HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:48 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikso View Post
This KK2 board was my key to acro flying. Rate mode is amazing. And I find it pretty "forgiving" regarding vibrations. This small quad has been beaten hard. Shafts bent, arms crushed etc. Still the KK2 stabilise it very well. Video absolutely best in HD full screen. It's a small quad and a wide angle on that GoPro:

https://vimeo.com/50946966

GLB Carbon Frame strengthened with wood.
1510 - 2200 KV motors
6A SimonK ESCs
TGY Nano 0.95 3S Batteries
Cheap 5 inch slowflyers from HK
KK2 with 1.0 firmware, rate mode
Wow that is some very fancy flying there Eric!, most impressive. I hope to get to that skill level eventually.
I still have very low hours on mine, alot due to having to wait for spare parts.. but more time on my Quad will ease my skitishness on the sticks hopefully
and having a frame that I'm not scared of tumbling every now and then would be a big help too.
I was looking @that CF frame from GLB before... is it reccomended? I really like your frame mod... with the wooden braces it looks pretty bulllet-proof if it survived those tumbles into that freshly plowed ground!
What I don't like about mine is the glass-fibre frame, it really doesn't like impacts around the motor-mounts.
Thanks for posting any frame build photos if you can.
vpsporb is online now Find More Posts by vpsporb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry74 View Post
for Mr KK: this post could be on you Q&A?

---------------------------------------------------------

like some other here,I get a bad batch of LCD....
Nice job. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will try this soon.
tacitapproval is online now Find More Posts by tacitapproval
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:15 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,369 Posts
is that hot glue keeping your props together? The metal braces bolted should work for the arms.. not sure bout the props...
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:48 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
is that hot glue keeping your props together? The metal braces bolted should work for the arms.. not sure bout the props...
heheh, it kind of looks that way.... but it's just there to re-inforce the blade root area, at the time I only had 1 set of 4x 6" blades I ordered from GLB to test, and had to try and make them last until I got spares in.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Dec 2011
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
Wow that is some very fancy flying there Eric!, most impressive. I hope to get to that skill level eventually.
I still have very low hours on mine, alot due to having to wait for spare parts.. but more time on my Quad will ease my skitishness on the sticks hopefully
and having a frame that I'm not scared of tumbling every now and then would be a big help too.
I was looking @that CF frame from GLB before... is it reccomended? I really like your frame mod... with the wooden braces it looks pretty bulllet-proof if it survived those tumbles into that freshly plowed ground!
What I don't like about mine is the glass-fibre frame, it really doesn't like impacts around the motor-mounts.
Thanks for posting any frame build photos if you can.
Thank you. Once I got past the first flip things started to improve rapidly. When starting out with this hobby one year ago the flying I do in that video was the kind of flying where I would watch it and say "I will NEVER be able to fly this thing like that". But eventually, you do...

I've added some photos. The carbon is more or less completely destroyed around some of the motor mounts after countless crashes (see image DSC01826). But it still holds out well. I ordered three frames so that I have quite a bit of spare parts.

I guess the wood stops a tiny bit of thrust, but as you can see from the video this small thing is more than angry enough. And the wood makes it much more sturdy, and it stops the flexing that the arms on this frame originally had.
eirikso is online now Find More Posts by eirikso
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
245 Posts
And by the way, I like these props: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/5045-5x4-...blade-red.html

Much better than the two blade I have on the micro quad in the images. I am currently flying the two blade props because I'm waiting for more supply of the three blade props...

Those cheap two blade props from HK are too soft. I've even experienced it breaking mid air due to some aggressive manoeuvres.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:50 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
And by the way, I like these props: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/5045-5x4-...blade-red.html

Much better than the two blade I have on the micro quad in the images. I am currently flying the two blade props because I'm waiting for more supply of the three blade props...

Those cheap two blade props from HK are too soft. I've even experienced it breaking mid air due to some aggressive manoeuvres.
You can get them a lot faster from here
http://www.himodel.com/plane/3-blade...e_CCW_Red.html
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:19 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Thank you. Once I got past the first flip things started to improve rapidly. When starting out with this hobby one year ago the flying I do in that video was the kind of flying where I would watch it and say "I will NEVER be able to fly this thing like that". But eventually, you do...

I've added some photos. The carbon is more or less completely destroyed around some of the motor mounts after countless crashes (see image DSC01826). But it still holds out well. I ordered three frames so that I have quite a bit of spare parts.

I guess the wood stops a tiny bit of thrust, but as you can see from the video this small thing is more than angry enough. And the wood makes it much more sturdy, and it stops the flexing that the arms on this frame originally had.
Yeah.. that's what I was mumbling to myself as I was watching your ballet-in-the-air performance!

Much thanks for the wooden brace photos, dang she can really take a lickn.. eh?! is there a particular reason for the slot cut into the ends of the front and rear wood braces in photo DSC01830?

I currently using 6045 2-bladed props and ordered some 5045 2-bladed props from GLB to give a try, I figured faster blade speed = better acro performance?
I think the stock blades were 5030 3-bladed props, but I found that blades broke-off waaaay too easilly!! especially compared to the GLB 2-blades.
But If you have a preference for triples and have a link to durable ones.....
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
Much thanks for the wooden brace photos, dang she can really take a lickn.. eh?! is there a particular reason for the slot cut into the ends of the front and rear wood braces in photo DSC01830?
Probably just the shadow looking like a cut. It's simply four straight braces. I don't have the quad in front of me now, but have enclosed two not-very-sharp but magnified images.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:18 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Night flying with the Armattan 339
Night flying by Magisto (0 min 58 sec)
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:45 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Probably just the shadow looking like a cut. It's simply four straight braces. I don't have the quad in front of me now, but have enclosed two not-very-sharp but magnified images.
Ah yes, now that I see it from another image/angle... it is just a shadow.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:08 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Speaking of displays, what would be the best way to reattach a loose display. While functioning fine the backlight and LCD don't stay put on my HK KK2 anymore. Dab of superglue, tape, or what will keep it from wobbling around a little? Pressing and holding will not keep it stuck to the double stick that was there originally.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Feb 2009
183 Posts
More tests...
KK 2.0 Multicopter (2 min 49 sec)

It performs very well calibrated! Stable auto mode is very good and has saved me a couple of crashes. At one point in the video trying to do a 360 on the shaft and I was out of control, and motor give me very up, active stable mode and achieve stably bring back without problems ...

I put a keychain camera (the 808) tied a seal, but the result was horrible, vibrations everywhere, anyone have any good way to mount it without noticeable vibrations?
pabmadi is online now Find More Posts by pabmadi
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Speaking of displays, what would be the best way to reattach a loose display. While functioning fine the backlight and LCD don't stay put on my HK KK2 anymore. Dab of superglue, tape, or what will keep it from wobbling around a little? Pressing and holding will not keep it stuck to the double stick that was there originally.
You could caefully remove the existing sticky tape and replace it. Hot glue may work as well. I have not removed my LCD nor has it come loose so I am speaking in general. I am sure there are folks out there that have experienced the same issue already that can chime in.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,279 Posts
Barometer and KK2

I was thinking of the following and I was wondering if this would work.

Create a small board with just a baro and processor that has been loaded with firmware to read and pass the signals from the receiver to the KK2 board.

The receiver and motors are first plugged into the board. RX outputs from the board go to the RX headers on the KK2 while ESC outputs on the board go to the ESC headers on the KK2.

The user hits a switch on the transmitter, which the board receives. The board determines the height using the barometer, reads the current throttle signal and then takes over the throttle control from the user feeding the KK2 the proper signals as if the user was trying to maintain height. When the user deactivates the switch, it gives throttle control back to the user. During the altitude hold process, the KK2 is allowed to process the other channel signals from the user so it can still yaw for example.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose