HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2010, 08:53 AM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Discussion
Some basic guidlines

Background: Intermediate flyer with limited 3d skills. I have a mini4site (good for the 95'x100' empty lot next door but can't take much breeze), a mini showtime and the first 3dhs velox.

I'd like to get something in between in EPP. I'm not sure if I want to be in the 5-10oz, 15-20oz or 25oz+- range, if flat plate or airfoiled wing......

I understand an airfoiled wing will handle more breeze; what is a good rule of thumb on how much breeze would make it better to go from flat plate to airfoil?

Also, is there any rules of thumb for flying area needed? Using my empty lot scenario as a starting place; what wingspan/weight range would I want to stay in?

I also have a reasonably close flying area that's probably 200' square - how about ws/wt for this?

I've been burning up the reading lamp in this forum and finding plenty of vendors and planes that come well recommended......my head is spinning.

Any help with "general guidelines" would be appreciated as it would allow me to winnow out some good candidates.

Thanks,

Jim
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2010, 12:36 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
The backyard is much smaller than the area you have,id suggest flat plate epp planes,inexpensive planes,power systems and lipos($20.00 will get the motor,esc and a 2s 500mah lipo in that size)+ what ever plane you choose and be in the $100.00 or less range usually to set up that size. 7-10oz 32''+ ws flys nice but can be a handful to fly in 10mph wind etc depending on your experience flying in wind. 15-20oz 38''+ ws flys better and in that size youll see more epp planes with semi full fuselages and airfoiled wings but may be a bit large to fly in that size area depending on your experience with throttle management and slowing planes down or harrier flight etc in tight spaces. 25oz or larger will fly even better and handle more wind but be a bit more difficult to fly in tighter areas but the planes will fly nice and be up to 50'' wingspan in epp and airfoiled with semi full fuselage designs. For me It comes down to value for the money,what gear i already have that would work in a plane etc. If i need more room to fly than the back yard theres parks and open areas around here but having planes you can just walk out the door and fly has been a lot of fun the past year and there epp so there all still flying . Ive only been flying techone planes but theres plenty of other good epp planes out there,heres some video of some of them in the yard and in more open areas. Size is from 7oz to 15 oz roughly for these ones. 25oz+ ive only flown my own scratch built planes in 48'' and a 55'' dw but the big foamies fly really nice if you have enough room to fly them as well.

Techone Spirit Epp Flying In Yard HD (4 min 32 sec)

Techone Energy 3D Epp Biplane Maiden! (6 min 14 sec)

Techonehobby Rainbow Calmer Wind Flying! (5 min 46 sec)

Techone Souka 3D Epp Morning Flying! (6 min 55 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Old Jul 02, 2010, 08:26 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Hey jbird i'm about the same set you are exccept i have lots of expirience with edf jets and fast planes but i've always been interested in getting a simple foam 3d plane to mess around the yard. For about the last 2 weeks I've been scouting around for simple foam planes and came across the techone planes. They all seem to be very good kits and most of them are made out of epp foam so they can take some hits. I will probably be getting the techone pulama biplane if I don't find anything else.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jul 02, 2010, 09:41 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
I'll put in my opinion for something from Mike at MidwestFoamPlanes. I've flown both the EPPYak 55 and the EPP Edge 540. I've flown both of them in my yard, which is about the same size as your lot. Mine were all scratchbuilt, but I did purchase a 42" Edge kit from Mike and the service is great, plus it's a very well cut kit. Just my 2 cents

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:14 PM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Thanks for the info and vids!

Jim
Old Jul 04, 2010, 07:33 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,949 Posts
Vector, Yedge or Crazy 88, Checkout Twistedhobbys.com
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jul 06, 2010, 09:01 AM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Although I want to keeping reading regarding a mono wing that will fit the bill (empty lot). I do like biplanes so have ordered the Crazy 88 (should be in later this week). The 88 will get me going while I learn more about these size planes.

I've been hitting the flight sim several times a week (I only get to fly the bigger planes once a week at most), I'm hoping that the foamy in the empty lot will replace the sim to a large extent.......

Jim