HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wadebridge
Joined Jul 2014
33 Posts
Build Log
Novice, my first build

Hi all.

I joined a few days ago and after a couple of feeler posts I have decided to follow the RC Groups members advice and pick a foamy to build, then ask the relevant questions as the needs arise.

As already said (in another post), I feel confident that I can handle the construction side of the build but I have almost zero comprehension of servos, speed controllers, motors, etc.

My location is sadly always windy (an almost constant 5mph wind) and I have smashed and lost a number of rc planes and multi-copters in the past, so my location is not the best but it will have to do as its where I live

Reading the forum posts, it seems larger planes tend to deal with wind better (my planes have always been small ones, as large ones are too expensive), so a large foamy would seem to be the logical choice. Also, foamy's seem to have good power, so (to my mind) one should be able to overcome the constant winds that bellow in from the Atlantic Ocean (only 4 miles away).

I can't see any point in high level flying due to the winds, not a problem as I quite like the idea of an acrobatic plane, that I can fly low level on the near-by football fields.

So, I have my target to aim for and I am hoping the RC Group members will be able to help me to reach it and along the way learn all about this fascinating subject.

My plane of choice is the "Nasty", as its simple and at the same time closely matches what I want.
It also seems the plane can be built and the servo, motor, etc, are added afterwards, which will help my lack of radio controlled planes internals knowledge.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390003

I will be placing an order over the weekend for some building materials and start building when they arrive
siteman is offline Find More Posts by siteman
Last edited by siteman; Yesterday at 11:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Build it and it will fly!
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Feb 2003
118 Posts
I don't want to discourage you from what you want to build, but I think a Russ40 TTP would fit your bill! It has a 50 inch wingspan, can be built in a day or two, and it flies great even in a slight breeze. The build can be found in this forum
Ken Wright is offline Find More Posts by Ken Wright
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
Joined Jul 2014
33 Posts
I am willing to look at anything that fits the bill, I will take a look.
Thanks
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
Joined Feb 2009
53 Posts
Its not necessarily the size of the airplane, but your wing loading (aircraft weight/wing area) that will play the biggest factor in how you handle the wind. 3D style planes like the Nasty have fairly low wing loadings, and will get tossed around quite a bit. Unless you are set on having something that flies like that, I would suggest a sport-style plane with moderate wing loading.

Depending on your piloting level, something like this guy might be good for the wind.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525812
I think he gives it a flat-plate airfoil wing, but I would personally pick a KFm2 for added strength
CaptBojangles is offline Find More Posts by CaptBojangles
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
812 Posts
Aaah,.... the memories. The Nasty was my first scratch build probably 7-8 years ago. Although it is very capable of aerobatics, the controls can be "dumbed down" to be a docile flyer. Build it light and select a 180 to 200 watt motor (approx 1000 kv) and a 10x3.8 prop. HK hxt900 servos are perfect.
Chatenever is offline Find More Posts by Chatenever
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,392 Posts
Since you're in the UK it might be an idea to have a look at the Wot Next...all British design, can be built from a single sheet of 6mm Depron and flies very well, even in some wind.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525812

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,219 Posts
Siteman, it's not the wind strength that matters most (within reason ) it's turbulence that makes life 'interesting' for a pilot.
If you can find a field where there the breeze is coming over a nice smooth surface (open farmland, large body of water etc.) the relatively laminar flow is quite easy to handle.
As the wind speed approaches the flight speed of the model the flight should be all up-breeze as much as possible. If you do go down-wind, immediately start to fight your way back. A plane can get very hard to see very quickly on a breezy day.
Most important: As you go down-wind the plane's speed will increase greatly. Do not throttle down. The ground speed is not aerodynamically important, but the airspeed is vital.
I'd say the Big Nasty will be fine for your needs. Planes with no dihedral do not get tossed around like planes with dihedral. And the more pronounced the dihedral, the worse they are.
Also, a plane like the BN has the control authority to get out of trouble (If your thumbs are good enough ) when turbulence flips it over at low altitude, and also it has the speed-range to cope well with the breeze.
Have fun...
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
Joined Jul 2014
33 Posts
Just spent the last few hours reading the Russ40 and the Wot-Next threads right through, both are impressive planes.
I do like the full frame of the Wot-Next over the Russ40.
They both seem high flyers and I didn't see any wacky acrobatics in the videos of either, at least not like I have seen in the Nasty videos.
So I think the Nasty is still top of my wish list, at the moment
I have ordered some building materials this evening.
I have not been able to source any carbon fibre rods yet, anyone know a reliable UK source?
Sadly I am on split shifts next week, so unsure what time I will have for any building but will try to make a start.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siteman View Post
So I think the Nasty is still top of my wish list, at the moment
Good choice.
The Wot Next is OK, but the Russ 40 is UGLY
Here in Oz we do brutal truth quite well.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Today, 03:23 AM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
522 Posts
Carbon tubes, rids and flat sections all available at Robotbirds. Under building materials.

Graeme
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Today, 06:18 AM
Joined Jul 2014
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechittyfather View Post
Carbon tubes, rids and flat sections all available at Robotbirds. Under building materials.

Graeme
Thanks for that.
I've had to email them, I will need rods almost 1 meter long but they don't ship rods that length (as standard) only do them as specials, according to their web site.
Old Today, 08:22 AM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
812 Posts
For the body, you can modify the design to add a horizontal to the fuselage so that the fuselage cross section is in the shape of a "+" This will eliminate the need for one carbon rod and will save weight. For the wing spar, an old (used) arrow shaft will do (albeit a bit heavy).
Chatenever is offline Find More Posts by Chatenever
Old Today, 12:49 PM
Joined Jul 2014
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatenever View Post
For the body, you can modify the design to add a horizontal to the fuselage so that the fuselage cross section is in the shape of a "+" This will eliminate the need for one carbon rod and will save weight. For the wing spar, an old (used) arrow shaft will do (albeit a bit heavy).
A useful work-around, thanks.

No reply about the rods yet, perhaps they don't work weekends.
Ordered parts will be delayed, as I got a call from the on-line seller explaining he was expecting bits in Tuesday.
So bits should be dispatched from Tuesday.

I picked up some building tools today; got a duel temperature glue gun, along with a 2ft steel rule, a 12 blade craft knife set and a pack of 10 small spring clamps
Old Today, 01:31 PM
Joined Apr 2013
510 Posts
A decent flight simulator can go a long way to preparing you for the quirks of the particular plane you're preparing to fly.

I've used x-plane's PlaneMaker software to "test" designs before building/flying. Fly with the view from the tower, to simulate RC.
It's a great way to avoid costly crashes and catch errors.
At first I was skeptical, so I "recreated" planes I've already built in real life, in the PlaneMaker software. I was stunned at how closely the simulated plane flew to the real plane - right down to the spin-at-stall of my high aspect ratio swept flying wing.
Of course, the predictive ability of the software is only as good as the data you feed it. Example of a mistake: If you enter some ridiculously unrealistic low weight that could never be achieved in real life, the simulated design is almost useless.
It's awesome to be able to quickly change variables and re-test.
You can make some incredibly weird designs that will fly just fine. Just keep the basic principles within reasonable limits: wing loading, aspect ratio, CG location, etc.
nuteman is online now Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel