HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I am an early adopter. Mine was one of the first shipped out. I have had zero problems and have spent many hours here trying to help others get theirs to work like mine does. I will say that most of the issues here are either set up or pilot errors. When I make a mistake I admit it. It seems that there are a few here that are unwilling to take the time to discover what the actual issue is and correct it. It is a lot easier to blame DJI and Sidney than fix the problem. I am not a DJI fanboy. My system works and works better than my MK.

There are a few here that have posted that haven't even read the manual through and understand what it says. Get off your a$$ and become a student of your sport. Don't expect the rest of us to spoon feed you the information we have had to learn and you are unwilling to dig for. We are willing to help but do your homework first. Understand the FC and your transmitter/receiver. Learn how to program your esc's.

Sorry for the rant but sometimes the quality of the questions and the response to the help gets me. This is supposed to be fun. So go have some.
Yes I agree 100%. Multicopters are very complex and the most sophisticated form of RC flight there is. It is critical to success that all the details are perfect. If they are not then mystery problems pop up and the pilot usually blames the hardware.

If people are not willing to put in the hours needed to learn the subtleties of multicopter construction and setup they need to stick to products like the AR Drone.

I have 2 WKM's and one of them is still on the original firmware. I love it it works perfectly and I don't have to arm it. I have flown Hoverfly , KK, Black Vortex, UAVX and FY-91Q and none of them worked anywhere near as good as the WKM. I am amazed the first release of firmware is fault free. I know there are folks with some gimbal issues but that doesn't affect me as I have never relied on the WKM for gimbal control.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:44 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,984 Posts
+1
you are correct sir

[QUOTE=Tahoe Ed;20349821

There are a few here that have posted that haven't even read the manual through and understand what it says. Get off your a$$ and become a student of your sport. Don't expect the rest of us to spoon feed you the information we have had to learn and you are unwilling to dig for. We are willing to help but do your homework first. Understand the FC and your transmitter/receiver. Learn how to program your esc's.

Sorry for the rant but sometimes the quality of the questions and the response to the help gets me. This is supposed to be fun. So go have some.[/QUOTE]
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:05 PM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,321 Posts
Here's a vid I shot yesterday of the pond here with a little water in it now. I'm really happy with my DJI! XA X-650, old style, XA camera mount.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Aerial View of Hodges Hobbies New Lake by Bill Davenport (5 min 51 sec)
badbill is online now Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,383 Posts
Looks great thanks for posting. At around the 3 min mark it looked like you posted a still image with motor sounds. Rock solid, if I didn't see the legs moving in the image I would guess there was no wind, but it looked and sounds pretty windy.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:37 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
Here's a vid I shot yesterday of the pond here with a little water in it now. I'm really happy with my DJI! XA X-650, old style, XA camera mount.

Bill Davenport
Hi Bill. Fantastic results.
The XA mount, is this the one for the gopro and are you using the servos that XA supply? Are you running this through the wookong mc?
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,040 Posts
Quote:

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wmPeotaKbw
WOW that looks real nice. Looks like you have the Gimbal dialed in good. what camera did you use
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:44 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
Wait, wait, wait, that depends on how you define user error.
I know my statement was a harsh generalization. But with even the 10% issue: I know there's potential there for a problem, and decent well above quarter stick when ever possible. (although I think yours chuck was not doing that correct?)
Others have also trimmed out that bottom end point in atti mode as a safety. So I know that saying all problems are user related is too broad, but this is RC. There are too many inherent flaws with integration. I've seen it in cars, planes, helis (ESPECIALLY HELIS), and there are just too many gotchas that we as RC'rs need to be aware of... And it usually takes many failures and bad forum reading to learn.
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Sep 2010
171 Posts
Quote:
Yeah Bill, give up the poop !

Looking very nice there. From north Florida, that's very Georgia looking....and looks like you're getting very small in the window too.
pigsnibble is offline Find More Posts by pigsnibble
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:27 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Quote:

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Definitely has potential, but I can't tell if the gimball or the deshake is doing most of the work lol.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:23 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
Definitely has potential, but I can't tell if the gimball or the deshake is doing most of the work lol.
Watching the clip second time around I see what you mean.
Bill. How was the raw footage?
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined May 2005
1,179 Posts
we should have black box in our copters, recording every stick input, esc signal and bad tx signal etc...

So when there is a bad landing we could check the logs :-)
liteglow is online now Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jun 2011
92 Posts
Quote:

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Real nice Bill! What servos are you using on your XA gimbal? Thanks.
TimIndy is offline Find More Posts by TimIndy
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:48 PM
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,321 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the kudos, I wasn't expecting that. It's an hd gopro, not the 2, in 720/60fps. I used the youtube video editor to smooth it, but frankly the original wasn't much different. Just a wee bit shakier, not bad at all. Wind was 6-9 mph, shot in Andersonville, GA. Stock XA gopro mount & servos, with the camera mounted with velcro and 1/4" foam rubber between the mount and camera.
Disclaimer- I have been doing this for less than ten total flights with video.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the kudos, I wasn't expecting that. It's an hd gopro, not the 2, in 720/60fps. I used the youtube video editor to smooth it, but frankly the original wasn't much different. Just a wee bit shakier, not bad at all. Wind was 6-9 mph, shot in Andersonville, GA. Stock XA gopro mount & servos, with the camera mounted with velcro and 1/4" foam rubber between the mount and camera.
Disclaimer- I have been doing this for less than ten total flights with video.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Nice. The gimbal is working great
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:14 PM
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
Nice. The gimbal is working great
Here's the foam mount. IMO, it made a BIG difference in the video. I just noticed, I didn't say- The gimbal is controlled by the DJI WKM, and powered by an old original UBEC 6v.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
RCG Plus Member