SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 17, 2015, 09:38 AM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
164 Posts
Discussion
Help. Need some advice from the veterans.

Been in RC forever, build and fly turbine jets, cars , helicopters etc.. but for some reason have never been into boats, and I live on a huge still lake, pond!! Well this year I want to do something nice, but would like some input from the veterans..Keep in mind I am an exeperianced modeler.

Ive been looking into buying, building an RC GAS boat and I want something NICE, FAST and fun. Ive come down to 2 types of boats and would like to know what anybodies thoughts are. I would greatly appreciate it.

1, Aeromarine Thunderbolt or Chaos. I love watching the hydros go across the water, and this is what I really want, but is is true they basically only turn clockwise?? And you have to kind of throw it to get it going on the water??? Seems like it takes the fun out of hydros..

2, Proboat Rockstar 48 RTR. I like this boat also because its ready to go, and seems to do everything, But have been reading, for the money I can build something faster and better quality. 1K for 40 MPH doesn't appeal to me too much. I know I would buy it, and then drop another motor in there. Doesn't seem to cost effective.

Could someone help put and chime in here for me??? Thanks for any help
LTR450 is offline Find More Posts by LTR450
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:25 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
3,008 Posts
It's a good thing that you said veterans rather than experts!
I just replied to the same posting on RCU, I hope that it helps out a little bit.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Mar 17, 2015, 05:48 PM
BAH MINI H 4 Life
Joined Sep 2013
459 Posts
Join jrcbd aka Jim's boat dock
Don't waist your $ on that rockstar pos lol
Buy a real hobby grade . AC , Rico, CP KAT, AM, RC BOAT WORKS f41, and lots more .most parts to build are at gizmoengines fast shipping great prices
Good luck

Pic of CP KAT
632bigduke is offline Find More Posts by 632bigduke
Old Mar 17, 2015, 06:03 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
3,008 Posts
I've been helping him out over on RCU with a Gas Sport Hydro.
I've got a Stryker F-41 but have been battling teething problems in the handling department. I'll find out if I have it figured out or not once the ponds thaw.
I was looking at Octavio's CP Kat and the AC R-42 when I was Cat shopping. Tim Martin recently got one of the CP Kat's so I'm waiting to see how he likes it. Our buddy Wally sure likes his Aeromarine's.
My F-41. BTW, that's one of the Gizmo Rev-Unlimiteds in that but modded by Suicidal.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 07:38 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
164 Posts
Im posting everywhere lmao!!! Another aspect of RC to drain my wallet into...Im getting some really good help and I might have something Im going to put together. But when I see pics of these different boats I get confused all over again..

I did decide not to go with the rockstar, Might pull the trigger on an insane Hydro. Talked to Steve over there and he was super helpful...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 07:41 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
164 Posts
And he also advised me to join Jims boat dock, which I did...Now I have multiple forums to consume my day and be less productive...lol
Old Mar 17, 2015, 08:38 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
3,008 Posts
Try retirement! Add winter and a pile of boats ready to hit the water once it thaws! I'm bouncing all over the forum sites and Facebook. I got so bored I built a tugboat, why I don't know.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:33 AM
BAH MINI H 4 Life
Joined Sep 2013
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
I've been helping him out over on RCU with a Gas Sport Hydro.
I've got a Stryker F-41 but have been battling teething problems in the handling department. I'll find out if I have it figured out or not once the ponds thaw.
I was looking at Octavio's CP Kat and the AC R-42 when I was Cat shopping. Tim Martin recently got one of the CP Kat's so I'm waiting to see how he likes it. Our buddy Wally sure likes his Aeromarine's.
My F-41. BTW, that's one of the Gizmo Rev-Unlimiteds in that but modded by Suicidal.
Ron I love that color !! I want to buy that boat !!! Or the hull lol
What's your set up ? Maybe I can help . My 2nd boat was a F41 with a SS 29.5 and a 6717 from Prop works and it was on rails and Wally helped me get 75-777 mph with a 2818 saw wheel .

As far as the insane hydro that's a nice boat !! My 1st boat was a well tunned Herzog hurricane and I wish I still had it and the f41

Ron
Wally only runs SAW with his Sprintcats but yeh the 42" would make a great race boat .
I'm sure the CP KAT is a winner with Os set up help it's sure to be a winner

Good luck to all
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:25 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
3,008 Posts
The guy I go boating with here has the 42" Sprint Cat and I've driven it a few times. I let him drive mine also. Anyway, his handles great and is fast for having a stock RCMK in it, good enough to race. It does lefts as well as it goes right.
I kind of avoided the R-42 as nobody seemed to be sure on how to set up the driveline, either hang the strut off the back or under the hull.
This one I did some swapping with Kevin Sheren for. He bought it from Vince but then decided to go another route. I started going with another color besides yellow and it matches my Rampage because they are made by the same person at RC Boatworks. They built my Insane Jersey Skiff also but that's all black.
I did get info from Ron Buck on how to set it up and Kevin told me how Antron Brown did his. Both said that my CG should be so-and-so inches from the transom but mine came out further back and still plows badly in the turns. I've seen pix of Antron's boat and he uses heavier things in his like a wood radio box. I also studied pictures that my daughter-in-law took from the Gas Nat's of other F-41's like Tim Martin's and Eric Lis'.
I've still got a Chinese Falcon 41 in my fleet that I went all the way through during the winter.
I looked at O's CP Kat because I liked the purple that he offers. The deck though reminded me of an old Ford Falcon from the early `60's. His seems to ride a little nose high. Maybe that's the way it runs best but looks like it could blow over at speed.
Some love the Aeromarine Conquest. Randy Rapedius does really well with his but unless you order it from Carlo then it probably won't have the taped seams as it's a real weak spot.

The author here is probably reading this and wondering what we're typing about as we know the people and names.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:18 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
164 Posts
Thats fine, I love reading along..I did buy a boat today, after exhaustive thinking..I ended buying a Bonzi 50 carbon/Kev cat..With custom paint scheme to my liking..I gave them full autonomy on the painting but told them what I wanted..I have a feeling this is going to come out unbelievable and unique..Told him not to send me pics as I want to open the box and see how it comes out..So I will post a pic when I get it..

They are putting the stuffing tube, hardware, carbon servo box, tank, rudder etc..Im going to install motor, servos etc.. I'm going to order the hydro from insane boats after a couple of runs on this..I wanted something a little more forgiving than a hydro and Im not keen on the deep v's.I will keep you posted as I hear
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:18 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
164 Posts
Here is a pic of what got me going lol
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:35 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
3,008 Posts
If it's going to be a custom paint job, they've got one of the best in the business as he also paints some of the most recognizable full-sized offshore racers in the country. You won't be disappointed. The guy goes by Oversprayer.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:38 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
164 Posts
Thats funny, because when I was going the hydro route..I talked to Doug at Oversprayer. Ive seen a lot of his work on Jets etc.. Ya he's very good...So I'm excited!!!!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:38 AM
BAH MINI H 4 Life
Joined Sep 2013
459 Posts
I think O's CP KAT doesn't come In purple ( I'm sure the pics I posted are of a painted purple ) I could be wrong .
The R42 from what I understand works great with strut in or out . O can also help with that boats set up. I didn't ever get into heat racing because there's noting close but I would be all In if there was lol.
Octavio knows his stuff when it comes to anything dealing with a gas boat . I've got his number if you want it .

OP
your bonzzz looks GREAT !!!! Oversprayer does professional work !! I just wish I coujd afford $1000-$2000 for paint lol
Good luck to all
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:44 AM
BAH MINI H 4 Life
Joined Sep 2013
459 Posts
They are putting the stuffing tube, hardware, carbon servo box, tank, rudder etc..Im going to install motor, servos etc.. I'm going to order the hydro from insane boats after a couple of runs on this..I wanted something a little more forgiving than a hydro and Im not keen on the deep v's.I will keep you posted as I hear

Maybe you'd be " keen" on this V . My friend Joe text these