SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:56 AM
Team Hello Kitty
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
986 Posts
Discussion
F3J pilot interest in F5J?

While I don't have an electric Xplorer yet I admit I've been bitten by the F5J bug. Are any of you F3J guys interested in F5J? If not, I'm curious why.

I've been swapping emails with NorCal J contesters who say they're ready to start F5J, all it takes is a few clubs or regional events to get things going. Europe has been hosting serious regional F5J contests for the last 4+ years so the US is a bit behind.

Chris
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:32 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,777 Posts
I would love to fly an actual F5J event, I find the format very exciting.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2014, 03:39 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,962 Posts
So far... I've not been interested in anything with a prop on it. I just don't find it appealing in any way. This is not to put down anyone that likes it... to each his own. However, having become the quintessential purist snob... I have to remain true to my convictions. (Tongue in cheek... of course.)

One day I will get totally disgusted with dragging a winch outa the back of my truck... and I'll probably look into a motor glider... or... someone will have to pry the 1/0 battery cable outa my cold, dead fingers...

Darth Purista... AKA Darth Windbag... AKA Darth ____________ (fill in the blank)...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 29, 2014, 04:11 PM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
561 Posts
Az

We have a 5J contest every month in Mesa, AZ. Of the usual suspects over half (6 or 7) are 3J guys too. The interest is definitely growing. Larry Jolly has been coming over last couple of months to attend. Look under the Contest section in the Soaring Forum. There is a full listing of AZ competitions.

I think you'll see this start to grow. Very challenging format.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
dnbarrie11 is offline Find More Posts by dnbarrie11
Old Dec 29, 2014, 05:08 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,777 Posts
I think F5J is more exciting and fun than ALES.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2014, 06:15 PM
Nick Radle
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
2,004 Posts
I'm with shreder, for exactly the same reason. But due to the popularity of 5j/ales here in AZ, I may be forced to concede.
Bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Old Dec 29, 2014, 06:19 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,777 Posts
This guy has all kinds of good vids of F5J comps in Europe. Really got me interested. It's worth a look at his Youtube channel.

F5J 2014 German Open, Weilheim (39 min 52 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2014, 06:37 PM
Team Hello Kitty
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
986 Posts
Ali,

I like that one too. All of my favorite European F5J contest vids are here. They include some really good examples of low altitude F5J launches during fly-off rounds. Exciting to watch and (probably) even more exciting to fly in .

Chris
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Dec 29, 2014, 07:08 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude View Post
Ali,

I like that one too. All of my favorite European F5J contest vids are here. They include some really good examples of low altitude F5J launches during fly-off rounds. Exciting to watch and (probably) even more exciting to fly in .

Chris
LOL, Yup I have watched all of Jure's vids several times. I'm making it a goal of mine to try and fly in at least one comp in Europe this year.
Site Sponsor