HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:34 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
Mig 29 becomes arrow

I finally got my Mig 29 airborne today – briefly. I apparently overdid the tension on the bungee, and it left my ramp like an arrow from a hunting bow. Although I had done my best to set it up straight and true, apparently some trim was required as it was rolling to the right. I couldn’t overcome the roll before it hit, embedded up to the canopy in soft dirt. The left wing was knocked loose and the battery mashed a couple of formers.
Question of repair: with the short wingspan and reasonable root area I’m tempted to try epoxy on the wing/fuse joint followed by some fiberglass reinforcement around the repair, but without the surgery required to splice the spar. I haven’t repaired an EDF yet, would that approach underestimate the stresses on the plane?
Thanks,
George
GAANDAHL is offline Find More Posts by GAANDAHL
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:36 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
Now the Mystery

I heard a “TING” sound as it came off the bungee, just before I cranked up the motor. The spinner is missing , but the screw that holds it on is still there. I’m guessing it was cracked by my bungee’s towhook, and flew apart when I started the motor. Would I be giving up significant thrust by operating without it? If so, who is likely to carry parts in the US? Thanks for any comments.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:02 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
ooh sorry to see that

Spinner probably came off due to too much tension, cracked and the rpm took it off. You'll probably see very little loss by flying without.

I think you can use epoxy/glass as you suggested for repairs, if you can add a part joiner even better. A 3-4" long 1/8" ply rib epoxied next to the spar will do nicely.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:48 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
Thanks Haldor, there's nothing that can beat hearing from the designer! By the way, I was really impressed at the relative lack of damage from a pretty tough hit. Good design work! I'll start repairs next weekend.
Best,
George
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:48 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Good to hear damage was minimal considering the impact. It wasnt designed for crashing though so stop it would ya?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 01:18 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
Things happen so quick on a bungee, it's hard to react in time, especialy on a new airplane. That's why I like 90mm fan sized ROG birds with retracts. They're an important part of a balanced breakfast
Ed Waldrep is online now Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Oct 13, 2003, 09:53 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,425 Posts
Re: Now the Mystery

Quote:
Originally posted by GAANDAHL
I heard a “TING” sound as it came off the bungee, just before I cranked up the motor. The spinner is missing , but the screw that holds it on is still there. I’m guessing it was cracked by my bungee’s towhook, and flew apart when I started the motor. Would I be giving up significant thrust by operating without it? If so, who is likely to carry parts in the US? Thanks for any comments.
I have extra cones that you are welcome to.
Bob
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Oct 13, 2003, 03:16 PM
Wof
London Southend, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2002
1,115 Posts
How long was the bungee at full stretch ?
Wof is offline Find More Posts by Wof
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:52 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
Bob,
Thanks, I'll contact you off-line in a few days.

Wof,
It was 25 feet from the front of the ramp to the bungee stake. However the bungee was doubled over to effectively give 2 strands. It was off-scale on my fish scale. I was shooting for 13-15 lb, but probably had something closer to 20 lb. Whoosh!
George
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:54 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
Oops - make that 25 yards.
George
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:02 AM
Wof
London Southend, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2002
1,115 Posts
I am new to this bungee stuff i know there are enough threads to fill a book on the subject, i have only launched by bungee three times so i am no expert my one was only 12-15 metres long at full stretch.

Perhaps it may have been to short but i wanted to get it of that hook ASAP, seemed to work ok like yours it was doubled up pulled back until it felt right.

I might have just been lucky though
Wof is offline Find More Posts by Wof
Old Oct 14, 2003, 05:28 AM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
When I used it on the T-33 it was not doubled over and the plane stayed on the line for quite a distance. The launches had ample power but not so violent. On that setup I was pulling about 8 lb.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 07:17 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GAANDAHL
When I used it on the T-33 it was not doubled over and the plane stayed on the line for quite a distance. The launches had ample power but not so violent. On that setup I was pulling about 8 lb.
I'm 100% confident that thats all the MiG needs.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:45 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
Thanks Haldor. Just before I made this attempt I changed my towhook location to that recommended by Trond (and I could tell it is a better position even during this brief launch). After repair I'll reduce tension and go again.
George
Old Oct 16, 2003, 02:12 AM
Trondelag, Norway
Joined Mar 2003
258 Posts
Sorry about the mishap
I stretch mine to 12 lb with a simple fishing scale and seems to work well. Which rubber do you use?

Trond
trondb is offline Find More Posts by trondb