HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2013, 02:32 PM
United States, WA, Edmonds
Joined Apr 2013
201 Posts
Discussion
Cj's Tarot 650 build

Hey guys,

New to the forum. Decided to post my 2nd build. Started out with a Blade MQX then an F450 clone before I finally decided I needed something a little bigger with legs to make the stable camera platform I've been looking for.

Build So Far:

Tarot 650 Iron Man Carbon Quad Folding Frame.
Sunnysky V2814 700kv motors
11x4.7 Carbon RC timer props
DJI Naza + GPS
SimonK flashed ESC's
Turnigy 9XR with Frsky DJT - no telemetry stuff yet.
Currently getting about 10-12minutes of flight with a Zippy 4S 5000mah battery and ending up at 3.8V on each cell consistently after that.
(RC timer 2-axis gimbal and controller on order)

I've got a bunch of different helmet cams. So far I've had the best luck with an older Contour HD and recently I've been playing with the Sony Action Cam AS10.

Here's a video using the Sony Cam setup as shown in the photos below:
Tarot 650 with kitehero line mount and Sony action cam test. 720@60p 120FOV stabilizer off (0 min 0 sec)

Here's a little clip of the Contour HD. I think my camera has soft focus on the left side which is why I'm moving to the sony from now on:
Tarot 650 Quadcopter First Flight - Contour HD cam onboard (1 min 41 sec)

Below are some pictures of the build and how I rigged up the sony cam. (got a little carried away with rubber bands, haha.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any ideas on how I can get better flight time and possibly more stable video in wind. My goal is to film kiteboarding so wind is going to be a constant issue.

Thanks,
CJ
c.j. is offline Find More Posts by c.j.
Last edited by c.j.; May 05, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Apr 2013
201 Posts
Did I post in the wrong section or something?

Seems like all I hear is crickets...
Old May 07, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
19 Posts
Looks good CJ, should be interesting with a gimbal.

How do you find the quality of the folding mechanism? Any slop/play?

Hope to see more vids soon
1080 is offline Find More Posts by 1080
Old May 07, 2013, 04:48 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Hillerod
Joined Apr 2013
38 Posts
How is the quality of the from, looking to buy either this or the 680.

Nice job!
m.svendsen is offline Find More Posts by m.svendsen
Old May 07, 2013, 05:01 PM
Albuquerque USA
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2012
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.svendsen View Post
How is the quality of the from, looking to buy either this or the 680.

Nice job!
Buy the 650 with the folding landing gear, buy 2 680 center plate, 2 extra arm boom and two motor mount and you have bothe working with a lower deck for your esc. Price all most the same as just buying the 680
Askyvision is online now Find More Posts by Askyvision
Old May 07, 2013, 11:40 PM
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Nice set up! what are your settings gain yaw pitch ect.. i have close to same set up as you tarot 650 with tigers
Birds Eye is offline Find More Posts by Birds Eye
Old May 08, 2013, 01:30 AM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2009
749 Posts
Nice video!
Fastgixxerlv is offline Find More Posts by Fastgixxerlv
Old May 08, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Apr 2013
201 Posts
Thanks guys!

This hobby is very new to me but I'm already completely hooked.

To answer a few of the questions.

I have my gains all equal across the board and set to a control knob on my TX so I can adjust them as needed but It seems like right around 120% seems to be the sweet spot with the 11x4.7 RC timer props.

I've been trying out some 11x5 carbon Graupner style RCtimer props and find the descent is a lot more stable and the gain settings don't seem to be near as touchy. On the down side I'm also loosing a few minutes of flight time with them.

Quality of the folding mechanism seems fine. I can imagine it would break if you abused it but it seems fine for now. The way the legs attached seemed a little odd and it was annoying that there was no directions for attaching the legs. I managed to figure it out but I notices some of the mounting screws that hold the legs on seemed a little long and actually cut into some carbon they weren't supposed to.

The only issue with the frame I've really had is that one of the little carbon pieces that attaches the skids to the legs cracked in the first few flights. I took some protoboard I had laying around and made new parts for both sides. No problems since.

I'd like to figure out a way to extend my flight time upwards of 15minutes.

after receiving the RCtimer gimbal and a defective RCtimer gimbal controller which I managed to smoke already. I'm re-evaluating adding all the weight of this gimbal to the rig.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'll try and post a video soon of something more interesting instead of just flying around my yard. haha
Old May 08, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Apr 2013
201 Posts
Anybody think I should be running some 12x3.8 APC props on here instead of the flashy RC timer carbon props? I've heard mixed things about both the RC timer carbon slowflyers and the E props.
Old May 09, 2013, 02:43 AM
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
my bottom part of the legs broke off first day.. other wise i had no issues with it, except i get really bad wobbles if wind picks up...
Birds Eye is offline Find More Posts by Birds Eye
Old May 09, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2013
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds Eye View Post
my bottom part of the legs broke off first day.. other wise i had no issues with it, except i get really bad wobbles if wind picks up...
What props and motors are you using?
Old May 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Apr 2013
201 Posts
one more video. This one is from a few various weather conditions including some pretty windy flying. I'm pretty unimpressed with the Sony's noisey oversaturated video so I've order a Gopro Hero 3 Black to try out instead.

Debating getting the gimbal running too since it appears the quad has to lean pretty far into wind to hold position.

If I throw a gimbal on this do you guys think I should up my props from the RC timer slow fly carbon 11x4.7 to an RC Timer 13x4 E Carbon Prop? I'm not sure what the benefit or draw back might be. Seems like the V2814-11 700kv motors should be able to handle a 13" prop from what I've read though.

Tarot 650 w/ NAZA GPS quad copter - testing different wind conditions with Sony Action Cam onboard (2 min 33 sec)
Old May 14, 2013, 08:14 PM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2009
749 Posts
I run 13" props but my motor is 600kv. I have a bunch of 12x45 Gemfans if you want to try them. I'll give them up for $2 plus shipping a pair since you have the same quadcopter as me.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:58 AM
Joined Apr 2013
201 Posts
what pitch are you running on the 13" props?

are you running 3s or 4s batteries? How do you like that setup?
Old May 15, 2013, 11:48 AM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2009
749 Posts
I have wood ones 13x4.5 which I use for video, they are heavier and makes the control input smoother. I also run 13x6 carbon fiber and makes it fly like a hotrod. I use 4s 5000 batteries. I've never timed it but probably close to 20mins normal video flights and a little less when I'm hauling butt.