Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:37 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
What payload and camera will you carry.
What props/motos/batts?

And have you used WKM before? Why your pref for YS-X6.

I'm asking because I'm looking at a similar size Frame.

Cheers

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
Dont think so many off us fly big machines i will be able to answer that question when im done building my 1200 mm motor to motor frame
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
What payload and camera will you carry.
What props/motos/batts?

And have you used WKM before? Why your pref for YS-X6.

I'm asking because I'm looking at a similar size Frame.

Cheers

Matt
In the future i carry a slr
Will carry 4s 5000 mah batt

I have not use dji before i went with the ysx6 because it cheaper and got more fuctions.

Here is a thread i started for the build http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748778
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:37 AM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.scarbrow View Post
Mr_westie, the batteries are going in at the start of 98-99% for each cell (5Ah, 4S, 45-90C discharge rate) and ending up after a few minutes hovering at around 20% tops. Strangely the alarm sounds off and the yellow light come on almost together at about 2 minutes of flight indicating that the pre-set 3.65 volt condition has been arrived at (load conditions) but when I connect the battery to the Lipo Battery Guard it indicates that there is still around 60% remaining. I have then re-connected to the aircraft and hovered for a couple of more minutes, stopped and checked the battery again and the Battery Guard then indicates typically a 15-20% figure. The batteries are supposedly up to it but I just cannot see what can cause such a dramatic movement of electrons from the battery in such a short space of time...the motors and ESCs are quite cool but the battery is quite warm and slightly swollen. The batteries charge OK up to 99% OK and at this time I could consider purchasing brand new batteries but it is an expensive outlay if something is effectively shorting them out.
Bloated battery may show it still hold charged, but when you actually discharged it or put it to use, the voltage will drop rapidly then a normal battery.
Snoopyboy is offline Find More Posts by Snoopyboy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:46 AM
Armenia, Yerevan
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Hi , everyone!
I download the last firmware from Zero site and update my Ap. but before update in GCS view version 120901,after when I update YS-X6-20120815-firmware-Enc.arm now view 120815 and copter now fly not stabile.is anybody know about 120901 firmware?
ArturARM is offline Find More Posts by ArturARM
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Rob, Mr_westie, Jab, Snoopyboy, and indeed others who have made comment about my YS-X6 problem that has become more than a little of a farce. I take your point that the swelling of the batteries is perhaps an indication of something else that is going on. Prior to charging the batteries overnight they both were at 14% on all cells. This morning I verified that they were both full before flight and sitting at 99%. I decided to take a risk and not attach the lipo alarm and rely completely on my transmitter timers. It took off immediately and with ease in auto nav mode and continued to hover rock-steady at around 5-6 metres with the occasional move left, right, forwards, backwards, up, down, yaw left, yaw right all OK. My pre-determined time of 7 minutes 22 seconds (as per ecalc) was up and I landed nice and softly. The motors and ESCs were not even slightly warm to touch. I checked the battery shortly afterwards (that was quite warm and slightly swollen) with the Lipo Guard and it read as follows...1s/3.728V/14%...2s/3.729V/14%...3s/3.737V/14%...4s/3.726V/14%. My other small concern here is that I checked the battery on-site quickly, but did not record, and got voltage and percent readings for each cell that were slightly different than the ones I took a little later and recorded (as noted above).

So in a nutshell with the original July firmware code, Turnigy ESCs the flight times are exactly as I had hoped for and as per ecalc. By the way the props for these experiments are 13 x 4 APCs and the total weight of the craft is 3.397Kg. I have changed nothing else at this time. The only item that appears to have varying and fluctuating levels are the batteries so my next step in the revised action plan is to purchase 2 brand new 5Ah batteries and hope that will be the end of it. Hey , if you think this is a crap idea, let me know though won't you please.

Regards

David.
david.scarbrow is offline Find More Posts by david.scarbrow
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:07 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.scarbrow View Post
Rob, Mr_westie, Jab, Snoopyboy, and indeed others who have made comment about my YS-X6 problem that has become more than a little of a farce. I take your point that the swelling of the batteries is perhaps an indication of something else that is going on. Prior to charging the batteries overnight they both were at 14% on all cells. This morning I verified that they were both full before flight and sitting at 99%. I decided to take a risk and not attach the lipo alarm and rely completely on my transmitter timers. It took off immediately and with ease in auto nav mode and continued to hover rock-steady at around 5-6 metres with the occasional move left, right, forwards, backwards, up, down, yaw left, yaw right all OK. My pre-determined time of 7 minutes 22 seconds (as per ecalc) was up and I landed nice and softly. The motors and ESCs were not even slightly warm to touch. I checked the battery shortly afterwards (that was quite warm and slightly swollen) with the Lipo Guard and it read as follows...1s/3.728V/14%...2s/3.729V/14%...3s/3.737V/14%...4s/3.726V/14%. My other small concern here is that I checked the battery on-site quickly, but did not record, and got voltage and percent readings for each cell that were slightly different than the ones I took a little later and recorded (as noted above).

So in a nutshell with the original July firmware code, Turnigy ESCs the flight times are exactly as I had hoped for and as per ecalc. By the way the props for these experiments are 13 x 4 APCs and the total weight of the craft is 3.397Kg. I have changed nothing else at this time. The only item that appears to have varying and fluctuating levels are the batteries so my next step in the revised action plan is to purchase 2 brand new 5Ah batteries and hope that will be the end of it. Hey , if you think this is a crap idea, let me know though won't you please.

Regards

David.
Hi David

So, what you are saying is that the only change made was that you never connected a lipo alarm. Maybe that is your problem. What lipo alarm is it....purely for interest.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Rob, the alarm is the standard multi-cell Lipo alarm that can be purchased just about anywhere. I have 2 of these alarms though and on Friday I 'll attempt the same but with the other alarm in place. I am sure though that I have tried both alarms but did not record it, so I cannot be absolutely sure. I will still go ahead and purchase 2 new 5Ah 4s batteries with a standard discharge of 30C and a burst of 50C (should be more than capable).

Regards

David.
david.scarbrow is offline Find More Posts by david.scarbrow
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
288 Posts
Hi

Looks like my WiFi module died today. Doesn't connect to anything anymore, and no blue led blinking. I see just very dim blue led inside module.

I cannot connect via serial cable either. What COM port needs to be used if using GCS pc software with wire. I know it's COM3 in FC but what in PC?

Thanks,

Kari
KariY is online now Find More Posts by KariY
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
Hi

Looks like my WiFi module died today. Doesn't connect to anything anymore, and no blue led blinking. I see just very dim blue led inside module.

I cannot connect via serial cable either. What COM port needs to be used if using GCS pc software with wire. I know it's COM3 in FC but what in PC?

Thanks,

Kari
You must go on your pc to devise manager and look there what com port you pc use for the serial cable.
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
ok so how many people are running this controller with a large octo?

I am looking at using it to fly a massive octo... it will carry very expensive camera's but it seems there is less and less confidence in this hardware...

anyone actually happy with this thing running on a heavy octo?

Steve
Mine is solid.

Its a big Octo and it has flown with the Photohigher AV200, two 4s 5000mAh packs and a Canon t2i.

Its a big DW8HL with a couple extra DW plates to house the electronics and such.

Not a light machine and is perfectly stable when the gains are not set too high.

cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
You must go on your pc to devise manager and look there what com port you pc use for the serial cable.
Yes i see it's using COM1, what then? I found it's COM1 in CGS too, but nothing happens. Is there needed some woodoo?
KariY is online now Find More Posts by KariY
Last edited by KariY; Oct 10, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
Hi

Thanks,

Kari
Depends on the PC.
If you are using a USB>RS232 converter, check your device manager.
Start > run> devmgmt.msc

Or if you don't have too many com ports, try each one
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Feb 2006
75 Posts
Hi,
Can anybody tell me what notification you get on the android app of the Channel 5 3 position switch. I get Auto Navigation, Manual, Manual. Is this correct?
Thanks.
David
f3fisa is offline Find More Posts by f3fisa
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:06 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, Marilao
Joined Jun 2008
540 Posts
HI does the ys x6 require a specific esc?
rukie is offline Find More Posts by rukie
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:24 AM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukie View Post
HI does the ys x6 require a specific esc?
Anything that can handle 400hz?
After that it will depend on your budget and motor size.
My bare minimium would be 20A, with a crystal for a AVR based.

SIL do not need one, from my research.

I use, HobbyWing FlyFun/Pentium-30A , SIL
http://www.rc711.com/shop/hobbywing-...ors-p-185.html
Only as it came with a ARF kit.

And HobbyKing 30A BlueSeries, flashed with SimonK
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13429
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie