HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
Discussion
Got it cleared with the boss !

So my wife finally agreed, I can get a new heli ( I leave her in charge of finances ) and we worked out a deal. either a Align trex 450 pro with a Dx6i, or a 500 ESP and no new radio. since im only using a flysky ct6 im thinking more towards the 450 pro / Dx6i. tell me what you think
RC_Marine is offline Find More Posts by RC_Marine
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:45 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,434 Posts
I definitely agree with the 450 and DX6i choice.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:00 AM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,915 Posts
I concur, money spent on a quality radio is wise. The 450 Pro is also an excellent heli choice. Although, you might try to convince her of the radio and the 500E since the 500 Super combo ($505 @ Heli Direct) doesn't cost much more than the 450 Pro Super combo ($499 @ Heli Direct). You should also call around to your local hobby shops, they may be able to cut you a deal.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:59 AM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
I was looking at the 500e but im not a fan of the composite parts, plus I'd like to get into a torque tube. I'm also thinking going from a 450 to a 500 is not really the jump im looking for, when the time is right id like to get into a 600 or better. Amainhobbies has the pro for $469
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:52 AM
banging head on wall
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Feb 2010
1,199 Posts
Here is is one some ones listed on rc groups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1423485
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:32 AM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
of course I woke up this morning wanting a 500. how well do the composite parts on the 500e hold up?? what kind of headspeed am I limited to with the composite tail and blade grips? helidirect is selling the 500E for $504, I can swing that and a dx6... if I can find them in stock anywhere.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:48 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Marine View Post
im only using a flysky ct6 im thinking more towards the 450 pro / Dx6i. tell me what you think
I'll tell you what I think - but it may not be what you think. On the 450 front - unless you are a reasonably experienced pilot and have built a kit before - the 450 PRO is a poor choice. The torque-tube design does not allow any slip of the tail rotor like the belt does - meaning if the tail rotor hits the ground while the motor is running the umbrella gears will instantly strip. They are not only a a real pain to replace (there are 2 sets of them) they are not cheap. Also the PRO uses a servo-plate to hold the cyclic servos instead of mounting them on the side of the body - and the tail rotor servo is mounted inside the body - making them difficult to access and adjust the servo horns. The 450 Sport uses a belt and the original method to mount the servos on the side - with much improved mounting plates. The kit is well thought out and designed - only criticism I had was they shrinked the space for the gyro and you can no longer use the GY401 casing - unless you move the gyro shelf down and drill new holes.

On the 500 front - replacement parts - blades - batteries - etc - are 50-100% more expensive. More stable - no doubt - especially in the wind. Same problem with the TT but you can opt for a belt. The main limitation is where to fly it? The increase in size is noticeable if you just want to fly in the local park. They are more dangerous - they are darn right scarey if one gets too close to you. Kids crawl out of the rocks when they see one - not necessarily a good thing. Take your wife out for dinner - she deserves it!
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:07 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
I agree with CapJac. Every model shop I have talked to in Hong Kong recommends the Sport instead of the Pro because of the gear stripping problem. You have to be near crash free for it to be worthwhile. A 500 heli is quite intimidating. A few months ago, the batteries of a 500 caught fire after a crash and set fire to a whole area of grass at our old airport. Subsequently, all model flying was banned at that site.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:17 AM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
I have built a heli numerous times. The heli I'm flying now was completely built from scratch using parts from 3 different helis. I'm pretty much beyond crashing, all recent crashes I have had have been due to defective parts. Im a fairly experienced pilot, I can perform flips rolls and inverted flight without any issues
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:23 AM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
450 pro and dx6i without a blink of an eye bro..I'm thinking of getting a 450 pro It is nothing to change out the gearing as long as you stay on top of it..
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Last edited by Enguneer; Apr 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:30 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,975 Posts
When you got your mind up - you got your mind up. When you ordering make sure you buy some extra umbrella gears for the torque tube.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:35 AM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
The 450 pro is one sick heli, That thing has madd power..

Alan Szabo Jr. Trex 450 Pro (4 min 55 sec)
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Go with the Pro. Otherwise jump up one step and get the 550. the 500 is a dying breed.

There are two types of TT for the Pro, use the break-away one so you don't strip the umbrella gears. After a few crashes, you can pull the boom housing and change the gear and TT is about 20 minutes. There are tricks to do this.

If you want more surface to mount the gyro, get the KDE gyro plate/anti-rotation upgrade. It is not ncessary as I have mounted the vbar sensor/Futaba 750 sensor and the BeastX unit on the stock one without problem.

The Pro on 6s is insane!
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:42 AM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Go with the Pro. Otherwise jump up one step and get the 550. the 500 is a dying breed.

There are two types of TT for the Pro, use the break-away one so you don't strip the umbrella gears. After a few crashes, you can pull the boom housing and change the gear and TT is about 20 minutes. There are tricks to do this.

If you want more surface to mount the gyro, get the KDE gyro plate/anti-rotation upgrade. It is not ncessary as I have mounted the vbar sensor/Futaba 750 sensor and the BeastX unit on the stock one without problem.

The Pro on 6s is insane!
Here is a man who knows what hes talking about..Changing them out is very easy indeed..If you have done it once or twice
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Marine View Post
I have built a heli numerous times. The heli I'm flying now was completely built from scratch using parts from 3 different helis. I'm pretty much beyond crashing, all recent crashes I have had have been due to defective parts. Im a fairly experienced pilot, I can perform flips rolls and inverted flight without any issues
A crash due to defective parts is still a crash. This will still happen if it is completely Align, as I have found our with my 450. You only go beyond crashing when you decide not to advance any further. My crash rate is less than 1 in 100 at the moment and I am not satisfied with my progress at all.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw