HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:36 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
StingRay 3.0

The first test ship is assembled. Need to put the finish on and then some testing.

Am experimenting with a little more sweep to pull the CG aft. Testing on that configuration as well prior to releasing. The reason for this is to help the folks that are having a hard time building without having to add ballast to get the CG right.

Ken

The servo horns will have very little stick out and lend themselve to plastic covers. Also moving them inboard gets the equipment behind the prop arc which should offer some additional protection.
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Feb 27, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:01 AM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
568 Posts
Looking GREAT Ken!!! I can't wait for the new one.

John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:56 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Looking good. It's fun to see such a great plane getting even better!
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:18 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Looking good. It's fun to see such a great plane getting even better!
Don,

Your test subject is at the same level of completion as the one above. Gear should be at the house today. Hoping to install tomorrow and ship the day after.

I got a little carried away and already glued the fin. Should not be a problem. Just a little box engineering needed.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:27 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Sent you an email.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:43 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Got it.

Thanks Don,

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:52 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Cool Features!

The StingRay 3.0 address some asthetic issues as well. The 9g servos are slightly thicker than the two laminations of MPF. Well now there is a third lamination, and with that I have added a recessed pocket for the extra thickness of the servo, allowing for a flush finish on the top.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Feb 27, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:41 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Sting Ray 3.0 maidens in Florida

I had a chance to maiden a new SR-3 today! Wow what a great plane!

Flew in gusty 6-12 mpg winds. Neutral trims were very close to perfect. So close, with the wind, I did not change any by even a click. Speed range and glide are both improved over my two old Sting Rays. Also my old SR's both tend to need down elevator with high throttle. This SR-3 pulls straight ahead at all throttle settings.

It glides soooo.. nice, and with a little up elevator just before touch down it set down at a gound speed just above zero.

I need to get some photos and hopefully some calmer air to wring it out a bit more, but for now I am really impressed. This plane is going to be fun to combat.

Ken has done it again!

EDIT: Pictures added and...
Had a chance to trim it out today in light winds (3-5 mph). I flew 5 batteries out and at one point was joined by 8-10 big birds. I put it up high near the birds and thermaled for at least 3 min. throttle off! It does take a fair amount of up elevator with power off. Otherwise the nose drops and it comes screaming down at a 45 degree angle. I also found today that the elevator wanted one click up at full throttle for fast level flight. At lower throttle setting more up elevator is needed for level flight. Inverted flight takes just a little down elevator to maintain fast level flight. This plane turns very tight inside loops. So tight that with the wings vertical it looked like it might be able to cut it's own streamer. With the wings vertical and full up elevator it turns a very tight circle (horizontal loop). Like my other SR's outside loops are much bigger than inside. In fact if the battery is low or the wind knocks it off line it may well fall out of an outside loop. Very unlike the tight quick inside loops. Anyway...tons of fun! I look forward to combating with it.
Last edited by bz1mcr; Mar 08, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:43 PM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
568 Posts
Woo Hoo..................
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:21 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Link to the new StingRay 3.0 plans and thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post24446207

Also available here for purchase as a kit.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Mar 17, 2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:41 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
I think this will be the dominant plane for SEMFF combat this year.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:06 PM
Flys Like A Brick
Washington, MI
Joined Nov 2010
469 Posts
You had my attention when one of the changes was listed as
" Sexy Trailing Edges"
Bob_B is offline Find More Posts by Bob_B
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:36 PM
Chch, NZ
Joined Mar 2012
85 Posts
still no No. 2

I just finished a re-build of the No.2 version after just having too much fun with it and too many landings flat out (cough cough).

Made a few changes to the basic plan to allow for a heavier prop spinner pushing my COG further forward. This is mainly because although I live in NZ I work in the DRC (Dem rep of Congo) and this swing has blown out from 6weeks to 10 weeks and counting (passport away getting stamped and the brown paper bags obviously aren't heavy enough!). I have just about run out of props, necessitating the use of a folding prop.

Have to say I have been having a ball with this design and it has certainly spun out a few of the other expats who have come up to watch after work. I guess we take it for granted that with $30-40 dollars worth of hardware we can have 100's of $'s worth of fun!

Love this design, just so much fun it should be illegal...and a fast build too, knocked out V2 in about 4 hours this afternoon and that was taking my time with a few refreshment breaks...
Kenniffs is online now Find More Posts by Kenniffs
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:46 PM
Chch, NZ
Joined Mar 2012
85 Posts
still no No. 2

whoops, double post
Last edited by Kenniffs; Mar 30, 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: whoops, double post
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:02 PM
Chch, NZ
Joined Mar 2012
85 Posts
V2 up at the old tails dam

just too much fun.
3S 1300mah, Turnigy D2822/14 1450kv 38gm, Towerpro 8x3,8 SF prop.

SEMFF Stingray (1 min 5 sec)
Last edited by Kenniffs; Mar 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Youtube link added