SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2015, 07:49 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
331 Posts
Discussion
Hand tendon pain

Got a used Validol which flies like a dream. Only 4 or 5 sessions total. It has really opened up a new level to my flying.
Occasionally I feel some tendon stretching pain in my throwing hand. Definitely a stretching sensation from wrist through first 3 fingers. This afternoon I had some pretty intense pain during first throw. And still have some have it.

I'm in my mid forties and dealing with the usual mid forties issues, but decent fitness overall.

I didn't do any type of warm-up today, and I'll change that. And I guess I'll start with easy tosses first.

Any other advice?
Thanks.
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
Last edited by TyFlies; Feb 21, 2015 at 10:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:30 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
6,129 Posts
Relax the hand, let it be stretched out. Hold the plane in a relaxed manner.

https://jordansequillion.files.wordp...07/fingers.jpg - Ignore this is for olympic archery, but take a look at how the top two fingers and the thumb are utilized. The thumb basically isn't utilized. One can end up adding a great deal of useless tension to the hand doing things with the thumb. Notice where the string is on the fingers? Put the throwing blade there. See how the hand is fairly stretched out, flat across the back, but relaxed? That's what you want. Also notice how the pinky is relaxed as well. People tend to tighten up the pinky when they don't know what to do with it. Do nothing with it but keep it relaxed.

You can practice this with a paint can. Hold the handle like shown in the picture but just using the top two fingers instead of three. Get the hand relaxed and straight. Then relax it just a tiny bit more to let the can drop.

I spent 20 years training at a fairly high level for this type of shooting, about a half million shots. Plus a bit of coaching. Done right, one doesn't even need to get calluses. The hand can stay pretty relaxed holding 50# which is fully sufficient for a full power 70m+ DLG throw.

By the way, also keep the throwing arm biceps relaxed. It serves no purpose on a DLG throw. Tension there will cost you altitude. Bending the arm will cost you more altitude.

Take a break until the pain is all gone, plus a few days. Next time you go out to throw, only do light throws and work on technique. Flying low is good practice anyway.

I don't get to see what you are doing; I'm not your coach, and I'm not your doctor. I can't tell you that there is not something else going on.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Last edited by G_T; Feb 21, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:43 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
331 Posts
Great info Gerald. Thank you.
I will work on light throw technique.
And fortunately we've got a few days of ice and cold winter starting tomorrow.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:56 PM
2015 USA F3K Team Manager
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
2,263 Posts
You definitely need to warm up before you throw hard.
Doug Cronkhite is online now Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Mar 01, 2015, 03:34 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,916 Posts
Two things to consider:

1) learn to throw left handed. You may be super right handed but if your wrist is bothering you the glider may be bringing it out but there may be more at play there.

2) Consider a wrist brace when you are throwing. I have never tried this because I have never had this problem. But this might help.
http://www.cvs.com/shop/home-health-...e-skuid-835808

When I have had problems with my wrist it is because I am trying to twist the glider on the launch. If you throw it out at about a 10 to 20 degree angle and use a launch mix on the elevator you should not be stressing the writs all that much. But if you are in the early stages of carpal tunnel syndrome you might want to switch hands or try the brace.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 01, 2015, 11:53 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
331 Posts
Thanks. The brace is a good idea. I've got an old brace stored away and I'll use it for at least the first few throws next time.
Meanwhile it's a lot better and we have a few more days of marginal weather.
Last edited by TyFlies; Mar 02, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:07 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,916 Posts
I used to fly competition, but not anymore. My knee and ankle can't take it when I try to do rapid fire contest launches. But I still fly them for sport from time to time.

My first few launches are very easy. Not looking for height just getting it into the air and reading the trim.
Something like this. But note he is throwing up. You don't want to do that. Throw out, aim for the top of the trees 100 yards away.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/dl50.wmv

Next few launches are a bit stronger as I get my timing down so that I am not forcing anything.

Then I go into whatever level of launch I will use for the rest of the day. When I am going for my maximum height I actually take a short run, turn, leave the ground then plant and spin. I am not record holder but I think I have hit 150 feet which isn't bad.

When I am sport flying I try not to throw that hard.

This is a video of a DLG contest. Try to see that they are NOT throwing up from the wrist. The glider leaves the arm in a smooth arc. Now, they will put more angle on their release than you want to because, if you get the circle too angled you might hit the wing tip on a 1.5 meter DLG. On the smaller DLGs or side launched gliders you can get away with it. It is an elevator preset on the radio that takes the plane up.
F3K Contest Waidhofen/Thaya (4 min 26 sec)

DLG Contest - Video from EOS Canon 7D (4 min 42 sec)

Bruce Davidson Master Class
HLG F3K Class Preview (4 min 52 sec)
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 02, 2015 at 08:15 AM.