HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:46 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
See Bob, you are famous. Now don't get the coach mad at you, he may have the kids do some drills on you while flying.
Great story and one that only you could tell and now you got an in to get some kids in the air in the future. Nothing like a Flutter-By to turn heads, both young and those that are a little older than young.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Only Jack knows just exactly how many are out there. There are many, I know, I got 4, two big, two little.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Oct 08, 2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: fingers going the wrong way. Engage brain first.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2010, 01:11 AM
Joined Feb 2010
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
See Bob, you are famous. Now don't get the coach mad at you, he may have the kids do some drills on you while flying.
Great story and one that only you could tell and now you got an in to get some kids in the air in the future. Nothing like a Flutter-By to turn heads, both young and those that are a little older than young.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Only Jack knows just exactly how many are out there. There are many, I know, I got 4, two big, two little.
So tell me, how do the little ones fly compared to the big ones? Are they brushless? Just curious on your thoughts.

Mags
Magnumb is offline Find More Posts by Magnumb
Old Oct 09, 2010, 02:09 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
I believe that the mini-Flutter-By is much better than a Vapor. It will fly as slow as a Vapor, flies a somewhat similar to a Vapor, yet has power, will go straight up if you want it to, loop and in the end, it flies just like the full size one. They are impressive in the air. Bob has one, I have two, a Flutter-BI and a Flutter-By mini. They are a hoot in the gym, at E-Fest and at the JR Indoor. They are sturdy and I love mine. I built boxes to carry them, I had one get damaged riding around in the car, well that put an end to them riding free, now they are in foam boxes I made. They are half inch blue foam, a place to place them in the box will wheel chocks, then velcro to hold them in. They are fun to fly, turn heads and are desired by many. I have had many offers to buy mine, of course I said, no. I must say that Jack took the large Flutter-By and made the mini and usually that results in lack of preformance in most models, Jack did this well, I can see no loss, just the same as the large Flutter-By. Now I won't fly the mini in as much wind as I have flown the large Flutter-By, mostly because I am chicken and I don't want to lose my mini. I believe that in most cases an airframe that flies well at one size, many times won't enlarge or scale down to the same flying ability as the original. In this case that idea of mine, theory, whatever you want to call it, is totally destroyed. Jack is a master of design, how he got that way, I have no idea. I have watched him build, he repaired two of my Flutter-Bys and he is a craftsman.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
They are brushless, one runs on two cell lipo, the other one will run on a three cell lipo. Small batteries. I can't remember what sizes, but 200 mah or there about. Weight is very important in these small Flutter-Bys.

Bob, help me out! Have I got it about right!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Oct 09, 2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added thoughts
Old Oct 09, 2010, 04:14 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
558 Posts
Ok, I'll ask the next question. How much do the minis go for?
325FGP is online now Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Oct 09, 2010, 07:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
Ok, I'll ask the next question. How much do the minis go for?
You can't afford what no one will sell ya ;o)

Joking aside, my understanding is that Jack is not building the minis right now. If he will offer them at another time is anyones guess.

Personally I hope he does as I am about 130% sure i will own one!!!

But don't take my word for it, he is easy to contact. No one can answer better than him.

Mags
Old Oct 09, 2010, 08:08 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
268 Posts
Magnumb, I own four of the Flutter-Bys flying on the East coast of NC. There are two others in the Jacksonville area that I'm aware of. While in Champaign, IL, at E-fest 2009, we met a fellow from Charlotte, NC, which is in the Western part of the state. After seeing the Flutter-By's performance, he ordered one from Jack. That's 7 that I know of in North Carolina.
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Oct 09, 2010, 08:47 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
I know of 5 here in Northern Michigan. I own 4, and Christoph owns one. So that is at least 12, plus Jack has about 4 or 5 of them at the shop, plus we know that Jay Smith has one for sure, Bob has 2, one large, one mini. I don't know when Jack will build any mini's either. I can say they are about the same price or a bit more than the large ones. When you go small, the cost of parts goes up, hard to make good parts lightweight and cheap, it costs money to make good light parts, thus the cost goes up.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:23 AM
Joined Feb 2010
334 Posts
Great info guys, those little ones look like great performers.

We have a very healthy indoor scene here in Edmonton, we fly in a world war 2 era hanger attached to the flight museum. Blatchford field has a long and storied life and during ww2 it was the busiest airport in north america as the starting point for the crossing to Russia etc.

Sadly the city has voted to shut it down....and I won't go
Into that now.

Anyhow more details than you need. But I am certainly expecting much interest in this plane when I bring it out. Some will get it, some won't - tis life, but should be worth a few good conversations in the least.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:46 AM
Joined Feb 2010
334 Posts
Just got an email from Jack that my plane is ready to go!

Too exciting. I will try to post vid when I get it, but I can't send final payment until I get home from holidays, so I must wait now *sigh

I have never been a patient guy.

Thanks Jack for all your work on this!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:56 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
It is great to be excited about your Flutter-By coming. I am sure you will be very happy. I flew mine on Sunday through two batteries. I had a blast. I am getting ready for the JR Indoor, so I had to fly in a much smaller area than I usually do. I tried to stay between four cones on the grass runway, which are about 50 feet across and about 200 feet apart. I had a great time with it.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:32 AM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Flutter-Bys @ Jr Indoor

Hey Conehead, I figured you'd be going to the JR Indoor..........saw a picture of the 2009 event that was of you and your "Flock-o-Flutters"! Then I read the rules for the event this year and it seems it is limited to only motors of less than 300 series unless you get permission from the Event Director. So, the question is, what has been your experience flying the FlutterBy there?

Do they "recognize" its outrageously wide performance envelope that allows it to both shred the sky AND fly slow and smooth?

Might be going myself, but didn't realize that the JR is so oriented to the little end of the hobby............thought it was more like the Ohio version of E-fest.

Comments?

Bob
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:58 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
I have flown my Flutter-Bys every year. I had a couple of really spectacular Mid-Airs. I take off, climb up, circle around, then slowly climb back down and then I land. Terry has never said anything to me. I asked him about the weight, 16 oz and he said that was fine. I have seen some very large planes flown at the JR Indoor. Foam and Tape flies many large models and there has never been a problem. There are about 4 flight lines. One along the wall for Helies and 3-D. The main section for race track flying, turn left, go fast or slow, large pond, Spectrum Lake in the middle for float flying, to the far right, the micro area, Vapors, small stuff and in the back corner electric U-control and electric pylon flight.

They have jet time, really slow flying time, the large blimp flies around, dropping prizes and then there is the Hit the Target, where Bernie calls out, next plane to hit the target gets a prize. Like bugs to a light.

Combat is a hoot. About 40 planes in the air at once or there about. Pot was about $250 or there about to the winner.

This year there will be T-28 races. The new micro-T-28 will be raced. Last year they did pylon races with the micro P-51. At the end everyone who entered got a chance at winning one of the 10 P-51 planes. I think this year will be similar.

Terry is working hard at getting it all ready for flying on Friday Morning. I am going to help set up on Thursday and tear down on Sunday. I am staying with a fellow who got me into Indoor flying, Dave Agee.

You will love it. Lots more room, no pilot stations. You may see 10 to 30 planes in the air at once. So you can fly, fly, fly. No noon time demos or what demos are very short.

Come fly and bring your friend from Muncie. Jack needs a short vacation for sure. Besides it will be great to see him again.

Also I am told there will be a Vapor Port. On top of the elevated T's we will be flying Vapors. Also I am sure there will be some night flying Vapors also.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:59 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
268 Posts
Bob... I'm ready to go back to Muncie - how 'bout you? It's a shame I live 12 hours away, and you only have to drive a little over two! Oh well, it makes the time I do get to spend there a lot more special!

I was flying my Mickey plane yesterday morning, when I heard a loud roar and applause from the neighbors about five houses down from where I live. They had looked up and seen Mickey fly over, and loved it! (It seems my grandkids aren't the only ones that love Mickey.) I landed quickly and put a Flutter-By in the air to make them think they were seeing things!
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
Joined Feb 2010
334 Posts
I really hope to see this thread keep going. If only we could get the word out to other Flutter-by owners.

On the other hand I just had a thought. Usually threads have a long life and keep going because people need tips, tricks to get the model to fly better, or have issues, hangups what have you.....but that's just it isn't it. There ARE no issues or hang-ups with this plane, there is no need for tips and tricks because it just works.

Geez that should say enough for this plane....this should prove it's worth, there are a bunch of them out there, but this sucker just works....

I see now that keeping this thread alive will take some work!! But I feel it's important if only to introduce this plane to others.

Seriously, I just found out about this plane through a random search I must have done, totally accidental, as soon as I saw it I new I had to have one. There are FEW planes that have been absolute, pay this minute, gotta have it no matter what it takes experiences for me. When I say few I mean none, I am fairly plane agnostic. I am a pilot so I get my "scale" fix there, but I just look for unique flyers and this one did it.....nailed it even.n

Anyhow I will do all i can to spread the flutter-by love....

Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Joined Mar 2006
1,468 Posts
Can anyone who has been flying the Flutter-By for some time comment on maintenance or parts they usually break? I am an intermediate pilot and have no doubts about being able to keep this plane from crashing, but we all have those days, from time to time. Is this plane pretty resilient with slight crashes & such?

I plan on ordering the Orange version w/ LED lights; can anyone comment on what type of servos and ESC Jack installs on these aircraft? I'm currently awaiting an email from him now. Thanks!!

Soon to be Flutter-By owner!
Rare Bear is offline Find More Posts by Rare Bear