HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:41 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,765 Posts
New Product
HobbyKing Coota foam Seaplane Plug-n-Fly

Just found this, what do you guys think? Anybody ordered one?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14273

Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:53 AM
Joined Aug 2008
197 Posts
There is an old thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...557550&page=16

Seems to be an ArtTech plane, first post in the above thread is in Aug 2006, and last post is a few days ago, this mth! (Sept 2010).

Both the Coota and the Icon A5 are out of stock at HobbyKing... I am trying to decide which to get.
I may have to go with the smaller Coota, since my flying pond doesn't seem to be that spacious, never tried a seaplane in it before.

Can I assume that the 930mm WS Art-Tech Coota is better suited for smaller airspaces compared to the 1380mm WS GuanLi Icon A5?
kaon is offline Find More Posts by kaon
Last edited by kaon; Sep 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:13 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,920 Posts
Hi Kaon,

Both planes are very light and need minimal space to take off and land, see for yourself on the youtube movies of both planes.

Be aware the Icon A5 may have issues regarding the shape (height) of the step in the hull, making it virtually impossible to take off from the water.

As it's larger, it's my favourite, but I'll hold off until I get conformation that the hullshape issue has been solved (by the factory, not by the buyer with a knife...).

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2008
197 Posts
Hi pompebled,
I did read about the Icon A5's hull step cutting, and take off difficulties too.

But I also kind of prefer the GuanLi Icon A5, because:
bigger,
EPO,
sold by HK without electronics, prefer to pick my own, and size the motor, ESC, batt, prop according to users' recommendations.

I did read about the difficulty with the motor-mount area though, requires foam-cutting.

That and I hope HK gets them in stock fast!
kaon is offline Find More Posts by kaon
Last edited by kaon; Sep 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:52 PM
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
287 Posts
Initial reation.

Just got mine and Initial reactions.

1) Foam is the brittle stuff.
2) Added a deflector and vent to keep water spray from going into the engine vent slot.
3) Attached two magnetic covers with thread to the fuse because an impact on water would loose them.
4) A couple at our flying field already. Very fast and aerobatic plane. Nice looking.
5) Added protective 3mill high wear, slippery UHMW tape on: wings leading edge front, pontoons lower edge and keel line, bow nose to tail.
6) Rudder hinge was packing tape, replaced with real hinge.
More to come...
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:28 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,914 Posts
Coota extralight... post removed and transferred to

the proper, more active thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=410

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista