HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:22 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
The Sullivan Tuffstrand has way too much drag, go with more modern Spectra lines.
Or the more traditional stainless steel, less stretchy that the Spectra.

Pat MacKenzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
Spectra can be obtained at a reasonable price. Recently I purchased from E-Bay Spectra (Dyneema) in 60 lbs. test, 300 meters, color yellow for $10 shipping included. It was from a seller in China, but he had very high ratings. That is enough for 8 sets of 60 feet long lines.
I've got the spectra on hand, I'm a kite flyer as well..not as active in that since I got back into rc, but still have plenty of extra line sets
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:37 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
709 Posts
I fly both R/C and control line at our R/C field. When I fly my old time control line planes with old ignition engines I usually draw a few of the R/Cers over to watch. We have a fairly remote field so the noise of an open exhaust sparker is hard to ignore. Since I am almost 73 years old 4 or 5 flights on one of these is about all the excercise a guy needs in a day. But oh so much fun. The large 68" wing span Brit Taurus weighs about 64 ounces and pulls really hard on 65' lines. Both of these planes will do the complete old time stunt pattern.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:02 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
322 Posts
I flew my elect. Flite Streak out the other day and got some interest from the RC guys. I fly combat out there all the time and they enjoy watching, but no one is ever interested in learning it. It's so much fun I didnt understand why.....until I really pay attention to what were doing. Holding a 30K rpm carbon prop between out legs, flip it with our fingers, remove the battery clip and adjust the needle just inches from the prop, have it running just inches from our manhood, then handle the little buzz saw like it was nothing. Most RC guys use an elect starter and have an engine that idles, sitting in a holder on the ground. No wonder they think the combat guys are crazy!
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:33 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
582 Posts
Here's my latest project, a 1950 Ringmaster 42" span profile CL with McCoy .35 Red Head.
GallopingGhostlr is online now Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:29 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
709 Posts
Ringmasters and McCoy Red Heads go together like bread and butter. Wiping the castor off of a Ringmaster with a grin on your face from a days flying is about as fun as it gets.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:27 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,751 Posts
moving my FS conversion here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post26375182
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:03 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
Ringmasters and McCoy Red Heads go together like bread and butter. Wiping the castor off of a Ringmaster with a grin on your face from a days flying is about as fun as it gets.
True. I'll know more when I fly this beast. I really like these Testor engines. Usually flip starts on the first several flips of the chicken stick. Once needle is set, don't need to mess with it on repeat flights. It doesn't get any better than this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:18 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
Those Flite Streaks are very good fliers, too, the flip side to the Sterling S-1 or S-1a Ringmaster. I see you are doing an electric motor conversion. With the timer from RSM Distribution, Brodak, etc. makes these electrics practical. Pat King has various kits of the electric Ringmaster. Down the road I'd like to give an electric CL plane build a try.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:50 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
I love making and flying kits!
Nice! It's youre neighbors that are crazy