HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:02 PM
Joined Nov 2009
5 Posts
Hi Bill,

I have some inquiries to make regarding the accessibility of the sensors via I2C.

You see, I'm using a 3rd party microcontroller for a school project and my team is required to use an external program (National Instruments LabVIEW) to display outputs from the microsensors (Altimeter & Airspeed). We've configured from the Data Recorder (v8.03) and set it to 3rd party mode by connecting the sensors to the eLogger.

Kindly refer to my screenshot attachment, I've entered the inputs according to your Microsensor-I2C manual.

LEGEND:
RED = UNKNOWN INPUTS (Kindly assist here)
BLUE = OUTPUTS
YELLOW = ADDRESS ENDIANNESS

Can you assist me in finding what are the remaining inputs I have to access the I2C sensor? Also, is it a must to enter pseudo codes?

Thank you.
cloudstrife100 is offline Find More Posts by cloudstrife100
Last edited by cloudstrife100; Nov 29, 2009 at 04:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2009, 01:04 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3 Posts
Hi Billpa,

Is it possible to send me a file with the blob of data?

I can communicate with the device over i2c so if I can just send this blob to it, I should have the sensor in 3rd party mode. This would help me a lot and solve my problem.

Thanks,
Mark
markgriffin is offline Find More Posts by markgriffin
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:32 AM
Russian Federation, Kirovskaya oblast, Kirov
Joined Oct 2007
20 Posts
Is it possible to connect custom sensor to E-Logger via i2c?
SGordon is offline Find More Posts by SGordon
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:59 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
cloudstrife100, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help with that, as I am not familiar with that program. I think the only way to debug that issue is to write your own microcontroller code and debug the interface. Or, maybe someone else on the forum is familiar?

Mark, I'm sorry but it will just be too involved for us to do that. We'd need to document the command protocol for sending the data, as well as capturing the data (it's generated on the fly). I wish there were more hours in the day!

SGordon, there's not a good way to connect custom sensors to the eLogger.

Wow, I'm definitely the grim reaper here today.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:48 AM
Joined Nov 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
cloudstrife100, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help with that, as I am not familiar with that program. I think the only way to debug that issue is to write your own microcontroller code and debug the interface. Or, maybe someone else on the forum is familiar?

Mark, I'm sorry but it will just be too involved for us to do that. We'd need to document the command protocol for sending the data, as well as capturing the data (it's generated on the fly). I wish there were more hours in the day!

SGordon, there's not a good way to connect custom sensors to the eLogger.

Wow, I'm definitely the grim reaper here today.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Hi Bill,

It's unfortunate to hear that you aren't familiar with the program
In that case, may I ask you to assist me in giving me the inputs for the program I'm using?

The most important information I really need is as follows:
1) Number of bytes to read from the altimeter & airspeed microsensors
2) EEPROM Starting Address (of the sensors)
3) Number of address bytes (referring to the address of the sensors)

All these parameters are actually referring to the sensors and not my microcontroller. If you're able to provide me with these information, I'm very sure that my program would be able to work properly

Hope to hear your reply soon!

Regards,
Cloud
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:43 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudstrife100 View Post
Hi Bill,

It's unfortunate to hear that you aren't familiar with the program
In that case, may I ask you to assist me in giving me the inputs for the program I'm using?

The most important information I really need is as follows:
1) Number of bytes to read from the altimeter & airspeed microsensors
2) EEPROM Starting Address (of the sensors)
3) Number of address bytes (referring to the address of the sensors)

All these parameters are actually referring to the sensors and not my microcontroller. If you're able to provide me with these information, I'm very sure that my program would be able to work properly

Hope to hear your reply soon!

Regards,
Cloud
Have you looked at the sample C code? (given in first post on this thread)

Translating between text based languages and LabVIEW (which I've used since 1992) is part of the learning experience.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:22 PM
Joined Nov 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hahn View Post
Have you looked at the sample C code? (given in first post on this thread)

Translating between text based languages and LabVIEW (which I've used since 1992) is part of the learning experience.

Hi Alan,

I'm not well-versed at programming myself, since I'm an Aerospace student. So I only know the basics of LabVIEW.

I suppose you're referring to the pseudo codes right?

I did mentioned this to a support engineer @ National Instruments, he has seen the codes but he told me this:

"The pseudo codes are not something that you would need to enter to the sensor to get a reading.
Instead, the pseudo code is there to let you know how you should perform the I2C communication.
That said, it should be fairly standard for all I2C devices so I do not see any problems with that."

Therefore, my problem is - I really need the remaining 3 input information to get my VI working

Regards,
Cloud
Old Dec 03, 2009, 08:31 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Hi Cloud,

There is no EEPROM involved with accessing the sensor. I think the next step would be for you to track down somebody at your university who is familiar both with the labview program and firmware programming in general. Sorry that I'm not being of much help on this!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2009, 10:51 PM
Doppler wrangler
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
What are the values of I2C_WRITE_BIT and I2C_READ_BIT. They are not defined in the pseudo code.
hyperdyne is offline Find More Posts by hyperdyne
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:21 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Hi, the write bit is zero, and the read bit is 0x01.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:27 AM
Joined Nov 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi Cloud,

There is no EEPROM involved with accessing the sensor. I think the next step would be for you to track down somebody at your university who is familiar both with the labview program and firmware programming in general. Sorry that I'm not being of much help on this!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Hi Bill,

I've contacted an engineer from the software company (LabVIEW) and we still have problems accessing the sensors. He suspected that the problem is that the I2C addresses you've put into the manual is incorrect. Can you please verify it?

May I also know what's the use of the values of I2C_READ_BIT & I2C_WRITE BIT? Again, is it a need to enter pseudo codes in order to access the sensors?

Thank you.

Regards,
Cloud
Last edited by cloudstrife100; Dec 18, 2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Hi Cloud,

We've had several people use the pseudocode/addresses successfully, so I don't think they are incorrect.

Re the use of the read and write bits, I'd recommend a quick read of the I2C specification (you should be able to find it via Google). The explanation for these bits is fairly nuanced.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2010, 02:54 PM
Doppler wrangler
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Bill,

Thanks. What is the max sample rate the altimeter board can accept without making it mad?

And do you know the std dev of measurements made by the alt? I am reading data at 10Hz right now and I get non-zero measurements with the sensor on the bench. I am just trying to figure out if this is normal or if something else is awry...
hyperdyne is offline Find More Posts by hyperdyne
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2009
94 Posts
I've been lucky to get one of the new Hitec aurora 9 radio systems with telemetry, Now all we need is the format for the recievers telemetry information. It uses a servo plug to interface the telemerty info to the transmitter. No info other than that, the hitec telelmetry stuff is supposed to be avail feb this year. I'm hoping they provide the info to allow the eagletree to send data as well. I have a eagle tree v3 and would be happy to help beta test.
firehopper is offline Find More Posts by firehopper
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:11 PM
Joined Nov 2009
5 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you mind recommending any simple I2C programs that is compatible with the sensors? We're running out of time for our little project so we need your help in assisting us in this matter. Unlike the program that comes together with the sensors, it should be one that we can send commands and read them.

Thank you.

Regards,
Cloud