Hobby King FPV/UAV V2 or EPP FPV? onboardtherc FPV Talk 7 Mar 19, 2012 10:19 AM
Sold [Sold] - Like new Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2) HK major.monogram Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 14 Feb 29, 2012 01:09 PM