HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:47 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
765 Posts
Hey guys

Thank you for the kind words

Managed to open the moulds today. Unfortunately a bit of damage that I need to see if I can work with or re mill / splash

The part came out quite well, only thing that is a bit odd is that one joiner box seems a bit twisted when putting the wing tip on (not a good marrage at the trailing edge.)

I still need to get the joiner out, and do a final trim, but then I need to decide what to do.
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:17 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
765 Posts
total wing comes in at 1.75 kg. That includes servos wires and sbec.
only extra weight will come from horns and push rods.

Would be interested to know how this compares to other 2.5m, or even 2m models

Got the joiners out.
had another play

and feeling better about the whole thing
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:18 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,331 Posts
Congrats will looks good to me mate. So what's the damage ?? And do you have a conclusion why the joiners don't line up quite perfect ?? Machining or sanding issue ??
Not long now mate and you will be flying one
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:57 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
765 Posts
damage is in 2 places

I never managed to get a reamer worn the holes before I started, and where I had to drill through was a bit tight, so I was cautions about hitting the dowels through as it had started to delaminate the 2 sheets.
So I tried to pry them apart in 2 places. One was succesfull and the other cracked through the corian. Not too concerned about that.

The other is on the wing form. it seems to have delaminated, and cracked about 10mm and is now sitting about .5mm proud.

as for the misalignment, I think that may have just been me. I have gone back and put it together again and found that there was a bit of play in the joiner (About 0.1) and no incident pins where in to line them up. so I think that is ok now.

in hind sight, I dont know if I would laminate corian again, and if I did I would make the insert bigger, and only use the expensive corian glue hopefuly a bit slower that the one we used to glue the insert in. I will try take a picture of the damage.

Will
Who is struggling to stay out of the garage and progress things. The rest of the weekend will be impossible to do anything.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:32 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,273 Posts
Well done on your first whole wing Will! Sorry to hear about the mould problems, I hope you can fix it easily. Do any fillers etc stick to corian?
The wing looks great BTW! As for weight, the lightest scorcher wing has been 1.1kg, the heaviest about 3. Yours should take to the sky like a bird!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:54 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
765 Posts
cheers Josh

Need to have a good think about the repair. think it is doable, but a large risk for it to happen again.

Another thing I didn't mention is that the inserts filled a bit with paint or resin in places. I will try polish it out and see how it looks. it seemed too thin to fill.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 05:49 AM
indeskies
Flat Leicester
Joined Jun 2005
89 Posts
Well that explains it. Thought there was a super nover the other day, must have just been you grinning
Well done Will. Shame there is a little damage but on the whole a success. It`s a massive project and you`re bound to have a few problems. 10/10 dude.
Keep us all posted.
Ian.
ian hammerton is offline Find More Posts by ian hammerton
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:22 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
765 Posts
Just had a skype with AvB and tried to show him this picture of the mould damage.
Didn't come through Skype very well so here it is in full res.

I got a couple of hours in the garage this afternoon, and I layed up the wing seat of the fuz by putting 2 layers of 200g bi axail (0, 90 and +45 -45) onto the wing. I put peal ply on both sides as I am planning to run a sock over the complete thing when done.

I also spent some time cutting 5 mm x 10 mm strips of blue foam that I have spary glued to the fuz, and then taped it tight, left it for a bit, removed the tape and gave it a sand.

Its going to need some filling and somebody that is better at hand sanding than me to get the symmetry.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:10 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
765 Posts
there is progress.
Stab moulds are on the mill. I hope one half to be finished this week, and maybe the second for the folowing. So I could go visit Jon and pic them up with my fixied K2M

I glued the wing seat to the fuz last night. Checked all the geometry 10 times, left it for 6h or so, but when I woke up and had to move if before break fast, the glue hadnt set properly. So U moved it gently to the garage, and put it upside down on my bench. I will check when I get home if its cured properly, and make sure the geometry is still ok.
Then its time to crack on with the wing, cutting surfaces, pulling wires through and putting plugs on, horns, push rods.
And the fuz, Finish shaping / belinding in the wing, then start to look at reinforcing.
I will have to wait a bit for the stab. From moulds to part will take a while, and is needed before I do the wing seat.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:36 AM
Jonathan Wells
U.K.
Joined Feb 2008
51 Posts
Top mould is ready for polishing
jonathan4000 is online now Find More Posts by jonathan4000
Old Aug 20, 2014, 02:19 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan4000 View Post
Top mould is ready for polishing
cool.

Now for the Bottom, which should be much easier and faster. (Famous last words)

It is shallower and doesn't have the csk head recesses in it.

If you get the top done by the weekend to bank holiday Monday I will be there like a rat up a drain pipe to pick them up

Thank you for your hard work Jonathan. What did you think of the 3d milling? I hope this gives you inspiration to get something of your own on there.
Old Yesterday, 04:16 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,473 Posts
Looks like a really nice job, that top stab mould!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB