SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,577 Posts
I got this reply from Hobby King when I asked how long it would be before the Skipper was back in the shop. Not very encouraging - they must have sold hundreds if not thousands, and the after-market is there, so why the big delay, I wonder?

Hi Mike,

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting us regarding the availability of the 1* 9215000015-0 (HobbyKing® ™ Skipper All Terrain Airplane EPO 700mm (PNF)). There is no guaranteed date for the replenishment of the stocks of it. But, I have enrolled your e-mail to our Stock Arrival Alert so that you will be notified once the item is available.

We deeply appreciate your continuous patronage of our services and products. For further assistance, kindly contact us through our live chat support 24/7.

Regards,

Daryl G.
HobbyKing Support Team
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:37 AM
Switzerland, OW, Sarnen
Joined May 2014
66 Posts
i got some more detailed info out of them. When i asked 3 days ago i was number 38 on backorder and they dont know when stock will arrive but it should be with in 30 days. I asked how many are arriving and if my order was going to get shipped on this next batch? he said there should be enough arriving. It would be great to get CS tied in with the guys who places the orders for HK so that they can give us a date.
DrBamBam is online now Find More Posts by DrBamBam
Old Yesterday, 03:47 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,577 Posts
Thanks DrBamBam, you got more from them than I did! A typical corporate "don't give a stuff about the customer" brush-off IMHO
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM
United States, WI, Wisconsin Rapids
Joined Nov 2007
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodd View Post
As I mentioned in my earlier post, at ultra low speed you can drag an aileron in the water (assuming you have enough throw). That helps drag that wing around. No aerodynamics involved, just one aileron in the water.

And at higher speeds when air does start to play a role, that pushes one wingtip into the water which has the same effect, drags that side of the plane around.
Definately be giving this a try. Flew it this last week and turning was mediocre even on smooth water with no wind. Flew great otherwise.
Han2007 is online now Find More Posts by Han2007
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Switzerland, OW, Sarnen
Joined May 2014
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike View Post
Thanks DrBamBam, you got more from them than I did! A typical corporate "don't give a stuff about the customer" brush-off IMHO
agreed... in the mean time i started scratch building a polaris xl.
DrBamBam is online now Find More Posts by DrBamBam
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
688 Posts
The supply issue is likely complicated by the fact Hobby King doesn't actually manufacture the Skipper, Joysway does. And I'm not surprised they're unwilling to give specifics about their order size. Sharing detailed info about your business plans online isn't something most companies are comfortable doing.

Regarding water takeoffs I've also noticed the Skipper tends to get stuck to the water during certain takeoff runs, not always though. I'd love to figure out what makes it do that.
Nodd is online now Find More Posts by Nodd
Last edited by Nodd; Today at 04:51 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,175 Posts
If the water is very calm and glassy, it may assist by slightly 'roughing' the water up before your take-off run. All you need to do is create some small ripples by taxiing around in a circle of figure eight. This will allow the floats to break free of the surface much easier - give it a go.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Today, 01:48 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,577 Posts
Good point Nodd.

I had trouble taking off grass at first, but suddenly it seemed I learned how to handle the plane and never had any problems after that. Apart from the terminal crash of course caused by losing orientation. Which is why I want a new one!
Old Today, 06:32 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
If the water is very calm and glassy, it may assist by slightly 'roughing' the water up before your take-off run. All you need to do is create some small ripples by taxiing around in a circle of figure eight. This will allow the floats to break free of the surface much easier - give it a go.
That is standard procedure for full size float planes when they are heavily loaded and the water is glassy. Another thing they do is tilt to one side to lift one of the floats off the water, but of course we can't do that with the Skipper.

What are you guys using for throws on the horns? Mine are all in the outer holes providing the least amount of throw.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Today, 07:58 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,529 Posts
Any tips to getting the foam spinner off without destroying it? Thinking of swapping to an apc 6x4 to get some more rigidity.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Today, 09:00 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,946 Posts
I managed to get mine off in two pieces which could be glued back together. I'm going to leave it off to allow air into the motor and because it looked funny anyway. It looked crooked because it was not centered in the cowl. The 6x4 prop works very well and is quieter.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx