Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
I'm about 3/4 through the build of a 1200mm Popwing for FPV. I have a 900kv 450 size motor with an 11x4.7. Looking for efficiency rather than speed. Not sure if I will get enough thrust with this combo, but I have plenty of other motors.
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,090 Posts

Got mine last week.
Built it up and tried getting it up in air a few time. Seems like it is under powered. Can't seem to keep it in the air too long especially if is is coming out of a dive. Never recovers.
With the ARF kit that it comes with. 1250kv motor. 30A esc and 8x4 props. Using a 2200 11.1v lipo.
Another problem i have is that the servo throw is so low. Not sure why. I checked my radio and it as full throw setup on it.
actionplus is online now Find More Posts by actionplus
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionplus View Post
Got mine last week.
Built it up and tried getting it up in air a few time. Seems like it is under powered. Can't seem to keep it in the air too long especially if is is coming out of a dive. Never recovers.
With the ARF kit that it comes with. 1250kv motor. 30A esc and 8x4 props. Using a 2200 11.1v lipo.
Another problem i have is that the servo throw is so low. Not sure why. I checked my radio and it as full throw setup on it.
After going through my kit, I probably wouldn't use the motor that came with it. It seems like decent quality, but very small. I'll probably use it on a different project. Not sure about the control surface throw. Is it the servos or the control surfaces? Did you work those control surface hinges in? They are REALLY stiff out of the box.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
My Popwing is 95% complete. The only thing left to mount is the OSD. I tested the the motor/prop combo and while I have not put a watt meter on it, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of thrust. It wanted to take off out of my hand straight up. Actually, I think it's more power than I need. I may back that down to a 10" prop to increase efficiency a bit.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,090 Posts
Work the surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by daronj View Post
After going through my kit, I probably wouldn't use the motor that came with it. It seems like decent quality, but very small. I'll probably use it on a different project. Not sure about the control surface throw. Is it the servos or the control surfaces? Did you work those control surface hinges in? They are REALLY stiff out of the box.
Hmm. Yup. It is stiff. I guess I have to somehow make both the pieces much easier to move.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:50 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,090 Posts
Power

Quote:
My Popwing is 95% complete. The only thing left to mount is the OSD. I tested the the motor/prop combo and while I have not put a watt meter on it, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of thrust. It wanted to take off out of my hand straight up. Actually, I think it's more power than I need. I may back that down to a 10" prop to increase efficiency a bit.
Wait. Are saying the stock motor is good for it?
Pardon me as I am new to planes.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionplus View Post
Wait. Are saying the stock motor is good for it?
Pardon me as I am new to planes.
No, I am using a 450 size motor. It's a 890kv with a large 11x4.7" prop. It is an Exceed RC Alpha 450 890kv.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:08 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,090 Posts
motor

ah! okay.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Quote:
No, I am using a 450 size motor. It's a 890kv with a large 11x4.7" prop. It is an Exceed RC Alpha 450 890kv.
Whats your AUW?
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyitall. View Post
Whats your AUW?
AUW is 895 grams.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Here is the final setup:

1200mm FPV PopWing #2 (5 min 48 sec)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
I have one of these on the way. There are so many conflicting opinions about the 1200mm. Curious to see how your set up will work out.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyitall. View Post
I have one of these on the way. There are so many conflicting opinions about the 1200mm. Curious to see how your set up will work out.
I expect to maiden it this weekend. Will let you know.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Got mine Friday. It is as mentioned before well packed, double boxed, arrived with no damage. Havent really started the build but from what is there looks like a well designed and thought out wing on the gentler side. To fly what is provided in the ARF a build on the light side would be best.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Okay, maiden flight didn't go very well. Spent a good bit of time moving the CG around, but never could get the popwing very stable. I don't think it's an issue with the CG, I think the rather thin airfoil can not handle the load that it's carrying.

Maiden flight of my 1200mm FPV PopWing. (1 min 52 sec)