HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:29 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,747 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake Albatros DXI in 1/6 scale

I made this thread a 'discussion' and it may remain so for quite a while...at least 'til my Morane AI is completed
It was not my intention to build another of Peter's models for a while but had been poring over pictures and Datafiles looking for a type that had masses of info available and then saw that Pete had the rather pugnacious Albatros DXI up for grabs - an aircraft for which there is almost NO data available! I'd never done a lozenge camo scheme before, and encouraged by Hammerd's results (who isn't) decided that a simple DXI build would make an ideal step before tackling the next big 'un later on. Pete is still designing that beastie for me

The Albatros DXI is about as far removed from it's sleek, sexy predecessors (DVa etc) as it could be but has a certain ugly-duck charm and will be infinitely easier to build with a square fuselage and round engine.

Only two prototypes were built serial 2208 and 2209. Both differed - one had a four bladed prop and balanced ailerons, the other was two bladed and normal Albatros ailerons. One was varnished wood fuselage and the other mauve and green camouflage. Both had Lozenge pattern wings.

I have a grand total of 4 useful photos - 3 of one machine and 1 of the other. While Pete's model physically depicts the two blade, varnished wood version, I'm sure no one would complain if the other colours were used!

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Jun 19, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:41 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,747 Posts
DXI - the model..

This model is stubby little beast although at 1/6 scale is not that tiny. With a span of about 52" (1350 cm) and a length of only 34" (860mm), the DXI model stands over 18" (450) tall! The long legs needed to swing the big prop.

The model looks to be rather simple to build with no wire rigging and a rather old-fashioned fuselage construction - square with a rounded deck. The wings are entirely conventional the top being supported at the centre by two bipods. The outer struts are of solid 1/8 ply with two diagonal struts from fuselage to lower wing each side.

I am thinking of about a 4 - 4.5 lb model - probably similar to the Rake 54" SE5a. My only concern being how difficult will such a stubby little airframe be to fly?

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:46 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,747 Posts
DXI - the real thing....

These are the only decent DXI photos I have.....probably a blessing as one might be tempted to keep it '..as per plan....' Well, I'll try

Any further info from anyone will be welcome - I think Baldguy asked some time back but apart from references to the Windsock Albatros experimental book (which I cant find), there seems to be very little data - and I've spent a lot of time looking on the 'net as well as my book collection.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:12 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,037 Posts
Good luck - subscribed. Hope you don't get too side tracked from the MS, that one is so close to completion and we want to see it fly!
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:33 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
What an... interesting subject.

Should be an intriguing build to follow.

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Apr 08, 2011, 06:18 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
definately an odd ball Pat, i should imagine it will be rather pitchy to fly with such a short fuselage, thank god for modern radio gear and expo! you might need to start preping your dodgy old club field now i can see takeoff and landing being reeeeal exciting will be interesting to see your go with lozenge, nothing against hammerd's masterpieces but your builds seem very practical with regard to tooling and method, as against Hammerd's dream world workshop if ya know what i mean, more something that i can realisticly aspire to attempt (and i do mean attemp) myself.

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:05 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,644 Posts
Pat,
Don't let me stop you mate. If you want the balanced ailerons, go for it.

Actually, on the subject of moments, although it's a lot more span, the nose and tail moments, taken from the bottom wing position, are pretty close to to those on the Powell Racer. From the balance point, the DXI actually has the longer tail moment by almost 3". Nose length, of course, is a different matter entirely.
It isn't until you compare size for size that you really see how short the DXI is. All good fun though.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:18 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,634 Posts
Tail moment is an interesting thing. I was always afraid of a plane with a short tail because of the thoughts of ground loops and twitchy behaviour.

For some reason I built Pete's 36" Camel. That was one of the most well behaved planes I have ever flown (unless you put over 100W/lb on it ). It would fly hands off for quite a while. I would practice with it, flying complete circuits with just the left hand (rudder and throttle). Yep, even landings were done on rudder and throttle alone. The elevator was no more sensitive than any other plane once the throws were set up correctly (enough to flare for a landing and make nice round loops). I don't use exponential either.

High rates did make it more aerobatic, and, more sensitive, but, also not very scale. 4 big ailerons will make it roll at 360 a second if you want and the big elevator can make it loop almost in it's own length.

So, just set it up the way you want to fly and ignore how short the tail is.

After that I don't bother thinking about short tails.

charlie

PS if short tails were that scary then why can a flying wing be so docile to fly?
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:46 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,418 Posts
Data Files has a little book that claims to have the DXI in it. Never ordered and haven't been able to get around to starting the DXI I got from Charlie yet. I am gong to do the stained wood version though, and try to learn from Hammereds thread too.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:29 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,337 Posts
Interesting how towards the end of the war, the major German manufacturers all developed short fuselage, big nosed designs. The Siemens Shuckert D.III , Pfalz D.VII/V.III, and this odd ball Albatros. An interesting project for sure. I'm sure you will do your usual fantastic job!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Apr 08, 2011, 11:03 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Great subject. Subscribed!
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:12 PM
Homo Modelicus
Hungary
Joined Jan 2005
686 Posts
Great subject, subscribed too.
BaZsiX is offline Find More Posts by BaZsiX
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:56 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Mar 2008
1,334 Posts

She is spunky looking.
hammerd is offline Find More Posts by hammerd
Old Apr 08, 2011, 05:36 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Pat,
Don't let me stop you mate. If you want the balanced ailerons, go for it.
Pete
Thanks Pete - I may do that. If the side photo of the balanced version is looked at closely, the upper tip profile looks a bit strange - maybe to acommodate the balance horns....unless my eyes deceive me, the undercamber seems to be missing!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2011, 06:29 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,887 Posts
Pat, I think it looks a little strange because it is drooping. Look at the far end of the aileron and also at the aileron on the opposite wing and you will see that they are deflected for a right bank. Accounting for the droop, it looks to me like the aileron would line up with the wing tip fairly well if it wasn't deflected.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel